BFA at Molloy College/CAP 21

@EastchesterMom and @speezagmom thank you so much for all of the input! Super appreciated. We can ask the school, but do you know if we can ship stuff to the school to have it there ready for move-in? Or do we have to bring with us/buy locally everything?

Canā€™t help with that one, @tatteredandfriendly - we live an hour from campus. Look at it this way- you only have to do this once; if youā€™re staying in the dorms sophomore year (and I do recommend it because of the performance opportunities at the Madison), there will be friends who can store your stuff over the summer.

@tatteredandfriendly - I know that 2 years ago we shipped stuff directly to the school from both Amazon and some other websites and they were ok with that and also had it in the dorm when we arrived. I would expect that is still the case. You might just need to check with Residence Life as to the best shipping address to use. I seem to remember a bit of confusion on that.

UPDATE on Class One: D is at sea as I write this, and loving every minute! Iā€™m booked on a cruise in September! Molloy/CAP21 has posted about the success of several Class One grads, including D.

@EastchesterMom Thatā€™s so awesome! I saw the post on your daughter and knew it was her because you had told us about the weathervane internship she did. Glad to hear she is enjoy itand how fun to get to go on a cruise to see her perform. I keep hoping that S will pursue cruise line work someday so we can do the same!.

As a freshman with the Bronze dining plan, how much should we budget for food outside of this? Also, how much should we budget for transportation for their commuting? Anything outside of that I should be thinking of (outside of tuition, rooming and fees)? Putting the whole budget together this week. Thanks for your help!

@CoffeeNTheatre - Iā€™m too far removed from this to be accurate about the costs, but when D was a sophomore, the sophomores and the freshmen got together and shared LIRR monthly tickets - it worked pretty well because freshmen went to Manhattan on Mondays and Wednesdays and sophomores went Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. If this is still the case, thatā€™s a nice savings.

@CoffeeNTheatre - my D also shared a LIRR monthly pass with her big and that worked for them. But @speezagmom posted detail about LIRR and subway costs if you donā€™t share a pass, look at post #854 or just search for LIRR and you will find it.

Sorryā€¦ Iā€™ve been checked out for a couple of days. My estimate is about $1800 for the year for LIRR plus Subway for freshmen doing 10 passes by themselves. That said I think fares went up slightly right before the end of the year so that might get be slightly light. Because the sophomores have evening rehearsals, your student might find it slightly inconvenient to try to get the pass for the next day but I think it worked well for some people.

Not sure what to say on food. S had the silver plan last year and had a couple hundred left over. He also bought some groceries a few times. You might be right on with the bronze. I think thatā€™s what S chose for this year.

Good luck to the incoming class of 2023 starting classes next week. I know that the Class of 2021 started rehearsal for their song and dance project today! Also, has anyone heard anything new on the logo gear? @speezagmom @mhaag7 @MTSongbirdMom Iā€™m surprised they didnā€™t do a sweatshirt or hoodie option instead of just the tshirts. Also, under the main category of sweatshirts there is one style that says select a logo but there is nothing for CAP21. It would be nice if they had one of those with a simple Molloy/CAP21 logo similar to the various sports ones they show.

Itā€™s been so quiet out here! @waitingforlife - super interesting to hear that rehearsal started today. That means I should expect our move time to be earlier next year. Weā€™ll be moving S (Class of 2022) in over this coming weekend. Excited to get to see '22ā€™s first project performance this fall! Unfortunately, I havenā€™t heard anything new on the logo gear.

Good luck to the class of 2023 - and best of luck to all the parents doing move-in and drop-off. May it all go smoothly! I think the '22 ā€œbigsā€ have some fun things planned for their class of 2023 ā€œlittlesā€. They are in good hands!

@waitingforlife @speezagmom Thanks for the wishes! We are all packed except for what is in the laundry I am doing as I type. My daughter got a picture of their room yesterday and she is super excited to be there and get going although saying goodbye to friends has been hard. Best of luck to your kids during their junior and sophomore year respectively. Safe travels for all headed there this weekend!

As far as product wear we were told they would roll out more items if the t-shirts sold well. But it probably wouldnā€™t hurt if people applied some reminder pressure!

Now that they are a couple weeks in, how are things going for everyone??

My sophomore D has been SWAMPED, and I was hoping it might start to level out, but she was just cast in the Madison Theatreā€™s upcoming production: Give our Regards to Broadway, which is October 13, so I foresee long nights and weekends in the near future. No rest for the weary!! :wink: But also, very excited for her!!

How are the freshpeople doing? My D loves her littles!! :smiley: (she has ā€œtwinsā€ - they had to double up some of the littles with a big because the incoming class numbers were quite a bit higher than the sophomores).

@waitingforlife - hope the Song and Dance project goes well!

@speezagmom - Iā€™m jealous that youā€™re gonna get to see '22ā€™s project - we canā€™t make the trip this time :disappointed: Youā€™ll have to let me know what you think!!

@JavaJo Weā€™ll see if Iā€™m going or not. Father-in-law is having some health problems so weā€™re waiting to see how that shakes out before we book flights. I very much hope to go.

Congrats to your D on the casting at the Madison! S didnā€™t audition - he said something about the info coming out on facebook or something and not seeing it? He does no social mediaā€¦I have to keep working on him. I think he was hesitant to audition anyway due to the expected homework load so perhaps heā€™s placating me. If I was you, Iā€™d be more excited to see the Madison show as Iā€™m not typically as interested in straight plays. I hope you get to go.

I hope all the ā€œfreshpersonsā€ are doing well. (Thatā€™s what Henry calls them). Across the board, it sounds like the sophomores have a heavy load this semester.

CLASS ONE UPDATE: Iā€™m writing this from the theatre on the Celebrity Summit, where D just finished a show! D is leaving the Summit next month to - drum roll, please! - join the inaugural crew of the Celebrity Apex! She will be creating and rehearsing the shows for this brand-new ship, which makes its maiden voyage in April 2020 and will have ports of call in the Mediterranean and the Baltic Sea. Needless to say, she loves this life! Two other Class One alums have cruise ship contracts, one with Celebrity and the other with Disney. Break a leg to the freshpersons and all Cappies!

@JavaJo Congrats to your daughter on the Madison production. @EastchesterMom congrats to your D as she continues to have success after graduation!

@speezagmom - so sorry to hear your father in law is not well! Prayers for healing and recovery! And thank you! But, that stinks that S didnā€™t get to audition - although heā€™s probably the smart one for not adding more to his plate :wink:

@EastchesterMom - congratulations to your D!!! How very exciting!

And thank you @waitingforlife ! She is very excited! :smiley:

As near as I can tell the newbies are thriving. My S reports just loving the community, finding really good people in his cohort. And yes, the Bigs were really sweet and clever with all that they did for our littles. Giving them gifts before revealing who they are and such.

So happy to hear it, @tatteredandfriendly! This program is incredibly welcoming. The going may often be rough, but the camaraderie will carry them through. My D and her classmates are proof that the training is top notch; so many are booking! The world is waiting for your kiddos!

Hi @EastchesterMom and @waitingforlife, weā€™re headed to Molloy for story theater in November. This will be our first visit for a project performance. Is it important to buy tickets in advance? The website doesnā€™t seem to allow purchases so you have to call a service. Made me wonder if we can just buy at the door. Any advice?