Black Acceptance Rates at America's Top Universities

<p>hmmm great most of my schools dont have much black applicants...</p>

<p>seems everyone is drawn towards huge schools like Yale, Duke, etc..</p>

<p>^^^ it doesn't always matter the actual number of black students. Sometimes it's more about the black community. Some schools have tons of black students but no actual black community. So as long as there is a visible community you should be fine. BTW, what schools are you talking about?</p>

<p>Swarthmore, Notre Dame (its applicants are surprisingly low considering its a huge school), MIT (although im not applying to mit)</p>

<p>Anyone have any idea about the black community at JHU?</p>

<p>My D didn't apply to any Ivies either. Nor did any of her friends . Maybe it's a California prejudice. One applied to Stanford. BTW, all these friends are white.</p>

<p>hmmm...i really don't know now...i feel like a very slight chance at being accepted at any of the ivies/duke/vanderbilt with my 2010 SAT and my 3.4 uw gpa and being as i am only top 20% in my class...</p>

<p>but i am a national achievement finalist woo lol!</p>

<p>ivayhopeful, my daughter is a freshman at Duke, and I've been following stats of accepted AA's there for a little bit. PM me if you have questions I might be able to answer,</p>

<p>Ivayhopeful, How big is your class? I go to a tiny school and am top 25% but I still got into UChicago.Not everything is numbers with these schools.</p>

<p>well im not sure whether to find these stats as a positive or negative thing, but either way I applied to Stanford and UVA so i'm hoping the stats are beneficial! i got in at UNC already, so im trying to keep my hopes up :)</p>

<p>I wonder whether the low number of AA applicants to the Ivys is a function of the aid policies. There is a correlation between high academic achievement and family educational level and income. Students that score high on standardized tests and have competitive grades most often come from the upper-middle classes and higher. However, even upper-middle class families may find it hard to pay the Ivy level tuitions and they may have income that is too high to qualify for needs based aid. They're caught in that middle group (income above $150,000) that makes a lot on paper but can't quite handle COAs of $50K and up. It could be that many AA students with high tests scores and high GPAs are applying only to schools that give merit based aid.</p>

<p>Hey I was wondering what was your ACT Score? I’m an African American (heathpics.com if you would like to see what I do) wanting to go to University of Chicago since I’m from Chicago, even though I don’t live there at the moment. I have a 25 but considering a superscore, it’s a 27. My GPA is 3.43 and sadly, there are only 35 students in my graduating class and im 14/35 (+50% in my class). In your previous post, you said that numbers weren’t everything so should I still give it a chance?</p>

<p>Marnimom, I completely agree with your conclusion. There is a financial trap that middle class families fall into at the schools providing need-only aid. These schools are thus less desirable. The COA calculators in my case are showing full price for these schools. It would be financially crazy to spend that much money on 3 kids so why would I spend it on one. In fact, why allow any of them to apply. That’s where I am as my first prepares to apply for college next year.</p>

<p>UPDATED INFO:
[Black</a> First-Year Students at the Nation?s Leading Research Universities : The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education](<a href=“http://www.jbhe.com/2013/11/jbhe-annual-survey-black-first-year-students-at-nations-leading-research-universities/]Black”>Black First-Year Students at the Nation’s Leading Research Universities : The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education)</p>

<p>At first glance the admission rates seem favorable, but when you look closer you will see for instance that there were 3322 AA applicants to Cornell, but only 665 were accepted. Thus 2657 received rejections. 2657. Hardly the “shoo in” hook that the masses believe it to be. Brown rejected 2194 AAs. Vanderbilt rejected 1916. Then consider how many of the accepted AAs were recruited athletes…</p>

<p>A 20% acceptance rate at Cornell is not bad.</p>

<p>Being AA is not a shoe in, but it does help since the acceptance rate for AAs is higher than the general population in most cases. </p>

<p>I agree with madaboutx that a 20% acceptance rate to an Ivy is advantageous. In fact, it increase your odds of admission by 33% (20% divided by 15%). At Northwestern, your chances move from 13% to 22%. Still not a slam dunk by any stretch.</p>

<p>Keep focusing on those SATs and GPA and let URM be nothing more than the feather on the scale that puts you in!</p>

<p>Cornell is already 15.6% acceptance rate though…and I would still like to see stats sans athletes. I don’t think 20% calls for a “You will get in because you are black/you only got in because you are black” attitude. Sorry, but those are not great odds, and the important point that I took away from the data was that the chance of getting a rejection letter from any of those schools is far greater than receiving an acceptance no matter who you are.</p>

<p>I could not agree more with planner03/madaboutx. Do not believe the myth that because you are a minority you will be admitted to a Elite school. You course rigor is very important because it is important that you can handle the work load amongst your peers of all races. In my kids experience, it is obvious that all the kids that got in are well qualified no matter the race. Keep in mind you are competing with other minorities that would have gotten in no matter what race or nationality. The strength of the applicant field is so much stronger now than it use to be. As I see it now most of the people that are admitted to these great institution are very aware of their strengths and it comes across instantly. My advice to all is “Be you and never feel comfortable with the process”. Its ok in life to feel uncomfortable and never take anything for granted. Good luck to all.</p>

<p>this is sad</p>

<p>I almost believed in the whole “you’re in, you’re black” line myself when I applied to schools. Applied to every Ivy and was rejected from every Ivy save for one. If only the fools at my uni could see this article… lol</p>