Broadcast journalism? The major? HELP!

<p>So my parents said that they wouldn't pay for my college education unless I planned to go into politics, law, or broadcast journalism. I want to be a writer, so I decided to "pursue" a broadcast journalism career. (In reality, if and only if I fail miserably as a writer and have to resort to stripping or playing guitar on a busy sidewalk just to get by do I intend on going to grad school for broadcast journalism.) Recently, I was talking to my parents about what I should major in. I've got my heart set on an english/creative writing double major, but my dad said that it would be IMPOSSIBLE to get into grad school for broadcast journalism with that undergrad major and that I should instead, major in (hahahahaha) COMMUNICATIONS. I don't think that my dad knows that a journalism major exists (thank god), but regardless, I am getting a little paranoid and am seriously questioning whether or not my sneaky little plan will work; is an english/C.W. double major and a good internship enough or would I have to give my all to broadcast journalism right from undergrad to even have a shot?</p>

<p>:/</p>

<p>Bumpppppppppppppppp</p>

<p>Are you currently in high school or college?</p>

<p>I went through a similar dilemma. I’m a freshman at Pepperdine. Here’s what I concluded:</p>

<p>English major: A lot of reading, a lot of essays, really only good for a future teaching career or law school applicant. If you want a lot of writing samples, the English major is not for you.</p>

<p>Creative writing major: Not enough substance to carry weight as a degree. In short, it’s an easy major and you don’t get much out of it. It’s basically paying tuition money to be part of a writer’s workshop. </p>

<p>Broadcast journalism major: (Pepperdine offers two paths: telecommunications production, or broadcast journalism.) Telecom is more working with cameras and editing. The broadcast major actually includes a lot of writing, as it prepares students for a career as a broadcast WRITER, not necessarily an anchor as commonly perceived. I decided that the major is too specific for my general writing career goals.</p>

<p>Journalism major: Mine! More writing improvement and samples than I can even wrap my mind around, and it’s awesome for any future goals in writing. A journalism major is enough substance and experience to work as a freelance author, a creative writer, write for broadcast/produce, become a journalist, or go on to law school. I even landed an internship with an indie publishing company this summer.</p>

<p>Hope that helped!</p>

<p>thanks so much!! :D</p>

<p>here’s my advice from experience:</p>

<p>First off, some schools don’t even have journalism as a major. And some schools label degree’s as Mass communication and Journalism, lumped together, it just depends on the school you are attending, but regardless…your dad is right though. Communications would be a better route by far than a degree in english.</p>

<p>I’m sure you could get a job with the right experience and internships under your belt but I’m a currently a double major in Mass communication studies and English- language, linguistics, and rhetoric, and have a minor in creative writing, but i’m am actually thinking of dropping my double major to finish a journalism minor instead. I have had two internships in the broadcasting world and it is very competitive. Big names wouldn’t even let you apply as an English major. Companies like ABC, NBC…etc require you to be a communications major or journalism major to intern there. But it really depends on what kind of writing you want to do.</p>

<p>Most people completely overlook my English background…and basically when i’ve interviewed with employers they only know I’m studying Communications and Mass Media.I usually have to remind them of the English part. But I would look into double majoring or maybe just minoring in english. That way you can take the classes you enjoy the most. gwu_girl is right…creative writing does not hold much weight, it is known for being an easy major. I think my overall major in English itself is close to a 4.0. </p>

<p>English rhetoric/linguistics would be a good major for law school. Basically I would shy away from creative writing. Best of luck</p>

<p>If you really do want to go to a grad school for broadcast journalism but also study english/creative writing in yoru undergraduate studies see if you can double major in journalism and english or something. Or major in journalism and double minor in english and creative writing.</p>