Biology and/or pre-med on the Block Plan

<p>5boys…yes, Sheedy is still there…I did my woofer during spring break senior week of HS at UC Santa Cruz…awesome prgram…your son will def get alot out of it…And as much as Sheedy was a draw for Whitman, CC will be a better choice for many reasons…read about our Baca Campus…the CC Cabin…all things your son will be able to take advantage of. Plus the Block Breaks are made for kids like me and your son…just when you atart to get restless, four wory free days come along to take advantage of all that Colorado has to offer…he will not be disappointed!</p>

<p>My S is hopefully taking the WOOFER class this summer, I think with NOLS. FLYBOY, he is having a little bit of trouble in regards to the class. He will be 16 this summer and just barely driving. When you took the class at UCSC did you stay at the school? It’s hard trying to figure out where he would stay at some of the places that offer it this summer. He wants a class that offers the whole outdoor experience, not just done in a classroom. I don’t want to stay with him the whole time.</p>

<p>I split my time staying onc ampus and with a local friend. Mine didn’t involve a lot of outdoors time…was only for a week.</p>

<p>I highly recommend Broadreach’s program called Wilderness and Traditional Medicine
[Wilderness</a> First Responder Course for Teenagers in Belize | Academic Treks](<a href=“http://www.academictreks.com/programs/wtm.asp]Wilderness”>http://www.academictreks.com/programs/wtm.asp)</p>

<p>It’s ALL outdoors, and my daughter said it was one of the best experiences of her life.</p>

<p>The students get their woofer certification, participate in “very realistic” emergency situations, and volunteer at a local clinic. </p>

<p>It was worth every penny.</p>

<p>Thanks so much colomom!!! This program looks amazing!! My S was looking into something similar with Projects Abroad, a trip that goes to Nepal and you get to work in a hospital, but this looks even better because you can also get your WFR. My S also has his scuba certification and the scuba trips look amazing too. He really wants to get his rescue scuba cert. and they have it. WOW!!! It’s amazing what great info you can get from this forum. Glad to get the parent approval too.</p>

<p>CC offers a 100-level Bio course on “Plants and People”. Known more formally as Ethnobotany, this is a field Son of 5Boys might want to be aware of (for the medicinal side of wilderness health care).</p>

<p>[Colorado</a> College | CC’s Alex Weiss '09 Wins Fulbright Scholarship to Study Ethnobotany in China](<a href=“http://www.coloradocollege.edu/news_events/poster/view.asp?id=958]Colorado”>http://www.coloradocollege.edu/news_events/poster/view.asp?id=958)
[Ethnobotany</a> - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia](<a href=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnobotany]Ethnobotany”>Ethnobotany - Wikipedia)</p>

<p>My son has a written output LD, and the people at CC’s Disabilities Services were extremely nice and helpful. I can’t compare with any other school, but I was blown away by the technological goodies they have there to assist students as well as all the tutoring groups, scribes, note-takers, etc.</p>

<p>Hmmmmm… written output LD. Sounds just like my S. He has a hard time with getting his thoughts from his head to the paper. His teacher’s all say that if all tests were oral he would be an A+ student. Unfortunately they are not. I’m SO happy to hear so much positive info on the disability services at CC.</p>

<p>Yes, same with my son. Can talk circles around you but papers are a confused mess. Actually, this improved greatly his freshman year at CC. He found the block plan very helpful too, really liked focusing on one thing at a time.</p>

<p>PS Has your son had a formal psych ed assessment? He absolutely must have this to get accommodations at college.</p>

<p>Yes, he has had psych-ED evaluation at t he end of last year. He failed Alg. and I was curious why because he has always tested so high and seemed to have no problem understanding the concepts. After testing he was diagnosed with the written and visual LD.It’s funny because he had to take the Alg. class again over the summer and he got an A. One reason is because the teacher was familiar with LD’s and helped him enormously. The big thing is that my S said he LOVED focusing on only 1 class. That’s one reason HE REALLY likes CC. I’m really happy to hear that your S has been so successful at CC. My S’s HS is a private school so there are not too may accommodations that he is using at the moment. Besides finally getting to use a calculator in math… that has helped him A LOT, he is getting an A this year:-))), and the support of his teacher’s, he is just going to work through it on his own. I do want him to have the accommodations in college though.</p>

<p>Canadianmom… I’m curious if you revealed your S’s LD on his college app. I know my S is going to fall in love with CC and we were hoping his chances would be good. He is a B, B+ student from a top 50 private prep school, with great SAT scores and A LOT of EC’s with leadership that would fit into CC’s atmosphere. I’m worried if he doesn’t reveal his LD they might think he is just lazy based on his high SAT scores and not so hot grades. He does take challenging classes because he loves to learn, but never can seem to get that A because of his lack of details. Just wanted your opinion. Or anyone else’s for that matter.</p>

<p>5boys,</p>

<p>I started a new thread as there may be others interested in this particular subject. How about copying your posts & questions to that thread and then I will answer you there?</p>

<p>PS It is OK if you copy my posts to the new thread, too. Might make the flow have more sense.</p>