Bikes at Bama

<p>I was just wondering a few things about having a bike up at the capstone. I think my son is going to have to take a bike because some of his classes are really close together, but I know they started that bama bikes program. How likely is it that he will one of those seeing as there’s only 36? Alsobis there covered bike racks outside the residence halls specifically ridgcrest?</p>

<p>Sent from my SCH-I500 using CC App</p>

<p>I know there are covered bike racks outside Ridgecrest East. Not sure about West and South but I’d imagine there are. </p>

<p>Also each suite has a storage unit that only the suite members have a key for. A bike can easily be stored upright in there if need be.</p>

<p>All of the Ridgecrests have bike racks, though I don’t know if South has a covered bike rack like East and West have.</p>

<p>Just departed T-town this afternoon. We have a bike strapped to the back of our SUV as we cruise north on 65. Next to our daughters bike were several green bikes with “REGIONS” on the bar. My daughter informed me that they were part of the rental bike program. Seemed quite popular.
Her bike was parked outside of Lakeside East for more than a month. It was “tagged”. She said that you we’re supposed to register it with student services. She didn’t. Apparently, some bikes were removed from the dorms that had been left during summer.
The bike was totally unnecessary in my opinion. However, she rode it to the rec center and the pool a handful of times when students with cars weren’t going. Never to class…she said that the hill in front of Ten Hoor was too big. Her dad and i got a big chuckle out of that.</p>

<p>NJ-not relevant but comical to me…daughter rode her bike to “church” on the other side of the stadium every Sunday :wink: two of the three suite mates went to church every Sunday.</p>

<p>Are you asking if it’s likely that your son will have frequent access to a “free bike”? </p>

<p>That’s hard to say. There are several locations that have those “free bikes”…but any one area may not have enough for anyone who wants one on a daily basis. </p>

<p>for someone who will use a bike regularly (like daily) it’s probably best to bring one. :)</p>

<p>Are you asking if there are racks for kids to lock up their own bikes? I know that outside of Ridgecrest South there are bike racks where tons of kids have their bikes locked to the racks.</p>

<p>Ridgecrest South has several large bike racks, but there are no covered racks so, expect a wet seat in the rain or bring a small hand towel to wipe the seat off. :)</p>

<p>My son used his bike a lot traveling all over campus. I don’t think he has been on a bus except for the airport shuttle. He says that biking is definitely the fastest way around.</p>

<p>We also looked initially into the Bama bikes program. But after discovering that you have to renew the bike rental fairly quickly, it made more sense to buy one in Tuscaloosa. </p>

<p>Son bought his at the Bike Shop on Hackberry Lane after disappointing results at Target and Wal-Mart. The shop also sells used high quality bikes that have been refurbished. In addition, my son has his bike serviced there and is usually pleased with the work and the staff.</p>

<p>Son’s bike has been very useful in getting him around the campus, especially in getting from his math class to his engineering classes, the farthest buildings in his schedule. It’s also good transportation for him since he does not have to worry about finding a parking spot, paying for parking fees, or insurance or gas. He can supplement his need for a car by registering wih Zipcar, which has a presence on campus. In addition, he tends to cut it close with time, so his bike makes sure he arrives generally on time. He bikes to church but won’t when the roads are wet because mud would fly up on the back of his good pants. </p>

<p>He generally brings his bike into his room. He’s meticulous about keeping it clean but he’s funny that way. He’s never had a problem, however, leaving the bike locked with a cable outside the buildings.</p>

<p>Are bikes really necessary? My son is an avid hiker and loves to walk. (And he’s used to very hilly terrain, so flat-as-a-pancake Tuscaloosa will be easy street for him.)</p>

<p>He’ll live in Riverside East – very outskirts of campus – but practically all his classes are in either Ten Hoor or Comer. He does have two classes smack up against each other: his CL222 class gets out at 9:15 and his En103 class starts at 9:30. However, CL222 is in Ten Hoor, and his section of En103 is in Rowand-Johnson–and it looks (from the map) as though those two buildings are right next to each other?? (We hope??) So, hopefully, CL222 won’t run long, and he’ll be able to sprint to Rowand-Johnson by 9:30. </p>

<p>Anyway–it would seem that a bike might be more trouble than it’s worth, since he’ll probably spend most of his time walking among Ten Hoor, Rowand, and Comer…too close together to warrant biking, I’m thinking?? Any thoughts? (Thanks…sorry for hijacking thread.)</p>

<p>If his classes are mostly in that west corner of campus then he won’t have any problem at all and certainly won’t need to ride a bike to get there. </p>

<p>Yes, Ten Hoor & Rowand Johnson are right next to each other. So he won’t have any trouble getting from one to another in the allotted time. Heck he’d probably have time to run to starbucks in the Ferg if he wanted and still make it back to his next class in time. </p>

<p>Where a bike really comes in handy is when going to the math lab in Tutweiler from the dorms, the rec center, or to the Coleman Coliseum area. But they do have buses that run to those places as well.</p>

<p>*Are bikes really necessary? *</p>

<p>NO…my kids never used bikes. </p>

<p>One thing that students need to be aware of when creating their schedules is to try to put their classes in an order that doesn’t require criss-crossing of campus through-out the day. Typically, once a student makes that mistake once, he doesn’t do it again.</p>

<p>So…look at where the buildings are located for various classes and take that into acct when creating/modifying a schedule. </p>

<p>Also, if it’s necessary that some classes are located in buildings that are more of a distance, then try to schedule classes so that you have a meal/snack break between them to give yourself more time. </p>

<p>I know when my younger son had a math class in Gordon Palmer and then his next class was in the SEC, he had an hour break between. He’d leave GP…head to The Ferg…get a bite to eat…then continue on to the SEC. </p>

<p>For my kids’ on-campus tutoring jobs in Osband Hall (south side of campus)…they would just take the Crimson Ride there at the end of their school day. They preferred the food at Burke Dining for dinner…so that’s close to their tutoring jobs.</p>

<p>No, even my son admits his bike is not necessary but it is a convenience. </p>

<p>He did say that with a time schedule close together, it makes more sense to walk because you’re not slowed down by having to lock the bike to the rack. The campus is not so sprawling that you absolutely need a car to go from one end to another but the buildings are very walkable in the time alloted between classes. And yes, there is always the Crimson Ride, which my son has not used.</p>

<p>Son creates his schedule with the professor in mind, not so much for the logistics. The bike helps him overcome that issue, although he does need to remember to take into account when he will eat his midday meal.</p>

<p>Also, he eats at Burke when possible. He’s not thrilled with Lakeside Dining. </p>

<p>LadyDi, your son will be just fine without a bike.</p>

<p>The decision we have made is to WAIT and see if our son really needs/wants a bike after he has settled in for a month or so.</p>

<p>MABama, we waited also for a month or two before DS asked for a bike. He has LOVED having one. He said a 15 minute walk from lakeside is a 5 minute bike ride. He said that’s 10 more minutes to sleep! He also goes to the rec center most everyday. The rec center is a good haul from Lakeside. He is living off campus this upcoming year and didn’t get the parking lot he wanted when the parking permit selection opened. We put him on a wait list, but he’s not concerned. Said he would just bike. His house is almost exactly the same distance to campus as Lakeside was.</p>

<p>Thanks, y’all!!</p>