Business major uc question

<p>i hear that only berkely and riverside, the best and the worst colleges offer a buisness major. i would probably make it in to a middle uc like san diego irvine santa barbara davis and santa cruz. they don’t have a business major?!?!</p>

<p>They don't have a business major, they offer business economics, which is economics with a business emphasis. This is just as competitive as Berkeley and Riversides' business majors (you still have to apply for it in your sophomore year) and generally will give you the same job opportunities (although arguably Berkeley will have more recognition, it's all undergraduate business), especially in certain places like Irvine, where there is a noticeable business community nearby.</p>

<p>UC Irvine is starting a Business Administration major in Fall 2008. I'm a business econ major at UCI and I'm going to do a minor in Management and the couple professors I talked to at the business school said that's just as good as getting a degree in business administration.</p>

<p>At UCD the major is called managerial economics.</p>

<p>nschuchert: Does UCI have accounting?</p>

<p>I think you can do a minor in management with an emphasis in accounting but that's it at this point. I know they're really trying to open up the business school to undergrads with the new major so I wouldn't be surprised if accounting became a big part of it as well for undergrads.</p>

<p>Does UCI have any reputation with their accounting? Possible to sit for the CPA exam upon graduation?</p>

<p>Actuaslly you can minor in accounting. I just checked the website and here's all the info on the minor in accounting: University</a> of California, Irvine | The Paul Merage School of Business</p>

<p>Not sure about the reputation with accounting. Seeing as you can only minor in it I doubt it's very big at the undergraduate level. However, if you minor in it you take your classes at the business school which is very highly regarded.</p>

<p>Did UCI have anything related to business previous to the new program/major?</p>

<p>The only thing that bothers me is the fact that it will be the first year for the program. No reputation = high risk. It is very likely that faculty are not very structured the first year as it is new to them as well. Is there anything I should know that contradicts my presumption? Thanks.</p>

<p>The faculty usually will not be "new" to teaching per se. They usually hire professors from around the country with quite a bit of experience as it is. As a new program, inevitably there is the problem of name recognition, and there's close to no chance you're going to be competing with a Wharton graduate for top spots. Also, with a new program, you're also not going to be well known in, say, the East Coast, where their crowded field of top business schools is going to make knowing new schools on the West Coast rather difficult. That being said, the one downside to UCI's program is that its likely going to be very regional for the first few years (if not a decade) of its existence, meaning you're probably only going to be looking in the SoCal and, possibly, the NorCal areas for jobs. This disadvantage is, however, blunted when you realize the extent of the Irvine business area. Within 5~10 years of work experience, where you got your business degree is going to not matter as much, and you'll have many more opportunities available.</p>