Cal BC AP score and MA126 and MA227

hi All,

Need your feedback and advice.

With a Cal BC AP score of 3 or higher, UA allow credits for MA125 and MA126. D is thinking of doing MA227 if her Cal BC AP score allows that. But I am a little concern if she is jumping the gun. Has anyone taken MA227 with AP credits and in hindsight, chose otherwise?

BTW she is also on the pre-med track in ChemE.

Thanks All!

I started in MATH 227. I’m so glad I did it. Call 2 is not the easiest class and going straight to calc 3 was a great choice. Picking professors is one the most important parts. My professors were amazing. I know some students who struggled with calc 3 because of their professors. Also since she’s premed that might change things.

My DS (freshman 2015) is enrolled in Honors Calc 3, which professor(s) should he avoid?

Honors calc 3 only has 1 professor David Halpern but I’ve heard good things about him.

For regular calc 3, I HIGHLY recommend Bruce trace. He’s AMAZING.

Those are some seriously large math classes (IMO). I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t add another section?
If not, students (esp those jumping straight into III): stay on top of your work, pay attention, and get extra help (stay late, come early, got to prof office hours, use tutoring) as soon as you need it.

Both David Halpern and Bruce Trace are excellent. (My DS had both of those professors.) You can’t go wrong with either one of those professors.

Every student should know the following:
A.) Your Professors’ and/or TA (Teaching Assistant’s) Office Hours.
B.) Where your Professors’ offices are. Each student should stop in often to speak with their professors and ask questions, review tests/papers, discuss problems etc.
C.) Each student should know that there are “walk-in” tutoring classes that do NOT require an appointment. See the list and location on the students MyBama page. The list will also be on the CAS website (see below).
E.) There are free tutoring services located at the Center For Academic Success, for which the student WILL have to make an appointment.

http://www.cas.ua.edu/default.asp

F.) EVERY student should become familiar with the CAS (in my opinion) since there are workshops such as; Study Skills and guideline pages; such as note taking along with many other resources.
G.) SOME students will need some of these resources, others will need none but it is really good to know that these services exist.
F.) By the way, did I mention that these services are FREE, these services do not cost extra. Only classes carrying credit cost tuition.

I just noticed these two classes given by the CAS, THESE are for credit, so they cost tuition dollars but seem worth it to me.

CAS Academic Support Services     Osband Hall     348-5175

CAS Academic Support Services provides programs and services to help UA students improve study techniques, succeed in particular UA courses, enhance and extend their classroom experiences, upgrade reading proficiencies, and prepare for standardized entrance exams.  CAS services are designed to enhance the academic skills of successful students and to improve the skills of students striving to be more successful academically.

Visit our BEP 110 site for more information about the CAS

Intro to Learning Strategies and Skills course.

BCE 101 Freshman Compass Course:  An introduction to The University of Alabama for first-year students.  The course serves as an introduction to higher education and The University of Alabama in particular.  Approximately 50% of the course consists of study skills related instruction.  Topics covered include time management, learning styles, reading textbooks, taking notes, preparing for tests, and getting along with faculty.  The other 50% includes instruction in staying healthy, becoming involved on campus, career planning, communication skills, and money management.
Click here to view the BCE 101 syllabus.

NEW 222 Academic Potential:  A 2-hour study skills course available to all undergraduates.  Topics that are covered include time management, textbook reading, note taking, preparing for tests, and college writing.  In addition to study skills, the course often covers such areas as campus resources, critical thinking, money management, communication skills, diversity, and living a healthy lifestyle.
Click here to view the NEW 222 syllabus.

Also mentioned is BEP 110 which I found here:

http://www.cas.ua.edu/AcadSup/bep110/index.htm

This is a very long course description, so I will not post it here, just go to the link.