Cal Poly Pomona Official Thread Class of 2027

Beginning Drawing sounds like it would fit the VPA category definition. I would definitely appeal and attach a course description/syllabus with the appeal letter if you do decide to proceed.

This is from the CSU counselor resources documents in regards to Dual Enrollment and CC classes.

Area F: Visual and Performing Arts
Earn a C- or better in a college-level course that falls into General Education Area C1 per ASSIST.

Sounds like CPP counselor does not know what they are talking about.

1 Like

We did see this document when we dug deeper after getting the email from the counselor. It is confusing because we are not trying to claim General Education credit. Also nowhere in the CPP Freshmen requirement page does it say that CC courses taken for a-g requirement has to be meet the GE category. In fact they ask you to refer to UC admissions for A-G requirement details!

" For A-G requirement details, visit University of California - Admissions and to see if your particular high school course meets an A-G requirement, visit A-G Course List."

The problem is that CC classes are not on the a-g list (always states to check assist.org) but CC classes can be used to fulfill a-g course requirements for CSU and UC Freshman admission. Based on the document I posted the F requirement can be met with courses in the C1 CC category. I would definitely pursue the appeal if CPP is a top choice.

1 Like

Will do so, thank you for the assistance! S23 has also applied to SLO, not sure how they are going to take it either… As S23 is looking for BArch programs, this definitely puts us in a pickle as there are not many CA public schools that offer the program…

1 Like

Hopefully no issues with SLO. :grinning:

1 Like

Regarding the freshman residential requirement, if you live in one of the districts listed but did not go to a high school in any of the districts listed, can you still be exempt from the requirement to live on campus?

If you live in one of the local school districts regardless of where you attended HS, you are not required to live on campus.

1 Like

Thank you but are you sure about this? The website specifically says that the housing requirement applies to “First-Year Freshmen who graduated high school from outside the local service area” and does not apply to “ *First-Year Freshmen who graduated from a local high school” so just wondered if simply living in the district would make one exempt?

It says this requirement was reinstated this year. Was this not a requirement in previous years? Thanks

1 Like

Due to Covid, they did not require First time Freshman to live on-campus for the last few years. You can always confirm with the Housing office and if required, fill out the housing exemption. If you live within commuting distance to CPP, they cannot force you to live on-campus.

Housing Exemptions

We understand that living on campus might not be a good match for all students. In such cases, Cal Poly grants housing exemptions for students who meet certain requirements, including:

• Students who are current or active military veterans
  • Students who are married, domestically partnered and/or have legally dependent children
  • Students with an independent status
  • Students who are 21 years of age or older
  • Students who are studying abroad or have an internship
  • Students with medical and disability circumstances; for more information and next steps, visit the DRC exemptions info page

Students who live locally with a parent or guardian

See highlighted reason for Housing exemption.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for providing that information. I appreciate it. That was very helpful!

2 Likes

@Gumbymom

1.if you move to near college after admissions do you still need to stay in dorm?

also i wanted to know regarding all ucs and csus, if the family moves after admission to college proximity , do the freshman still required to stay on campus?

and also which csu and uc do not require first year students to stay on campus?

thanks

The Freshman on-campus living requirement is College dependent so you would need to contact each school and find out their requirements:

1. For CSU’s, exceptions are made for students within a specific mile radius from campus but again it depends on the school.
  2. You can apply for a housing exemption based on certain criteria which should be listed in the housing website for each campus.

Here is a link for UC housing: Living accommodations | UC Admissions
Here is a link for all the CSU’s. Select more information and then on the right hand side of select student life:
Campuses | CSU

For example here is CPP’s information On-campus Living:

Living on Campus

Institution Offers Housing: Yes
Institution Offers Family Housing No
Housing Types (% in Housing Type, If Given): UHS Residence Halls (35%); UHS Suites (28%); Foundation Village Apartments (37%)
Percent of Freshmen Who Live in School Housing: 26%
Percent of Students Who Live in School Housing: 13%
Students required to live on campus: Some freshmen are required to live on campus their first year.
1 Like

2 posts were split to a new thread: Cal Poly Pomona Transfer Thread Fall 2023

You can also check the Common Dataset section F1 to see how many students live on and off campus.

Hi!

My daughter is currently a sophomore at CPP on the Pre-Med track (Bio major with minor in Psych.) Most of the Pre-Med advising seems to be self motivated, meaning you research the information yourself. Here is a link with very good information.

https://www.cpp.edu/preprofessional/major-programs/premedical.shtml

She is also very involved with the PreMed Student Association aka PreMed Club. They meet every other week and discuss all the various resources and steps PreMed students need to get into medical school.

Lastly, she was able to land a research internship at the end of her freshman year. The biology department emails students regularly with various research opportunities available.

All in all, she seems to be on track and content with CPP.

Hope this help:)

3 Likes

My admission status has said “Under Admissions Review” since Nov. 8 with no change. I did have to submit some additional transcripts via snail mail, which were received. Does this seem right? If it’s just a matter of continuing to wait for a decision, that’s fine, but just wanted to make sure I didn’t need to follow up with Admissions?

My nephew 2 years ago had to submit his Senior Mid-year transcripts prior to CPP accepting him and he heard in March. As long as they have the documentation, you should be fine. Patience is part of the CPP process.

1 Like

My son’s senior mid year grade is better than his sophomore and junior year’s. Anyway to submit it to them for admission consideration if they do not ask for it? Nothing at “to do” list when login to the portal.

You cannot submit Mid-year Senior grades unless CPP asks for them. In most cases, students that need to submit their Mid-year transcripts are either borderline (in my Nephew’s case) or admission needs to confirm some of the a-g courses for eligibility.

Normally the CSU’s do not consider Senior grades. In my Nephew’s case he was a local applicant and they wanted to make sure he was on track to complete the rest of the a-g courses prior to graduation.

1 Like

Has CPP released all their freshman decisions for Fall 2023?

1 Like