Big envelope from Bard College - could this be news, or just a poorly thought out mailing?

My son received a large envelope today from the Bard Admission office. He’s out all day, and then I’m out all evening, and I can hardly keep myself from opening it… I would not expect a decision this early, and I would not expect a decision by USPS, but why would a college send a “large envelope” at this time? I keep checking to see if anyone else has posted about this, but not found anything.

Anyone else?

The acceptances we’ve received in the mail have all said “congratulations” on the outside. (Fingers crossed for an acceptance though!)

If he just recently submitted an application, it could be a packet of info/publicity. My daughter got something similar after submitting an application to a different school. Most colleges give initial notification of acceptance in the portal and then send something to accepted students.

1 Like

Can u check his admission portal ? If he’s in it’ll be there. A little snooping :slight_smile:

Nope, it was just more promotional material. I guess the kids don’t have the “big envelope” association, but their parents do! Bard says decisions will be out on March 8, which is probably the first one he’ll get. He’s not even that interested, although I think it would be a great place for him.

A few years ago I heard about kids using the USPS Informed Delivery which shows you pictures of your mail to guess whether they were in or not. A picture of a fat envelope was good news, a thin one probably not. I don’t know if that works anymore, so many colleges have gone to using online portals to announce decisions.

I know of no school that still uses postal mail to announce decisions. If there are still any holdouts out there, I’d love to know.

One of my daughter’s schools sent a mailed paper decision the same day as the portal decision. We still got the portal decision first, of course, but the paper decision came shortly after.

Marist doesn’t do portals. My daughter had to wait until she received her admission in the mail.

1 Like

Thanks. I should have said “I know of no school that still uses only postal mail to announce decisions.”
Yes, many/most do send in a physical letter later, and maybe a welcome package or swag, etc. But decision is announced online on the portal first.

Didn’t know Marist didn’t do portals. Interesting.