Biomedical engineering at Texas A&M chances

Hello, I am doing this post for a friend. He is interested in doing biomedical engineering at Texas A&M. Here are some of his statistics from High school. (in state btw) I am aware that there is etam. What would be his chances of getting into the general engineering school?
Please be honest, even if you think it would hurt him.

SAT: 1390 (700 verbal ) (690 Math)
3.67 Unweighted GPA
5.18 Weighted GPA
AP Classes taken:
AP Human Geography
AP Computer Science Principles
AP Physics
AP World History
AP Art History
AP US History
AP Psych
AP Environmental Science
AP Language and Composition
Classes taking in 12th grade:
AP Gov
AP Econ
AP Literature and Composition
AP Calc AB
AP Biology
AP Statistics
1 year of Football Freshman Year
2 years of debate as Freshman and Sophomore
1 year with Cubing Club
2 years in track and field
1 year of DECA
Boy Scouts

I would appreciate it, thanks!

Yes he has a solid chance because of his SAT score and GPA. I wouldn’t recommend trusting College Confidential however. Admissions are quite random, and no one knows what goes on inside them. Plus you never know who’s on this website and typing. Anyway good luck to your friend!

Stats wise he seems fine for the most part. He needs to make sure he talks about this passions deeply as well and commitments. It seems like a lot of his ECs are 1-2 years. If he could bring up his SAT math score that would help too maybe.

He is also top 15% in graduating class

It looks to me like this is the classic case of “shoot for the moon and even if you miss you land among the stars.” I would recommend that you apply to several backup schools just in case you don’t get into A & M. On the contraty, I would also recommend that you apply to tougher schools such as UMich or Baylor so that you don’t feel like you missed out on a lifetime of opportunity. Just remember this one thing when making your college application: no matter what college you end up at, just be grateful that you don’t live in a 3rd world country. The founding fathers died for the right to have a nice life in the United States so it is important that you respect their determination by not wasting your life on things that don’t amount to anything in the end.

Also, do you go to TAMS? If you do, that really makes it likely for you to get into an Ivy League or top 20 college. People in TAMS have like a 50% chance at an Ivy League if I am not mistaken. Also, what race is your friend. His race might mean the difference between acceptance and rejection. THhe thing is that a lot of colleges sort each application into different groups based on race which means that your race could potentially dictate the outcome of the admission process.

He is asian

A&M is a much tougher school to get into overall and is ranked much higher for engineering than Baylor.

I am sorry but if he is Asian than he will have a harder time getting into any university that is better than his state schools. The problem with being Asian is that you have to compete among other Asians for the top spot at the top universities, and a lot of the time that’s only 20 percent of the seats available. The colleges like to try to diversify their student body but because Asian Americans in general place a giant emphasis on education, that usually results in higher competiton. The thing is that apparently diversity improves the educational quality of the students. Another thing that you may want to consider is going to a college that has a large teacher to student ratio. If you go to a school like this, then you can get away with skipping class and not paying attention in class and the professor won’t get onto you constantly or notice that you aren’t paying attention in class because he or she will be way too occupied with all the other students. Also, I noticed that you referred to your friend with the pronoun “him”, so I am assuming that he is a male student. If this is the case, one thing that I would suggest is that if you go into any engineering major, no matter what the college is, it will be difficult to find a female partner that shares interests and values with you that you also enjoy being with, because, I would assume for cultural reasons, females don’t naturally tend to choose STEM majors too often. Why this is the case, I would assume because of historical prejudices, but that’s a topic for another day. Also, being in a relationship in your freshman year of college might be challenging because of the high amounts of stress that attending a new college could cause. But in the end, it is your choice. Oh yea, one more friend is that his chances of admission into a college of his choice can also be contingent on his country of origin. Because colleges aim to diversify their student body as a whole as much as possible, they try to obtain people from as many different cultural upbringings as possible. Some ethnicities within Asians are generally overrepresented in college and higher education, while others are generally underrepresented there. As a general rule of thumb, your ethnicity is more likely to help you in college admissions if you are Hmong, Indonesian, Bengali, Pakistani, or Middle Eastern than if you are Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or Indian. I noticed that you didn’t specify which ethnicity he was and that could make quite a bit of a difference in his admission chances and whether or not he gets in to the college that he desires.

His math score is low but not by much. Since the doing away with academic admission, it is all up in the air. So many more auto and academic admits being accepted into the university, they had to be placed into majors and were the first to be notified once engineering decisions came out. Very few review applicants received admission before mid January. Now it is wide open.

If your friend’s school offers Calculus BC, take that instead of Calc AB. BC includes principles of AB and goes further.

Your friend also needs to have really good study habits and like/be good at math. The first year Calculus 151 and 152 weed out a lot of kids, if not from engineering, then from their desired major. For the incoming class, the auto acceptance to your preferred major is now 3.75.

Majors are just coming out today and through the week for ETAM applicants who were not auto admits to major. Many have received their first or second choice major. Many others still waiting (Aggie Parents and Aggie Parent of Engineering Students Facebook Pages).

Yeah - I really don’t think that this applies to TAMU. Seriously not a factor. C7 of the common data set for TAMU says race/ethnic status in NOT a factor in admission decisions. If you look at the common data set for UT Austin you will see that it is a factor.

Roughly 8.4% of the undergraduate student population at TAMU Spring of 2020 on the college station campus was Asian. And that is American or legal resident I believe. International at 2.67% is a separate demo.