Biology Department

<p>I'm thinking about majoring in biology and going pre-med. Does anyone know how strong the biology department is at CC? Also, how successful are CC students at getting into medical school? Any info would be great!</p>

<p>There is information about premed success at CC on the career center site; unfortunately it is several years old. In 2003, approx. 65% of those who applied to medical school upon graduation (or graduation +1 year) from CC were accepted. </p>

<p>As for the strength of the Bio dept--good question. My D will be bio major wherever she decides to matriculate (It's down to CC and one other school.) and she's wondering about that too.</p>

<p>D has looked over the emphasis of CC's dept and it seems to be more heavily biased towards ecological/envoromental research--which isn't her thing. She's more interested in neurobiology, especially cognition and brain physiology. (She'll be doing some reseach at the local U this summer involving MRIs, brain anomalies and criminal behavior.)</p>

<p>So if anyone has more up to date data about medical school success, or has some information about neurobio research opportunities that D missed, she'd love to know about it. Might make her final choice easier since she really loves the chill students, the location and the Block plan.</p>

<p>thanks so much WayOutWestMom! the info definitely helped. yeah, i'm also deciding whether to attend CC or a large state university.</p>

<p>WayOutWestMom--</p>

<p>Here is the neuroscience link at Colorado College:</p>

<p>Neuroscience</a> main page</p>

<p>Here is one alumni's post on that site that sounds something your D would like: </p>

<p>
[quote]
Upon completion of my degree in 2002, I left the beautiful mountains of Colorado and headed to the humid swamps of Washington DC to participate in the Intramural Research Training Program with the Laboratory of Brain and Cognition. After my IRTA days, I became a graduate student in the National Institute of Health - Karolinska Institutet Graduate Partnership Program. I spend half of my time doing research in at NIH in Bethesda, MD and the remainder of my time is spent at KI in Stockholm, Sweden taking classes and working on my research. My dissertation focuses on the developmental and psychopathological implications of threat orientation, brain function and expectation in adults and children. It is my goal to complete this program and hopefully receive a PhD in clinical neuroscience.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Let us know what your D decides. Man--- NY is a long way from NM.</p>

<p>Thanks for the link 07Dad---I'll pass it on to her.</p>

<p>
[quote]
NY is a long way from NM.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Yeah, a really long way...and with awful air connections too.</p>

<p>niubie, CC is a great school. But most pre-meds are not thrilled there -- I know of three who transferred to CU once they settled on a science major. The block schedule is simply not ideal for the sciences - nor languages. Both demand ongoing, extended periods of study that doesn't fit with the block schedule. That said, some people do stay there & end up getting into med school: but it's harder at CC than at schools with traditional scheduling.</p>

<p>For biology, however, I think the block plan is actually a very good fit. I heard about two classes specifically that wouldn't really be possible anywhere else: in one, the class goes to Patagonia to study the biogeography of the area, and in another, they go to Belize to snorkel/scuba dive and study the ocean and reefs. Pretty unique. And I don't think a lot of science majors transfer-- biology is one of (if not THE) most popular majors on campus. I don't think so many people would be in the progam if it wasn't good. </p>

<p>That being said, the curriculum is more rigorous when you're covering it all in 3 1/2 weeks, but many people thrive in this type of environment, when you're literally dreaming about the subject you're taking a class on. And in addition, I don't think it's harder to get into medical school from CC than from a comparable institution... any stats to support that? I think med and graduate schools actually really value a CC education and recognize its rigor.</p>

<p>Also, as a side note, majoring in biology isn't really necessary for a pre-med student... I talked to a student who fulfilled all of the pre-med requirements while majoring in sociology and double minoring in two other unrelated/non-science disciplines.</p>

<p>wow, thanks applesauce!</p>

<p>Thanks for that applesauce. I'm a biology major at CC and I love it on the block plan! I'm currently in a bio class and on Friday we're going to spend the entire day at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. Field trips are quite frequent on the block plan, giving students hands on experience. Sure it's intense, but in my opinion, that makes CC students more prepared to handle graduate/medical school.</p>

<p>p.s. not all biology majors are pre med ;) Nor is it necessary to go to med school (as applesauce also noted). My roommate is a premed history major and I'm a non premed bio major.</p>

<p>to all, thanks so much for the advice! It has been very helpful listening to the different sides!</p>

<p>In particular, was this person a former student who is now an admissions counselor? Likewise, my admissions counselor at CC majored in Sociology with a double minor in film and african studies; nevertheless, was able to do the pre-med course load. Very impressive, and perhaps one of the determining factors in considering this school.</p>

<p>Yep it was him... he was a funny guy, I liked him a lot.</p>

<p>bump, bump</p>

<p>talking abt sciences....how does the Computer Science in the Block plan?
is it good? or too tough?...</p>

<p>sorry if i am changing the topic</p>

<p>Takes a bit of sorting through this thread, but you will find comments on the sciences here:</p>

<p>Colorado</a> College - College Reviews - The College Search - AdmissionsAdvice.com</p>