biology and pre health or bio chem strength

<p>Hi Can anyone comment on the strength of the biology program at Colorado College and St. Johns University in Minnesota? Probably going to be a pre dental or pre med student or maybe a bio chem student? Do you think the schools are similar in terms of their strength of professors? Does having smarter students around you in class to stimulate discussion really matter? I would love to hear from a St. Johns students perspective-- their ACT scores range from 23-28 at the mid level versus the higher Colorado College.</p>

<p>Also, does anyone have any comment about the amount of partying at each school?
What are the theme parties at COL college that people talk about?</p>

<p>shoresea, i can’t comment on st. johns. son is finishing his junior year at cc as a bio-chem major. will apply to med school this summer and his preliminary mcat looks to be right on track. biochem is a tough major at cc (!!)- but the education from what i can see has been hard to beat. does being in a school where the bar is HIGH make a difference in what you learn - ABSOLOUTLEY. the sciences at cc are top-notch. doing orgo-3 in 3 1/2 weeks - well, as i hear it a lot of nights in the library until 3am!! son ends every block tired, half-sick and wiped out. still, he wouldn’t have traded it for any school on the planet. if cc seems to fit your vibe then you will be unbelievably happy and do well. like all schools, parties are there if you seek them but the vast majority of these kids work hard and let their hair down on block breaks.</p>

<p>The South is VERY different than Colorado. I lived in Colorado when I was younger, but I have lived in NC for 10 years now. If you are coming from a more progressive background, be ready for some major culture shock. The people in the South can be the most genuine hearted, but mindsets can be very stagnant. I love it here, but I am definitely looking forward to returning to Colorado for college. </p>

<p>Oh, and the skiing here is mediocre at best, but it is extremely beautiful in the mountains. The closest resort to Furman would be Wolf Ridge or Cataloochee at a little more than 2 hours. At CC there is still a 2 hour drive to Breck or Monarch but you certainly would feel a lot closer to the mountains than you would at Furman.</p>