Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

I had said above that my son had a 1500 SAT and that it would have provided a “slight advantage” to UCs/CSUs, but by no means do I think it’s a slam dunk, nor should it be. For what it’s worth, I’m very much in favor of trying to achieve admissions equity among applicants, particularly with respect to underserved communities, even if it means my son would have received admission in the absence of such “equity” policies. What I was really trying to say is what was true for admissions last year or many previous years is completely untrue this year. It’s entirely unpredictable this year due to the lack of test scores, since you used to be able to predict (somewhat) that with this GPA and this test score, I have a good chance at X. I have no ax to grind and am entirely ok with wherever the chips may fall.

4 Likes

im in state and was accepted to business last week in the first batch

@Gumbymom Do you have statistics for the previous years’ acceptance off the waitlist by major? I got waitlisted for architectural engineering and I know it is a small major at cal poly, so I am curious about my possible chances of getting accepted are?

Congrats

1 Like

I feel the same as @WestCoaster6 - it’s more that there was a data point that once may have benefited my child, and now that data point is not being considered. I’m sorry @emmithegoat if any of my comments came off as anything other than that. We’re all in the same position of having told our kids to play by certain rules, and then the rules changed when it was too late to pivot.

FWIW I would never say it’s always the school’s fault for not admitting my kid. He has some weak spots in his profile that he made choices not to address. He’s been admitted to some great schools, and rejected from some as well. The rejections are disappointing, but it’s futile to focus on "blame when there’s none to be had.

If he’s not admitted to many UCs,yes, we’ll always wonder if that extra data point might have helped. But in the end, it will all work out the way it’s meant to for all of the kids. I appreciate having a place to commiserate with other parents who have similar challenges, and hope not to offend anyone with my neuroses. :grinning:

7 Likes

Agree that you cannot predict chances based on a gpa/score grid, anymore. However, it is fairly easy to predict where you might be on that score based on your grade achievements, high school course rigor, your ECs and what socioeconomic (wealth)/ethinicity group you belong to and I do believe AOs know that and can figure it out. The main population that will get impacted by not submitting scores are those students who are really bright but their personal situation did not allow them to perform well in school/ECs. Scores in one way for them to demonstrate their readiness.

Have they still not sent out any rejections?

if u look earlier in the topic, there is some examples of rejections occuring

There are no stats that I have been able to find for the waitlist based on major only by the University as a whole and no data yet for last year 2020.

1 Like

I dont get why people are including ec’s in this thread and the stats thread when there was no place to put them, only the amount of time per week lol

3 Likes

Any more people admitted for environmental engineering? I still only see three people admitted who are all OOS. I’m instate waiting for an environmental engineering decision.

I think that many users will just copy and paste the information from discussion to discussion. Although SLO only asks for EC hours, leadership or major related job information, students should be proud of their accomplishments and a little boasting cannot hurt.

5 Likes

I think the issue could be that the UCs and CSUs went test blind with no warning to the 2021s. We can debate forever the value of standardized testing, whether its fair, etc., but for those of us whose kids have a good score and were hoping it might help in some way, we may feel slighted about the change in policy about which we had no warning. And when I say “we,” I mean “me.” I’ve said before, I don’t feel like my kids deserves a spot over anyone else, but a big part of his application are his grades and tests scores. Perhaps had he known that test scores would not could at all (not just test optional), he would’ve beefed up other areas of his application. Too bad on him, I guess. Who knows. It really doesn’t matter because what’s done is done and test blind is how it is. I’ve accepted it, but it was still a major policy change that we had no idea was coming.

Anyway, it really will be fine because he has many good out of state choices. Many are less expensive than UCs and the living conditions are better. Maybe they aren’t as highly rated as the UCs, but to me, ratings are only one consideration.

6 Likes

Is anyone else still waiting on Materials Engineering?

Just so future applicants are aware, Fall 2022 will be test blind for all the Cal states and several UC’s as of now. Some UC’s have still not posted their decision about test scores yet.

Which UCs will be test blind for 2022 if you know? TIA

UCLA, Davis, Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara, and Irvine already decided to be test blind through Fall 2024

1 Like

Does anyone know when the final rejections will be sent out?

Berkeley is test free for the fall 2022 cycle.

Exactly. The rules changed midstream. Test optional would have be fair given the circumstances.

3 Likes