Binghamton Scholars Class of 2021

Hi, I was wondering what my chances are for Binghamton Scholars, and was hoping people could put their scholars acceptances/stats here.

My stats:
ACT 34 (superscored is 35), UW GPA 4.0
2 AP’s
I got in EA on Dec 1.

I also got into Maryland Honors.

Thank you

I would say very good chance.

Does anyone have information as to when Binghamton Scholars invites will be sent? Last year’s thread indicates that it was around this time.

Hi- current Binghamton University Scholar here. Just wanted to let you know that the process is rolling, so they send out their invites in waves. When they receive feedback on one wave of applicants (as to whether or not they are attending Bing) they can send out more invitations. So it may vary from person to person.

As per the website, “invitations for Fall 2017 will begin in mid-February 2017 and continue until all positions are filled.”

My S received his acceptance to the Binghamton Scholars Program in the mail today. Very nice packet with a congratulatory letter from the President of Binghamton. Good luck to all who are hoping to be selected.

Wondering what you guys think my chances for this program would be (accepted to Bing (Harpur) EA in December):

94 GPA (Unweighted)
34 ACT
4 APs Senior Year, 2 Junior Year (only offered to Jrs and Srs at my school)
In-state (if that has any bearing on this)
Really solid ECs (sports, drama, music, volunteer, work)
Also thought my Common App essay was really good

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

The stats for both @Nervous-student and @dojo776 are both very strong, but again they do only have a hundred scholars a year …so it’s always difficult to tell.

@Nervous-Student @dojo776 I received my acceptance to the program on 2/1.

I just got a letter inviting me to the Freshman Research Immersion program. Is that a separate letter from scholars? (As in, if scholars was not written on the letter for this program, should I stop hoping?)

@Nervous-Student Yes it is a separate letter. If you want to be in Scholars , since the first wave of invites went out a few weeks ago, you should email your regional admissions officer and let him or her know that you would like to be in Scholars and would accept if offered Scholars. You may then be considered for the next wave of invites (assuming that several did not respond to the first wave of invites, which gave a deadline of march 6 to respond if interested in participating) space permitting. It’s like sending a letter of continued interest for the Scholars programs. Your stats and extracurricular have to be clearly within the top 10% of applicants to be invited to Scholars. The freshman research immersion program is a good program so even if you don’t get a Scholars invite it’s still an added bonus to general admissions, assuming you love research.

I have a 3.7 GPA and a 35 ACT, and I got into the FRI program. Do I still have a chance at the scholars program?

I would think so

Looking ahead to next year’s application cycle and wondering about the stats of students invited to the Scholars program. To anyone reading this-- if you were invited to it, congratulations, and can you please share your stats? Thank you.

@trackmbe3 – When you say “letter of continued interest”- is that interest or commitment? For example, if a student is still waiting to hear from another school as of 3/6 (or whatever the due date is for your ‘wave’ of acceptances), do you need to commit to attend Bing in order to hold your spot in the Scholars program, or would you have the option of saying, “I am honored to have been chosen. While I still have not made a final decision as to which college I will attend, I will be thrilled to attend the Scholars program if I come to Binghamton.”? And then let them know for sure prior to May 1st?
Thanks.

@TheGreyKing it’s interest. As you wrote you just have to say you are interested in being in the Binghamton Scholars program. That you will be in scholars if you accept the offer of admission. No deposit/commitment required till May 1. In my opinion you will need at least a 33 ACT composite score (or the equivalent score on the new SAT) plus high gpa in a rigorous high school curriculum (taking as many honors and APs as you can handle) plus good extracurriculars to be considered competitive for being selected for the Scholars program. My daughter got invited to Scholars with a 33 ACT (34 super score). (Binghamton does not super score the ACT for purposes of admisson, so they may not consider the super score for purpose of inviting into the Scholars program). And high gpa in a rigorous high school curriculum.

Does anyone here know at what point we should give up on Scholars? My stats are within range but I applied late (parents aren’t crazy about it) so I’m thinking my chances aren’t great. Or maybe it’s a good sign that they let me in even though I applied so far after the deadline? I don’t know ugh.

Also, would it help my Scholars chances if I put a deposit down, and should I really send an email indicating interest? That wouldn’t be overkill?