BU vs Emory as a Transfer

I’ve been admitted to both Emory and BU, and I’m having trouble choosing which to attend. Both will be roughly the same cost. BU has a Data Science minor that I’m interested in as well as an Accelerated master’s program, while Emory has a very interesting looking Public Policy major. Please help me decide.

1 Like

Based only on academics (since you haven’t discussed what non-academic preferences you may have), I’d choose Emory in this situation. (And I’m a BU grad fwiw) Emory’s Public Policy & Analysis major falls under the umbrella of its Quantitative Theory and Methods programs, along with the many tracks of the Quantitative Sciences major. These programs are extremely well-regarded and would more than cover the territory that adding a Data Science minor would at BU, but in a more integrated way, because the data science skill-set is applied throughout the major, by everyone in the major, not just those who choose to tack it on.

I would also think that Emory might be an easier adjustment socially, since it’s smaller and more self-contained… plus there’s the whole cohort from the Oxford campus that will be new to Atlanta, in addition to the 100+ external transfer students. BU does have a good-sized transfer cohort (700-ish/year?) but I don’t know how cohesive that group is since they’re spread across a big variety of upper-division programs - do they house incoming transfers together?

3 Likes

It’s Boston versus Atlanta since you do not seem to have a strong preference based on academics.

Fitting in should be easy at either school.

Would be helpful to know your current school & why you want to leave.

Also, would like to know more about BU’s accelerated masters degree program. Will it require an additional semester or two ? Masters degree in what subject area ?

Transferring from an SLC - main reason is that it is too small, and I would be studying Poli Sci at BU, does not seem like it would take longer than 4 total semesters to get the MA.

Emory University has a very attractive suburban/slightly urban location. Easy access to Atlanta (Emory is really located in Decatur, but applied to become part of Atlanta for marketing purposes.)

Historically, BU has served the transfer market by accepting a lot of transfers with varying qualifications. Right in Boston. Larger university than Emory. Very exciting environment.

Emory would be an easier transition from an LAC.

Have you visited both schools ?