Brockman Scholarship for Engineering and Business degree

Hi y’all,
I was wondering if anyone else got an email today from the A&M financial aid office about applying for the Brockman Scholars program for fall 2018-19? I couldn’t find much about it online so I was just wondering if anyone had more information on it/ how many people are asked to apply?

My son got the email as well. A quick look online and it looks like this is the first year it’s offered and there are ~40 students that will receive full tuition. Interesting for sure!

Yes, my son, OOS also received the email. The deadline is February 19, so not much time! My son is an engineering major, how about you?

Mine is a Geosciences major. I think it’s for STEM kids + the commitment to stay for the 5th year and get the MS in Business through Mays.

I have also received brockman scholarships for computer engineering major.

My son started the application, but it asks for an “official” transcript. His school doesn’t allow students access to official copies, only unofficial ones they can download online. We emailed but haven’t heard back. Sure wish there was a phone number!

Yes even my daughter received an email about it. Not sure what it entails.

Yeah I’m an engineering major OOS

same

DS got an invitation to apply. He is a Biology major. I am wondering how many thousand kids received the invite? He read somewhere also that 2018-19 would be the first cohort and that they would accept 40 students.

It is very odd how little information is available online about this foundation. Especially the lack of contact information. We have sent two emails and emailed TAMU regarding our unofficial/official transcript issue and have received no response.

We have the same transcript issue. Will be interested to see if you get a response. I realize this is probably a huge long shot given how few will be chosen (in relation to a school the size of A&M), so I’m not sure if my son will put in the effort. There’s not much time to get all the docs lined up and essays written.

@jackson345 Fortunately, my son was able to cherry pick from previous essays to come up with the two needed pretty quickly but as for recs and transcripts, certainly not much time. I would say that the required commitment to a 5-year course plan will discourage some from applying, hopefully increasing the chances of those that do!

Usually the financial aid office is quick to respond, but still nothing. Maybe whomever opens the emails had to forward it higher, we will be sure to keep updating on this thread

@ggbucks I’m trying to convince mine that it’s worth spending some time on. He really has nothing to lose! That 1 year business commitment made my son pause, but we told him for the $$ he could potentially get it’s an academic sacrifice he should be willing to make. He wants to go on to grad school, which he can still do after year 5.

It is common for scholarship competitions to ask for official transcripts – have you asked the school registrar, your HS counselor, your principal? Mention the words ‘full tuition scholarship’… high schools usually like to boast about scholarships awarded to their students. You might be able to get some cooperation.

@AGmomx2 We haven’t had a chance to ask them about this specific issue yet, but they have offered no cooperation to anyone we know with regards to anything. For example, We asked them to send transcripts in August, a week before the school year began, to Texas A&M so that we could apply to housing as early as possible. And they refused, saying that they would only start sending information the second week of September.

We have had the same issues with rec letters. They refuse to allow teachers to give them to students for anything, even if required. Though some teachers cooperate on their own and will do it without the knowledge of the evil “guidance” office.

My daughter got the email as well and she is a Biomedical major. Has anyone heard about other scholarships from A&M? We are waiting to hear what offers my 2 students will get. I was told they would start sending those out on Feb 23, has anyone received anything yet?

@okiemom1 we have not heard but I read February somewhere (not a specific date). TAMU is not known for being generous with merit though. Outside og NMF I think $3000 year is the best we can hope for. They do have some other scholarships that are need based.

Here’s the link for scholarships - click on each category & there are some specifics https://scholarships.tamu.edu/FRESHMEN/University-Scholarships#0-AcademicScholarships

There are also departmental, corps of cadets, and other various scholarships. Amounts tend to be ‘smaller’ but that is also because the bill for the university tuition is lower, not hiked up & then everyone gets a discount. Here’s the tuition link http://tuition.tamu.edu/