Buying A New (or Used) Car Experience During Supply Chain Shortages

Just curious @Publisher : Did the higher trim Honda CRV finally get rid of the fake wood accents? Makes is look cheap, and from the past. When we test drove them 2 years ago, we liked most everything, but I just couldn’t get past the cheap fake wood :wink:

I didn’t notice whether or not the car had wood trim. I focused on other things.

I had a brand new Oldsmobile sienna that had all sorts of things break on it within the new car warranty. It finally had the transmission fail just before new car warranty ended. I convinced dealer to give he free extended warranty and yup, transmission died again just before warranty was due to expire again!

Bought extended warranty on my Toyota van and transmission went out twice on that too before warranty ended.

Never did cost comparison on whether I came out ahead or behind but it was Peace of mind.

1 Like

In some areas of the country, AAA offers extended warranty plans.

The one available in the Carolinas covers up to 7 years and 230,000 miles. Average cost varies by make,model, & year of the vehicle.

The Toyota Hybrids are super reliable, so I wouldn’t (and didn’t) get one. We have 2 Toyota plug-in hybrids for reference. Your hybrid system is warrantied for 8 years, 100K miles and the battery for 10 years, 150k miles.

3 Likes

Yes! Someone else with the same issue I had with it. I couldn’t get past the fake wood. Everything else was really nice.

Fake wood? Count me out! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thanks for the advice above. It does give peace of mind, but thinking more seriously about how much I drive, it may not be worth it. I have long drives coming up which is why I bought it, but most days in retirement it just sits in the driveway.

Ford’s stock is rising today based on better than expected earnings & profits.

Ford has cut back production but noted that the computer chip situation is improving & that there is a high demand for EVs (electric vehicles).

We saw a couple of Mach-E SUVs last weekend. Beautiful car! I hope the electric F-150 will live up to the expectations. It is a neat truck. I much prefer that classic truck look to the ugly designs of Rivian or Tesla.

1 Like

What is not classic about the Rivian design other than the headlights?

The headlights (headstripe) and the grill or lack thereof just don’t do it for me. :slight_smile:

But given the choice, I’d prefer a Rivian over butt ugly, useless Cybertruck.

Understandable. I’m with you that the Tesla is ugly. It will be interesting if that ever sees the light of day. There is an Apple TV+ series called The Long Way Up where where prototype Rivian trucks are the support vehicles for 2 electric motorcycles on a trip from the tip of South America to LA. Even as prototypes they were impressive.

1 Like

BTW, has anyone seen the news that a Mirai beat the record of the longest drive on a single “tank”?

Definitely takes some getting used to, that’s for sure. Also, the rear taillight stripe isn’t a “classic” design either.

1 Like

Did someone say “headstripe”?
https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/product/2022/f-150-lightning/photos/photos/3_16x9.jpg/jcr:content/renditions/cq5dam.web.881.495.jpeg

Below is a website that lists the best deals from almost all car manufacturers. most cash incentives expire on November 1, 2021.

cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/best-car-deals

Consumer Reports does a 50+ point road test for most vehicles. Tests such things as seat comfort, noise level, braking, fuel economy, etc. Highest rating is a 99.

The top 20:

BMW 7 series = 99 (However, this is an expensive vehicle with a base price range from $87,000 to $158,000.)

BMW X5/X6 = 98

Chevrolet Corvette = 97

TeslaModel S = 97

Kia Telluride = 96

Audi A8 = 96

Chevrolet Traverse = 95

Porsche Boxster = 95

BMW 5 Series = 94

BMW X7 = 94

Audi A6/A7 = 93

Subaru Ascent = 93

Toyota Avalon = 93

Audi Q7/Q8 = 92

BMW X3/X4 = 92

Volkswagon Arteon = 91

Subaru Outback = 91

Subaru Forester = 90

Audi e-Tron = 90

Tesla Model Y = 90

The top rated Lexus earned an 83.

Currently, considering the Subaru Ascent (93) & the Subaru Outback (91). The Ascent is available, but the Outback has to be special ordered with an expected wait time of 6 months (March, 2022).

The Chevrolet Traverse (95) is an affordable 3 row SUV. Available with first & second row Captain’s Chairs.

You forgot these CR road test scores (note: CR more prominently displays overall score, which includes reliably survey results as well):

Tesla Model S = 97
Toyota Avalon = 93
Volkswagen Arteon = 91
Subaru Forester = 90
Audi e-Tron = 90
Tesla Model Y = 90

You say they took fuel economy into consideration, but it must not have been much consideration if that’s the top 14. BMW 7, 22 mpg.