Brockman Foundation Scholarship-High School Class of 2019 Waiting Game

@Texmomto4 , I sent you one. Did you get it?

Yes! Success.

Hey everybody, you might want to double check your credit card bills for the Brockman weekend. We were charged $15.50 for 2 Cokes and 2 Diet Cokes out of the stocked fridge. Those weren’t even in there when we got there! I called and they said it happens sometimes and they will have the manager address it. I ended up with a $20.05 credit on my card! Not sure how I made almost $5 on their mistake but y’all check your statements!

We were charged $62 for a water and a coke. My husband and son know better than to ever use anything out of the mini fridge ? I’m wondering how much money they made. They refunded us $103?!?!

@TXRunningMom I’m not active on any of these so wasn’t able to message you directly, but thought it was interesting that my son made the exact same decision to forego Brockman in favor of the Brown for the same three reasons!

Today was the deadline for accepting the Brockman (or maybe it is tonight at midnight?). My daughter says the Group Me has had 5 kids decline today and 6 kids get offers (only about 85 are on the chat but 115 went to finalists weekend). I thought I would just notate that for next year’s group of scholars/parents who may read through this thread! I’ve also noticed the webpage said scholars may still get notifications into March (not February 15th as first indicated).

@Texmomto4 , that is crazy!

@threejay , tough decision for sure but congratulations on getting both and making a decision!

@TXRunningMom Be very careful with that idea of receiving scholarship money above cost of attendance. I’m not aware of any colleges that allow it, even the ones that allow stacking. You need to ask very specific questions about that.

@itsgettingreal17 , no worries, we’ve done our homework.

The update on the website is helfpul and answers some previous questions:

"Official Update for 2019 Candidates:

Scholarship offers for the academic year beginning in 2019 will be sent to finalists throughout February and March, simultaneously with an allotted deadline to accept. If a scholarship is declined or no response is received by the allotted deadline, the spot will be considered forsaken and offered to another candidate. No extensions to accept the offer will be granted.

After accepting the scholarship offer, finalists will receive a Statement of Conditions and Expectations that must be signed and returned to the Brockman Foundation. This document will constitute a contractual acceptance of the Brockman Scholarship offer, which is binding."

@bctnln1059 thanks! Is anyone willing to provide the statement of conditions and expectations? Or a synopsis?

@TXRunningMom For the Brown foundation package, we have not seen a specific deadline date of acceptance in there. Do you know when we need to make the decision? D is waiting for couple more schools in Mar.

@tvn2018-tx , Congratulations to you and your daughter!! Did your daughter attend an onsite interview or have a phone call? Mr. Brown knows these kids are highly sought after which is why he wants them at TAMU! I know the letter says ASAP but I think you have some time to consider. If your daughter hasn’t sent a thank you note yet to Mr. Brown and Mrs. Matthews, I would suggest having her do that. It will show she is appreciative and yet still keeps the loop open. Don’t be surprised though if Mr. Brown calls her. He is very personable and may want to tell her all about the awesomeness of TAMU and being a Brown scholar!

Thanks @TXRunningMom for the suggestions. My D did a make-up onsite interview. She said she did send a thank you note to Mr. and Mrs Brown and Mrs. Matthews already. I am seeing A&M and the Brown package is the best fit for my D (same reason #2 that you and your D pointed out). However, D’s seeing things bit differently and telling me to wait for couple more schools.

@tvn2018-tx , it sounds like she has her bases covered with Mr. Brown. I don’t think you have to be worried to let the offer sit while she waits to hear from the other schools. As much as I’m sure you would like to be done with everything and tie it all up now, it would probably be best to let her come to her own conclusion that you already know is the best fit!! :slight_smile: Wrap it in prayer and let the Spirit guide her! :slight_smile:

Thanks @TXRunningMom !

@tvn2018-tx , btw, did your daughter take the “golf cart tour” for Brown Scholars yet? That should seal the deal for her if she is meant to be an Aggie. She can go on that before committing to help her decide.

@TXRunningMom that is great idea. Will ask her to schedule the tour soon.