Scholars Program

Has anyone been invited to the scholars program yet? When I emailed the school I was told invitations would be sent out toward the end of January

I just got my invitation today in the mail! The certificate was dated February 1st and the date isn’t on the envelope, so I’m not sure when they mailed them. I live in upstate NY, if that helps.

Okay thanks, I got mine today too!

Congrats! @Hannah8

Thanks you too!! :smiley:

Is Freshman Research Immersion Program part of Scholars program? Or part of Honors college? Are they separate/unrelated with merit scholarship?

The honors college is the scholars program. FRI program is separate from this but neither of them give merit scholarship

I got in!

I was accepted to the program as well!

Does anyone know how to get the “temporary PIN” to accept our positions? I can’t seem to find it…

Scratch that. I can’t seem to accept the invitation at all, even when I log in. Has anybody accepted it?

Me too I was just going to ask @fishgill. I can’t find the temporary pin anywhere in my old emails or on the acceptance. Maybe one of us should send an email to the director?

@anon9362 yupp I just emailed him 10 minutes ago! I’ll let you know what he says.
Also tho, I logged in without the PIN being a problem, but it just goes in circles to my status page, which says nothing about the program. So frustrating! I don’t want to pay a deposit yet, but this program is what will entice me to attend Bing over other schools, so I just definitely want to make sure my spot is saved.

Great thanks so much!! Yeah I feel the same way about it. If my brother gets accepted too and I don’t get into any of my reach schools then there is a good chance I will end up at Binghamton so I want to be sure!

He responded extremely fast!
“Thank you for alerting me to the problem with our Scholars registration process. I have alerted our tech team and I am sure we will have things resolved right away Wednesday morning. Please try again Wednesday afternoon. My apologies for the inconvenience. I look forward to seeing you at Binghamton University this fall!”
So all will be well soon :slight_smile:

Haha my friend at Bing told me that he always responds super fast… apparently he adores the Scholars and goes out on all the field trips with them and everything! He sounds very nice :slight_smile:

@anon9362 and @fishgill would you mind posting your stats? Also, what do you think helped the most to get into the Scholars program? GPA, SAT/ACT, ECs, essays? Full disclosure, my S is a junior and very interested in Binghamton engineering. Any help would be appreciated. Trying to help steer him in the right direction during junior year and I think Binghamton is an amazing value.

Hey I was in scholars, so let me know if you have any specific questions about the program :slight_smile:

@STEM2017 I had a 34 ACT and 4.55W GPA (4.0 UW but they only receive the weighted). My most prominent ECs are a bit too personal to disclose on this site, but I also received my GS Gold Award and was a member/officer in some school clubs. I’m also an engineering major. Not sure what the enticing factor is, but I would assume test scores and GPA.

@fishgill Thank you. My S is a strong candidate, but not quite as strong as you. Hopefully his courseload, ECs and story will put him in range.

@rebeccar What was your major? My S is looking at mechanical engineering, but not 100% certain. How was your overall experience at Bing? Do you feel like the Scholars program differentiated you? Were you looked at in a different light when applying for jobs? Did you feel a true Scholars advantage during housing and course selection? Did you get monetary aid along with the Scholar distinction? Was it worth the extra work and activities? I’ve heard that some students wish they hadn’t burdened themselves with a Scholars/Honors program (not Binghamton specific). I’d like my S to experience a college with some school spirit. Can you comment frankly on school spririt at Binghamton?