Brockman Foundation Scholarship-High School Class of 2019 Waiting Game

He hasn’t heard anything.

I haven’t either. That’s the problem. If you read through the last couple pages of the forum, you will see that two people received scholarships at noon on Tuesday. I think they sent all of the offers out at once.

Anonymouscandidate420: Any of the candidates attending the weekend have a lot to be proud of on their achievements. As we all know, there’s a limited amount of awards and there were 115 attendees. They may have sent all awards at once, it’s hard to know. Please be proud of yourself and what you have achieved.

I agree with @Agparent66 - there is still a glimmer of hope as the first line of recipients have 10 days to accept. There could be some on the fence with accepting and end up declining to accept another award due to the caveats in place.

Did anyone receive an offer at a time/ date other than 12:00 pm on 1/29/19?

@TXRunningMom . @Mojo1995 , @TXYellowRose , do you know if accepting the scholarship means committing to declining any future college acceptances that might come in March?

@4402ch I’m sorry but I’m not sure. A&M has always been my son’s first choice so he very quickly accepted.

Your daughter could email the contact to see if it’s binding and if there are repercussions if she changes her mind and goes a different route. It’s a very fair question to ask.

@4402ch , I don’t know but I’m guessing that accepting the Brockman would mean declining any future college acceptances. I mean, you have to decline all other scholarships as part of their stipulations so I would think accepting it is committing to it wholeheartedly. That is a tough decision y’all have. Do you think your daughter will receive a scholarship offer too from the other colleges? Is scholarship money a factor for your family or choice of school? I know my daughter applied Regular Decision to Rice and won’t hear back until the end of March. We don’t foresee any scholarship money from them (getting in the school is a big reach as it is!) so for my daughter and our family, the decision to commit to TAMU is easy. Good luck with your daughter’s decision! Keep us posted!

@4402ch I would contact them and request an extension. I am not sure what recourse they have if you accept the scholarship and then later inform them you have changed your mind (other than not giving you the money), so I would think they would grant the extension.

You might also look at item II.B.3 in the link below, which seems to be a statement of agreement among universities not to engage in practices regarding scholarships and financial aid whose effect is to manipulate commitments prior to May 1. Texas A&M is a member of the sponsoring organization of this document. I would think that TAMU would like a response by the date given, but is not trying to manipulate a commitment.

https://www.nacacnet.org/globalassets/documents/advocacy-and-ethics/statement-of-principles-of-good-practice/statement-of-principles-of-good-practice-spgp-with-highlights.pdf

Good luck! Please let us know how it pans out!

Thanks, everyone. To clarify, she hasn’t actually heard from the Brockman and I don’t know if she will at this point, although we’ll wait till after the 12th to see! She has been offered the Brown scholarship so we are very thankful that she will be able to go to A&M for sure! The other colleges are all super-reaches. If she got in to any of them we should receive enough need-based aid for it to be viable, but it wouldn’t be a full ride. She really enjoyed the Brockman weekend and all the kids she met!

My daughter has decided to decline the Brockman Scholarship and take the Brown Scholarship instead. She is emailing the Brockman Foundation now to notify them of her decision. So, maybe, there will be an offer for someone who is on the waiting list as early as tomorrow! Blessings to all! Thanks and Gig 'em!

Wow, that must have been a hard decision! Would you mind sharing some of the reasons for her choice?

@4402ch I was wondering the same.

@4402ch and @Texmomto4 , we are very, very blessed to have this predicament indeed. Both scholarship programs are amazing and outstanding. Since my daughter had to choose between them, the decision for her came down to 3 factors.

1. Outside Scholarships: With Brockman, you have to turn down all outside scholarships. With Brown, you can accept as many outside scholarships are you want. My daughter has several outside scholarships that she has worked hard for that she does not want to decline. The extra money will go towards funding study abroads or a second major or a masters. It isn't all about the extra money though. The outside scholarships also give her intangible experiences too. For instance, she has advanced to a State level competition for an oratory competition. If she wins State, they will fly her to California to compete at the National level. She is also being published in a magazine with her picture and bio for a major essay contest. She is waiting to hear about another essay contest where the winner and family are flown to Boston to accept the award and sightsee around the city. Meeting new people, fun times, and experiences that she otherwise wouldn't have!
  2. Mr. Brown and Mrs. Matthews: These two already know my daughter from the on site interview and email exchanges. They are known as the Aggie Dad and Mom to these Brown kids. They have a vested interest in seeing them succeed and will do any and everything to advocate and help them. For instance, Mrs. Matthews told the kids at the Houston interview that if they ever leave a class confused, email her immediately and she will find someone who can tutor and help them. She emphasized "that day"; do not delay. She wants them to succeed and keep their 3.5 gpa. We have already heard many heartwarming stories of how Brown scholars have been personally helped by Mr. Brown or Mrs. Matthews when they ran into problems, predicaments, or just needed connections for internships/jobs. I thought the Aggie Network was a big deal but the Brown Network is an even bigger deal.
  3. Masters of Business: Though my daughter loves to learn and was more than willing to get paid to get a Masters in Business, it isn't a masters program she would choose on her own. She is also interested in getting her masters at a different university just because that is often recommended for the diversity of educational experiences.

My daughter has met so many fabulous future classmates through both interview processes. She gained wonderful interview practice for future internships and jobs. The exposure to the TAMU campus and offerings through both processes has also sealed the deal for her wanting to attend TAMU over all other schools she applied to. Again, both programs are awesome and amazing! It just had to come down to a personal preference for my daughter to pick one over the other.

Blessings and Best Wishes for all these stellar kids and their future paths!

thanks @TXRunningMom My daughter just got awarded a Brown this weekend also however she hasn’t heard on the Brockman. She only did phone interviews for the Brown so your insight into the Brown Foundation was really helpful since she didn’t have that face to face contact. We are so thankful for the Brown, not that we aren’t still hoping for the Brockman… I think our daughters have been talking since your scenario sounds like the one described by my daughter. I wasn’t aware that Brown would let you keep other scholarships. Just curious if you know, is there any merit in going to the National Scholars Day at TAMU - do you know if there are any future benefits for National Scholars?

@2019odyssey , Congratulations to your daughter! That is fantastic news! We went to the National Scholars Day last summer and it was very beneficial to us. At that point in time, she was considering several colleges and didn’t have any allegiances to any of them. It was helpful to get a taste of “Aggieland” and what all they have to offer. If your daughter has already decided on TAMU, she may not get the same benefits that we did. Of course, every trip we have made to College Station for various events has been enlightening and worthwhile. So, if your schedule is busy and she already knows she wants to go to TAMU, you could skip it I think. Otherwise, field trips to Aggieland are always fun!

@TXRunningMom Thank you so much 1. For starting this thread. 2. For being open in sharing informative information that will benefit many of us! Huge congratulations to your daughter! She sounds like an amazing young lady.

@2019odyssey My son also received the Brown this weekend. He is excited and very much enjoyed his conversation with Mr. Brown. If he happened to get an offer from Brockman, I think it would be a difficult decision, but a great problem to have.

@TXRunningMom and @Texmomto4 let’s stay in touch!! Mom to 4 did we meet at the Brockman? This is Kristy!

@2019odyssey Sadly, I was unable to attend, but my husband did go. Yes, let’s keep in touch!

@TXRunningMom I tried to pm you, but it wouldn’t go through.