BS/MD Results - Class of 2020

We are in RI, stats for my son.

Not qualified for aid

GPA 3.8 UW
ACT 34
no subject tests
APs: 7

Awards: US Presidential Service Awards two years in a row, US Congressional Award, AP Scholar with Honor, multiple state-level awards for sports, varsity captain, school-wide leadership awards

ECs: Honors music ensemble player, multiple research projects at hospitals and prestigious universities, Patent on healthcare device, science fair, 800+ community service hours, Hospice, National Honor Society, editor of the newspaper

Essays: Very good
Recs: Excellent(accidentally got hold of a few of them after already being admitted to the programs)

Union/ AMC: Rejected
Augusta U: Accepted
UNE: Accepted
Nova South Eastern: Accepted
Rowan U: Rejected
Brooklyn / SUNY Downstate: Accepted
Sophie Davis: Withdrawn
Brown PLME: Rejected
CNorthstate: Accepted
Caldwell / Rutgers: Rejected
W&J / Temple: After first round, rejected pre-interview
Syracuse with LECOM: Accepted
UToledo: Rejected

Rice U: Rejected
CMU: rejected
Tulane U: Accepted
U Rochester: Accepted
Tufts: Accepted
North Eastern: Accepted
Trinity: Accepted
Rose-Hulman: Accepted
Amherst College: Waitlisted

Decision: Brooklyn / SUNY Downstate

2 Likes

Congratulations on your S bs/md acceptance at SUNY downstate. Wow, 800 hours of community service. One does not need such a huge amount of hours(community service). May be 100-200 hrs are sufficient. Yes, well rounded applicants over stereotypes. There are many ways to show passion for medicine than community service. This is for future applicants.

@fp2028 It would be nice if you could share your stats here. Thanks.

@futuremedico thanks for sharing your son’s information and congrats again! I think his perspective of less perfect stats but more EC is probably more inspiring for many future applicants!

@MDHopefulDad, @grtd2010,

Thank you both!

@SPcollege Hi, I apologize this is a late response. (Also, I know this is a results thread; however, I am unable to send messages separately.)
Yes we are in-state. The colleges my D go into are GTech, Emory, UF Honors, UMiami (w/scholarship), FSU (w/ scholarship-was going to apply to the Med program but there was NO guarantee)
Debating btw. GTech and UCF BMS Program and leaning toward UCF.
(1) What we have understood after speaking to the College of Medicine is that the interview is really a formality (in other words students are not rejected due to the interview). (2) BMS students do not have to complete secondaries (3) They have to complete the EC requirements -100 hrs shadowing, volunteering, etc.

My D has thought about going to GTech for BME since it has been her dream school, but UCF seems like a proper route to med school. A 3.8 and a 514 seems to be the requirement and she is willing to work for it, but now she does not have to worry about the application process. This is a nonbinding program.

Emory was out because she would much rather go to Gtech than Emory.
Hope this helps!

@ramen2020 What major did you choose when applying to Brown?

Congratulations @“BSMD mom” !! The PM option doesn’t seem to work for new members. Can you please PM me the consultant’s name. Thanks in advance.

All,
Here are my son’s stats, results:

Ethnicity - SE Asian
Gender - M
GPA: 4.0 UW/4.97 W
SAT: 1570 (Math 800, ERW 770), one and done
SAT Math 2: 800
SAT Chem: 780
SAT Bio M: 770
AP: 11 APs at the time of application (9 5’s, 2 4’s), 4 current APs
IB: IB Diploma Candidate (2 with score of 6 at the time of application with 4 more IB exams this year)
National Merit Commended
ECs: President & VP of a few cultural clubs, VP American Red Cross, NHS Treasurer, Student Council; Award Winning Yearbook staff
LOR: great, from teachers & Hospital Volunteer Coordinator
Essays: decent but definitely not great to warrant many interviews
Research: IB Biology Extended Essay experiment on my own; no institutional research experience
Volunteer: near 800 hours of hospital volunteer; 100-200 non-hospital volunteer hours
Physician shadowing: about 200 hours of shadowing (ophthalmology, dentistry, neuro-surgery, nephrology, pathology, medical examining) - opportunities through medical institutions where I volunteered.

BSMD:
Baylor-Baylor Medical Track: Accepted
Rice Baylor Medical Scholars: eliminated due to interview with Baylor COM via Baylor-Baylor program
Drexel: Rejected pre-interview
Hofstra: Rejected pre-interview
NJIT-NJMS: Got through NJIT but rejected by NJMS pre-interview
OU: Rejected pre-interview
Temple: Rejected pre-interview
Texas Tech: Rejected post-interview
Tulane Pathways to Medicine: Rejected pre-interview
University of Alabama @Birmingham EMSAP: Rejected pre-interview
University of Rochester REMS: Rejected pre-interview

Undergrad: I am including the scholarship amount I got (anything with no amount can be looked up on the schools’ award matrix) to give people who plan to apply next year an idea of roughly what they’re going to get in terms of merit for similar stats.

Baylor: Regent Gold Scholarship, Carr P Collins Scholar
Rice: Accepted with no merit
Drexel: 24K Presidential Scholarship (people who have a need component can get a lot of money via grants while having a lower-tier merit scholarship; this is a great UG if you have a bunch of AP credits and want to intern/co-op to supplement your college financing plan)
Hofstra: 31K Presidential Scholarship
NJIT: Albert Dorman Honor College merit award including tuition, fees, & room (if you love to study technology and engineering, this is heaven for you; they have so many fun majors)
OU: Presidential Scholarship, Honors College
Temple: Presidential Scholarship (full tuition), Honors College
Texas Tech: Presidential Scholarship, Honors College
Tulane: 31K Presidential Scholarship, Honors College
University of Alabama @Birmingham: Presidential Elite Scholarship, Honors College
University of Rochester: 20K merit (I’ve heard that unless you have a need component for financial aid, this amount is roughly about the max they give for merit)
Trinity University: Full-tuition STEM Scholarship (great liberal arts university with a great pre-med program as the basis for building up its STEM programs to compete with Rice University)
University of Pittsburgh: 20K of merit, Honors College, Physician Assistant Program direct-admit
University of Texas - Austin: Accepted with no merit (two Honors programs)
University of Houston: Accepted with half tuition, Honors College

2 Likes

Here are his personal reflections and message to next year’s applicants:

My first regret was not to take the PSAT as seriously as I should have. Since I got near perfect on my PSAT-10, which was the same test the 11th graders took that year for PSAT/NMSQT, I thought I would just ace the PSAT. It turned out, a year later, I missed the cut-off, not by much, but enough to not make NMSF. That made me ineligible for quite a bit of competitive scholarships even though I have a near-perfect SAT score.

My second regret was to take the mock interviews my mom offered lightly. I should have had a great delivery as an answer to the infamous “Tell me about yourself” question for every single interview. Every competitive scholarship and BSMD interviews I had, I always had that question. Lucky for me, the Baylor COM interview was my last. By then, I must have had it down somewhat to get me to an offer from them.

My third wish for a redo would be to take my “why medicine essay” to another level to show more maturity. After all, I’m only a 17 yo HS student. I basically tweaked them to fit around the UG and med schools I applied to. I should have spent more time to find the uniqueness of each program instead of writing about the things that most of these programs offer, and point out how I would be a great fit. I recycled almost the same essay only to change out the school/program names and their mascots. I was just trying to save myself some work. I thought that was a clever trick, but I guess that didn’t impress them, based on the number of invites I got for interviews (ha ha)

Hindsight I still think that it’s better for me to be rejected pre-interview than to have invested a lot of money and time going on interview trips that aren’t fruitful. The BSMD trips and scholarship trips cost us around 2K resulting in a rejection from Texas Tech UMSI, a finalist status for the Baylor COM interview, and a STEM full-tuition scholarship. It’s a great investment in a decent ROI in comparison to the cost of applying through the traditional route. To our family, the bottom-line cost is important - why I kept hoping to get a chance with NJMS through NJIT, but I got caught up in the last batch of NJMS review when COVID-19 broke in late Feb and didn’t quite make it to the interview phase!

A note to people who want to pursue Baylor COM via its two feeder programs at Baylor and Rice: Baylor COM has a policy that they only grant you one interview. That means that if you got the finalist status with Baylor U, Baylor COM will eliminate your name from its finalist consideration for the Rice Baylor program, even if Rice sends your file to Baylor COM for finalist selection. You don’t get a say in picking the UG feeder school to be a finalist for. Baylor U finalists traditionally have their interviews before the Rice U finalists. Baylor COM does not offer people a choice of feeder program, unlike NJMS. I suppose it’s because Baylor COM doesn’t want people to flip between UG since there are only six per UG program. Unless you have a low asset, the income guideline for free tuition/free ride at Rice is just an advertisement. High stats people get rewarded more handsomely with Baylor (if you are OK with being in Waco, Texas for four years)

Knowing BSMD applications could be a crapshoot, I played safe and applied to Pitt for its GAP Physician Assistant program, thinking that if I don’t get in a BSMD program, I can still learn and practice medicine as a PA. However, even with a decent scholarship from Pitt, it still would cost me too much as an OOS (around 250K for six years). So, I’m back, making my wish for Baylor COM while blowing on dandelions. The notification came and I was waitlisted. After May 1, if you don’t commit to your feeder school, you’ll no longer be on Baylor COM’s WL. Having been told that historically there had never been more than 2 people getting off the waitlist, I was ready to move on to my #1 non-BSMD choice. Yet, not even a week later, I got a pleasant surprise from Baylor COM: I got off the waitlist. I guess all of the dandelion blowings must have sent a good vibe into the universe on my behalf. Thank you, whoever turned down Baylor COM’s offer! Whoever that was/were made their decision very quickly. I didn’t expect the WL to move at all until after May 1 or very close to it. So, I am an example of HOPE for those who are wishing to get off your favorite BSMD WL.

People who come next cycle and after - Do the best you can. BSMD is not the only way to med school. Thinking like that should take the pressure off a bit and enable you to show off your real personalities. Also, this cycle (HS 2019-2020) is not typical. Pitt postponed all GAP Medicine interviews to the fall. That poses a dilemma to the GAP candidates: should they commit to Pitt or go somewhere else and transfer to Pitt only after GAP acceptance? The latter choice would nullify any UG Pitt scholarships. In other BSMD programs, there were candidates who had been asked to move their interviews from in-person to online. They definitely have a disadvantage to those who have in-person interviews. It’s harder to make a personal connection in a short 30-min interview without the handshake/fistbump and direct eye contact. For you, this summer probably won’t have a lot of volunteer and/or research work due to COVID-19. But it is what it is. Don’t despair. Just do the best you can under the circumstances. Do good things to benefit others - while keeping your social distance to stay safe - to fill your summer agenda. You’ll be surprised how you spend this summer will enter the conversations during your interviews next year. Also, use the time you have this summer to start on your UG and BSMD essays. Think of “Why medicine.” Not only you will be writing about it but you’ll also be asked about it A LOT over the course of next year. Also, look for the uniqueness of the UG/med school of each BSMD program and be able to rattle right off what you like about it and why you would be a good fit for them. Good luck to all of you! You’ll do great!

1 Like

@junebug20 Congratulations and excellent writeup. What state are you from? Amazed at the number of Presidential Scholarship you received.

@ata2020 We are from Texas.

@junebug20,
Congrats to you and your son. Good luck with everything.

@gradedu @ata2020 Thank you! My son is looking forward to college already even though there is nearly a whole month of HS left:-)

Congratulation, Baylor is a great program. All you need is ONE acceptance.

Thank you, @grtd2010

Note: I won’t be elaborating too much on my application for sake of privacy.
GPA: 4.0 (UW), 4.55 (W), school has an AP cap

Class Rank: NA; Class Size ~400

SAT: 1570, 1530 (1590 superscore)

SAT Subject Tests:
Chemistry: 800
Math 2: 800

AP’s (at time of application):

AP Chemistry, AP Biology, AP Physics 1, AP Calculus BC and AB sub score, AP US History, AP World History, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science: 5/5

AP Physics C Mechanics, AP Physics C Electricity & Magnetism, AP Computer Science A, AP Statistics, AP Psychology (taking in 12th grade right now)

Teacher / Counselor Recs: Assuming they were good but not seen except for research mentor and doctor I shadowed (both showed their recs to me, which were really good – 10/10)

State: no extra geographical diversity brownie points where I’m from
Ethnicity: ORM
Income: middle class
Hooks: N/A

Awards:

• 2X USABO semifinalist
  • Regional science fair winner 3X

Major ECs:

• Shadowing
  • Research
  • Hospital/nursing home volunteering
  • Taught science to elementary/middle school students

Applied to the following BS/MD Programs:

1. RPI/AMC – interviewed - ACCEPTED
  2. Rice/Baylor – interviewed – WAITLISTED at Baylor College of Medicine, which I won’t be getting off of unfortunately because all their 6 spots have been filled (ACCEPTED to Rice undergrad with merit scholarship)
  3. California Northstate University CHS/COM – interviewed – ACCEPTED to 3+4 program
  4. Northwestern HPME – got the supplementary application but rejected pre-interview
  5. Brown PLME – rejected
  6. Boston University BS/MD – rejected pre-interview (accepted to BU undergrad)
  7. University of Pittsburgh BS/MD – rejected pre-interview (accepted to University of Pittsburgh undergrad with merit scholarship and offered interview for full ride merit Chancellor’s Scholarship)
  8. Case Western PPSP – rejected at PPSP pre-interview

Applied to the following undergraduates:

1. UC Berkeley (Computer Science), UCLA (Biology) - ACCEPTED
  2. Harvard, Stanford, MIT, Princeton, University of Pennsylvania – rejected

DECISION: RPI/AMC with good merit scholarship

Reflection:
First off, here’s a short disclaimer. This is just my opinion. I don’t know if it’s right or wrong. Feel free to take it or leave it. Obviously, I have my own perspective and theories, which will be a little different from everyone else’s. The BS/MD process is almost like a black box to some extent because you don’t know everything they’re looking for. You don’t really know what the admission committee is saying or looking at when reading your application or discussing your interview performance. This is my best guess at what happens behind those closed doors.
Wow! I can’t believe it’s finally over! It was so much work but also very worth it! I think essays really make or break your application. I would like to respectfully disagree with those people who say it’s not worth it to apply to Rice/Baylor. I think it totally is – if nothing else, Rice is a tremendous undergraduate university that is great for premed if you can get in. I would have happily gone there in a heartbeat if I had no good BS/MD options. Looking back at my Rice/Baylor essays, I think I got really lucky in that I hit what they were looking for. The way I did my BS/MD essays is that I had a few core stories and themes that kept popping up in pretty much all my BS/MD applications in some way or another. Feel free to take or leave my opinion, but I believe it really boils down to fit at the medical school level as well (not just the undergraduate school). Each medical school has a different mission and in your essays I think it’d be a pretty smart idea to show how you’d be a great fit for each medical school’s values/missions, etc. When looking back at my Rice/Baylor essays and checking out Baylor Medical School’s website, I realized I unintentionally did a really good job of this by hitting research and care for the underserved. Of course, I had a lot of luck involved in getting an interview for Rice/Baylor; it’s just so competitive that no matter how brilliant you are, <0.5% ultimate program acceptance rate with only 6 students across the entire country being selected is NO JOKE. It was a real privilege to be selected for the interview and be in the same room with 24 of some of the best and brightest applicants in the country. I really enjoyed the experience. They had an amazing pre-interview night where we could talk to current Rice/Baylor students, eat food with them, and chill with regular Rice students and sleep overnight in the Rice dorms. We got to eat breakfast the next morning at Rice and go on campus tours at Rice before heading over to Baylor Medical School for the interview in the afternoon. Even though I never got a chance to visit Rice before, this really wonderful positive experience solidified Rice as a great choice for me BS/MD or not. I know a few of the Rice/Baylor interviewees were total superstars with research conferences, abstracts, publications, and/or Intel ISEF winners. One of them got into Harvard, Stanford, Yale, and Rice/Baylor. Another student got into Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, and was waitlisted at Rice/Baylor (if I remember that last part correctly). It sounds crazy, but then again to be accepted to Rice/Baylor, you by definition are NOT normal. Talking to the current Rice/Baylor students on my pre-interview night, I found out some of them had also gotten into Stanford as well and also Case Western PPSP interviews, too. I don’t say this to crush people’s hopes of getting into Rice/Baylor but this is what you’re up against. I also know students with similar profiles to me that got into Rice/Baylor a few years back (and probably this year too I bet – I don’t know the profiles of all of this year’s accepted candidates), so it’s definitely possible if you play your cards right (especially during the interview) to get in but albeit significantly harder. Also, here’s an interesting piece of information about the program timeline. Traditionally, they would accept 25 students into Rice by the end of March or early April and then interview them during April and let them know near the end of April whether they made it into the program. This year, however, they notified the interviewees of their selection by the end of January and held the interviews in late February. I’m glad that all my BS/MD interviews could be done in person before the COVID-19 crisis really shut everything down. As far as I know, all the Rice/Baylor interviewees were accepted to Rice (I haven’t asked all the Rice/Baylor interviewees, but I have yet to come across a Rice/Baylor interviewee this year who did not get into Rice). Finally, there may or may not be a causation effect between being a Rice/Baylor interviewee and a merit scholarship. A lot of the Rice/Baylor interviewees, including myself, got nice merit scholarships. I do believe there’s a strong correlation there, but it could be that Rice/Baylor interviewees typically tending to have strong profiles (rather than being a Rice/Baylor interviewee itself) results in an increased chance of getting a merit scholarship at Rice.
As far as RPI/AMC goes, I’m super excited to go there! It was cold and snowed there when I interviewed in January, which was interesting. There’s a great Hilton Hotel literally connected with Albany Medical College where the interview’s at. I’d definitely recommend sleeping at Hilton Hotel the night before the interview; it’s literally in the perfect location. They obviously love research, and I love research too making us a great fit. Submitting research posters, abstracts, and/or publications will definitely help you because they are interested in making physician scientists. Also, definitely submit a research mentor’s letter of recommendation here if you can because that will go a long way to getting you an interview, combined with your research experiences and essays.

3 Likes

This forum has proved extremely helpful to me, so thank you everyone! Please share your experiences at the end of your incredible journey because it definitely helps all of us out. Good luck everyone!

Posting results for S
Thank you to everyone on this forum, the advice and help from everyone here has been extremely useful. I started looking at this forum in Summer of 2019. I will not be elaborating on details for privacy reasons.

Teacher / Counselor Recommendations: Hopefully they’re good
Essays: Pretty good. He worked hard on them.
Class Rank: top 3 %
GPA: 3.96 UW
SAT: 1550
ACT: 36
Math 790
Chem: 720
AP’s : Biology, Chemistry, Spanish, Calc BC,

State: IL
Income: <150k

Medical ECs:
Research at local university since 10th grade Summer
Volunteered at local hospital since 8th grade 500 hours
Shadowing in 2 specialties - 90 hours

Applied to the following BS/MD Programs:
Penn State PMM 7yr BS/MD – Rejected pre-interview (Accepted UG)
Brown PLME - Rejected pre-interview
U Rochester -Interviewed Waitlisted
WashU -Rejected pre-interview
Case PPSP- Rejected pre-interview (UG: waitlisted)
Drexel- Rejected pre-interview (Accepted UG)
UIC GPPA -Interviewed Accepted
SLU Med scholars program Accepted
UMKC Interviewed Waitlisted
Applied to the following undergraduate schools:
U Michigan Accepted
Duke – Rejected
Vanderbilt Waitlisted

DECISION: UIC GPPA 8yr BS/MD

It’s a roller coaster ride but the programs just want to know you. Just remember that going into the interviews, they already love you and just want reasons to take you. Be yourself and don’t overthink. keep a positive mind and attitude, you’ll end up where you’re destined to. Best of luck to all the future applicants, you got this.

2 Likes

@“BSMD mom”
Can you please PM the Consultants Name. My D is Junior and need some help with BSMD process.
Thank you in advance…