BioTran internship program at the Hudson Alpha

<p>Here is an article about two undergrads taking advantage of one of the many summer opportunities offered thru UA: [Two</a> College Biology Students Selected for Hudson Alpha Internships](<a href=“http://www.as.ua.edu/home/news/2012/mailnews/july/webmail.php#story4]Two”>http://www.as.ua.edu/home/news/2012/mailnews/july/webmail.php#story4)</p>

<p>Random, thanks for posting this! Abby is my daughter. She told me the photographer came to HA the other day, but she didn’t know where or when the article would be published. I was going to call down to HA today and try to find out details.</p>

<p>The program is actually BioTrain, not BioTran, though.</p>

<p>She has been so happy participating in this program. She’s mainly been cataloging protein data into Excel spreadsheets so far, but I think she’s almost finished with that task and will be able to move into participating in some actual research. Which will be great, since she’s supposed to give a poster presentation at the end of the summer. </p>

<p>If I remember correctly, applications are open mid-February to mid-March every year. The program is open to high school, undergrad, and grad students who live in or go to school in. Alabama. Only 22 positions were available this year; the number changes based on funds the companies have for hiring interns. Pay is $10 per hour for high school students and $12 per hour for undergrads. Abby’s position is 40 hours a week; positions vary from 20-40 hours. Some positions are with HA’s own research labs; others are with independent companies located on the HA campus.</p>

<p>From what I understand, when a company gets an intern they like, they invite the intern back year after year, as long as they continue to have funds available. Abby’s very hopeful she’ll me asked back next year (and possibly during Christmas break), as they love how productive she’s been so far.</p>

<p>BioTran misspelling was from the author of the article. Just wanted to clarify. :)</p>

<p>BAMAMom2Be, Congrats to your daughter! I thought I recalled that someone here said that they had a student in the program this summer, but I couldn’t recall who. Looks like a really great opportunity and I was glad to see UA highlighting it by reporting on the students involved.</p>

<p>Thanks, BAMAMom2Be for the call out. January 15 is when applications open for BioTrain and remain open until February 15. Be sure to visit hudsonalpha.org often. Next week, we open registration for the continuing education/public education program called Biotech 101.</p>

<p>HudsonAlpha Communications Dept</p>

<p>Congratulations to your D, BamaMom2Be.</p>

<p>I cannot praise this program highly enough! And I’m so proud it’s practically in my own backyard and focuses on providing opportunities to students who either live in this state or go to school in this state (Alabama).</p>

<p>While the program obviously focuses on STEM careers, students in other majors should check it out, as they may find opportunities interesting to them. I think there were one or two business-related internships this past year, computer science- related ones, etc.</p>

<p>This week my daughter has been staining lung cancer cells with antibodies and taking pictures of them, working on her poster presentation. The presentations are scheduled for July 31, and parents are invited to attend. I can’t wait!</p>

<p>The HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology is a great resource to have in the state of Alabama and its association with UA is another one of the reason our son, who plans a career doing original biotech research, decided to attend UA. Our son will get to visit HudsonAlpha next week as part of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute Undergrad Researcher program he is in this summer.</p>

<p>The president and director, Richard Myers, is a UA grad and has had a career that would inspire anyone like my son. From his biography page ( [Richard</a> M. Myers, Ph.D. | HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology](<a href=“http://www.hudsonalpha.org/node/64]Richard”>http://www.hudsonalpha.org/node/64) ) at the HudsonAplha web site:
“Dr. Richard Myers received his B.S. in biochemistry from the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa in 1977, his Ph.D. in biochemistry from the University of California at Berkeley with Robert Tjian and performed postdoctoral work at Harvard University with Tom Maniatis. He began his first faculty position at the University of California at San Francisco in 1986 and moved his laboratory to Stanford University’s Department of Genetics in 1993. At Stanford, he was chair of the department of genetics and director of the Stanford Human Genome Center until he moved to HudsonAlpha in July 2008.”</p>