Bikes and busses

Hi,

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide. Our tour was a little rushed and we weren’t able to get everything answered.

Is bike parking a problem anywhere? Do people bring their bikes into the dorms at night? How far are the trails or streets to the grocery store?

Do the university busses have stops at stores and restaurants around Tuscaloosa?

I am getting some conflicting info. I know not all dorms rooms have a kitchen area but do all dorm halls have access to some kind of kitchen?

ROLL TIDE!

Regarding bicycles…my DS was one that used his bicycle all the time. Others have commented that their student never used theirs. He was always able to find a place to park his bike outside his classroom and dorm building. He would also bring his bike into his dorm (RCE) at times. In fact, by the end of the year, he had 3 bicycles! His mountain bike did not get used as much as he wanted. He wore his cheap Wal-Mart road bike out and replaced it with a nicer “fixie”. The dorm (RCE) had a closet in the hall where he kept two (agreed upon with roomies to use the space).

The grocery store - Publix - is at the edge of campus. Target is about one-two miles, depending on which dorm you’re in. The bus has a special route to Target on Sunday’s.

The suite style dorms have a small kitchen with full size refrigerator and microwave. There is a full size community kitchen on a couple of floors in each dorm.

<<<
Thanks in advance for any info you can provide. Our tour was a little rushed and we weren’t able to get everything answered.

Is bike parking a problem anywhere? Do people bring their bikes into the dorms at night? How far are the trails or streets to the grocery store?

[QUOTE=""]

[/QUOTE]

Some bring them into their dorm, some just use a strong lock and lock them to the bike racks. If you do lock, then be sure to get a long chain so that it can be roped thru body and wheels to discourage theft.

[QUOTE=""]
Do the university busses have stops at stores and restaurants around Tuscaloosa? <<<<

[/QUOTE]

Since Publix is practically on campus, students use that store. I’d have to check the bus stops, but likely the Crimson Ride does have a stop that is very close to Publix. (just checked…there is a stop across the street from Publix)

Many restaurants are by Publix.

On Sundays, the Crimson Ride goes to both Super Target and Midtown Village (at MV, there are many more restaurants).

http://crimsonride.ua.edu/shopping_route/

Here is a master map of the campus routes
http://crimsonride.ua.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2014/08/2014-15-2-page-map.pdf

[QUOTE=""]
I am getting some conflicting info. I know not all dorms rooms have a kitchen area but do all dorm halls have access to some kind of kitchen?

[/QUOTE]

@UAHousing Can you answer the above

Thank you! So much to learn. Appreciate the help!

When we went to orientation (Bama Bound), during one of the presentations (dealing with parking, transportation, etc) they talked about how many bike racks were purchased so kids that use bikes can have a place to park it and lock it.

DD is in engineering and in Million Dollar Band, so she has a distance to go to get to band practice in the fall, 5 days a week. So she would use her bike for that. During the spring term, did not use so much. Will live off campus (just barely off campus) and will have her bike. Apt has bike racks too. As another has said, she would put her bike in her dorm room sometimes (especially on school breaks).

TIP: Be sure to register your bike!!! http://urec.sa.ua.edu/orbikeregistration.cfm
Also, here is additional info when I clicked on that site:

Bicycle Registration- Bicycle registration is FREE. For a complete set of rules and regulations regarding the UA Bicycle Policy please visit www.bamaparking.ua.edu. The bicycle serial number is necessary to proceed.

If one is living on campus, the Crimson Ride buses are excellent.

can i bring a bike onto the bus? like if i take the bus to the store and buy a bike can i bring the bike with me on the bus to get back to campus?

Aren’t there bike racks on the front of the buses?

there are not bike racks on the front of the buses at least not the buses that i have taken but i did buy my bike at the store and was able to take it back with me on the bus thank goodness