BFA at Molloy College/CAP 21

Thanks for the curriculum link. I’ve added it to the About page for the CAP21 2023 Parents group on Facebook.

@JavaJo @CoffeeNTheatre @ZukAndSowash and anyone else that wanted CAP21 logo gear, maybe someone is finally listening to us… the CAP21 Facebook page is asking about CAP21 gear go put your vote in.

@waitingforlife I think you can thank @mhaag7 for bringing it back to Rebecca’s attention. She has some PR and marketing people working on it. Sounded promising!

Thought you’d all be interested to know that I just heard from Rebecca that merchandise is definitely coming! She’s also going to start working on some social media updates showing what Class One is up to. (I’m probably a thorn in her side, but I promise I only suggested these two things over the course of a whole year. :)) Here’s the detail on the merch…

Just wanted to update you – this is definitely going forward! I don’t know how long it will take, but from what I understand, there will be a few items (T-shirts, hoodies and possibly baseball caps) that will be physically produced and available in the on-campus store, and then other items will be made-to-order online, which is great. This means that in most cases, pretty much anything that is available for purchase in our online bookstore (which I am told is coming soon) will be able to be purchased with choice of logo at checkout.

Can’t believe mine has one more year left. Then it’s like starting all over again. I hated audition season… But now the stakes will be higher. Don’t know how you handled it @EastchesterMom

@speezagmom - I hope we alumni can get in on the merch!

@mtandsbdad - here’s what we all learn (way too late): it’s never over. The stakes just get higher. This is the life they’ve chosen. We parents just have to hang on for the ride!

For the upcoming class of cappies, S and I were talking about his vocal growth and improvement over the past year. One of the things that I didn’t know and kind of wondered about was how CAP21 handles vocal health. You hear about how this school or that scopes the kids, etc, but I never heard that about CAP21. Through S’s freshman year experience, we learned that as a part of the studio fee, the students get a vocal check-up each semester and also are scoped once for a baseline during freshman year. S learned so much about vocal anatomy and how things work. His knowledge and range has grown tremendously - and healthily over his first year. So as you hear other parents talk about how this program or that scopes their students, etc. Know that CAP21 does all those things too.

Cap 21 gear is rolling out. Not sure if the link will be allowed. If not go to the official Molloy lions gear page and search for Cap 21. They will be added items but it’s a start!

https://molloylionsgear.merchorders.com/molloy_lions__search__cap%2021

Thank you so much, @MTSongbirdMom - just ordered!!!

Ok , who’s watching the Tonys… and just saw Ali Stroker snag her Tony? CAP21 rocks!!!

Thanks for the links to the CAP 21 gear. For anyone else going to the Molloy gear site, you need to search on “cap 21”, including the space. Upper/lowercase doesn’t matter, but if you search without the space you’ll come up empty.

CAP21 does rock, but having seen both Oklahoma! and Hadestown I wanted Amber Gray to win (if you haven’t seen Hadestown you should!)

@mhaag7 - I saw Hadestown and LOVED IT! I personally agree that Amber Gray deserved to win - but if she didn’t, I’m glad it was a Cappie who did!

I have so much gratitude for having been able to see Hadestown when we visited Molloy. I don’t think I’ve ever seen something so beautiful on a stage before. I wanted it to win every Tony. But I’m also happy that a Cap21 alum got it - and her speech expressed all the bigger reasons why her win was important.

For those who haven’t already noticed this info on Facebook, there are two CAP21 shows scheduled at Molloy’s Madison Theatre for the upcoming academic year: 1) Spring Awakening (in October) & 2) Urinetown (in March)

Hello everyone, not sure if folks are still coming around this thread, but if so, any input on what to bring to move in? We have the Molloy list, just wondering if anyone has extra advice on things we might not realize are extra handy to have in the dorms and any other move in advice for folks who are coming from afar and have to think carefully about what to bring.

@tatteredandfriendly - once you arrive, you might want to go to the Container Store (about 20 minutes away in Carle Place). When D was a freshman, they sold a folding hutch for the top of the desk. It helped a lot for extra storage, and folds flat when not in use.

@tatteredandfriendly I check just about every day. (Which is kind of crazy I guess. I just got in the habit when going through the research and audition phases and haven’t fallen out of it. :)) A couple of things - Any bedding and room type stuff you order through the college linen program will magically appear in your dorm room before you arrive. We stopped and bought laundry pods at the drugstore that’s right by the Hampton in Rockville Centre and got his sheets in the wash the minute we arrived on campus. We did learn that the mattresses are quite terrible and the egg crate type foam thing I ordered was definitely not enough. You’ll want a thicker mattress topper. The storage is a bit lacking. We purchased some of those fabric storage boxes that you can fold up which went on top of the wardrobes. You can also fit some things - like your suitcases - behind the drawers under the bed. We live flying distance from the school, and you’ll want to consider what will happen with the stuff once school is out. (to possibly curb the desire for all those cute extras). S was lucky in that he became good friends with someone who lives close to the school and was willing to store a bit of stuff over the summer. Storage units are quite expensive. I think the small ones around Rockville were something like $150 per month when I looked. It sounded like a few of S’s classmates were splitting one.

The list of things they don’t want you to bring is quite extensive. Last year, I asked if they could have a keurig as the handbook expressly states no coffee makers. The Keurig was OK’d. If there is something with an automatic shut-off that is important to your kiddo, I’d ask and see if they will allow it.

There is an Avis about half a mile from the Hampton Inn. Last year, I rented a car from that location for move-in day and the day after. (Monday/Tuesday) It was a quick walk (though not the best area for a walk - there are no sidewalks and it’s along a busy road) to go pick it up. Not the best Avis location in the world, but it got us what we needed. We drove up to the Garden City/Carle Place area and shopped for all the basic necessities - like over the counter medicines, school supplies, first aid stuff, snacks, etc. This year, I found another Avis location in the Carle Place area. We’re going to stay at the Hampton up there and get a car from that Avis to run around for shopping. It’s also very close to the Carle Place train station so if we have time, we can take the train into the city. I’d highly recommend that area for any shopping. They have pretty much everything - Bed Bath & Beyond (you can shop in advance online and have it ready for pickup. We didn’t do that, but you can.), Target, Costco, Walmart (Highly recommend Target. Tried Walmart for school supplies and it was a nightmare. :neutral: Found Target after that, and it was a much better experience.), 5 below, etc.

Break a leg to the incoming Class of 2023 … what an exciting time for you, and what an experience lies ahead of you!