Broadcast Journalism vs Radio and TV

<p>Hi! I'm currently in high school and one of my potential dreams is to major in either broadcast journalism or radio and tv. I want to become more of a radio announcer or entertainment reporter, talking about what goes on and "happier" stuff where I can talk with more cheerful inflection, if you know what I'm saying. I'm probably describing this horribly! :) Anyway, that is more what interests me and what I believe I would find fun, more than the straight news. I would also love to have a talk show and/or host a tv show someday, though I know that is a far-off fantasy dream! I hope I can make it to that!</p>

<p>Which major prepares you more to be an announcer/talk show type of person or entertainment reporter? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like one is about writing, writing, writing (which I'm not as big of a fan of as talking) and the other is about operating cameras and prepares you to be a producer. What is a better idea for a budding talk show host? :)</p>

<p>Also, this is farther off than my major, but internship-wise (which I know is very important), what types of internships would be the best to get for me?</p>

<p>Thanks a lot and sorry about the long post!</p>

<p>Yes, the Radio and TV major is more on the technical side of things where Broadcast Journalism gives you more of a writing background, from what I understand. I’m actually going into Freshman year this coming Fall, and I’m majoring in Broadcast Journalism myself. I think that if you want to be on an Entertainment show, Broadcast Journalism would be slightly better. However, if you’re more into the idea of having your own show, you might want to consider Radio and TV as a major.</p>

<p>I think though that it’s safer to get the Broadcast Journalism major because if you’re not anticipating wanting to be working behind the scenes, then it would be best due to Radio and TV’s more hands-on technical side.</p>

<p>Hope that helps!</p>

<p>In journalism, broadcast or print, the journalist writes the story whether it will be broadcast or printed. If you don’t like to write, journalism is probably not for you.</p>