Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

And for what it’s worth, UCR has been eeking out decisions for a while now. Pomona too, and I don’t think that was only their high stats kids. And is Long Beach or SJSU done yet? Honestly, I don’t think SLO is worse than any besides the NICE ones LOL who just do them all at once. But ya know, I think what makes SLO seem a little worse is, well, of course, that they’re so popular, so it means more, but also because they have this known acceptance, waitlist, rejection thing. The other schools who trickle out their decisions leave people with some hope, hope that’s not unreasonable because it’s not just the rejections still coming.

1 Like

Wher else did u appl y to?

I agree with you. DS’s friend from high school applied to SLO with the same major. Of course we know each other’s GPA and EC. His friend is very smart but with less GPA, he received the waitlist a few weeks ago. My son is still waiting for the decision . Probably he will receive the rejection notice very soon…but why wait?

Those are the scenarios that really are frustrating.

Super frustrating for sooo many - I get it. BUT do not be unimpressed with CP SLO. We have a son in engineering and one waiting for a decision still. Older son loves loves loves Cal Poly. It is a great fit for him and really enjoys the learn by doing philosophy. Just be patient for another two weeks.

I don’t know how many more acceptances will be coming out, but I think it’s major dependent and I do think admissions was honest in saying more acceptances will come out. For example I haven’t seen a single acceptance for the school of Art & Design. So we are holding out hope that those programs haven’t released. FWIW the portfolio submissions were only due on 2/23, so it’s understandable that it may take longer. There are other majors that also have portfolio requirements.

If anyone has received an acceptance to Art & Design / Graphics Design we would very much like to hear about it.

4 Likes

Very well said!

I’m referring to the admission process not the school. I don’t think it’s right to put our kids through it. The process could be a lot better IMO. It is what it is, I won’t lose sleep over it.

I know its a small major but I have only seen one decision for Materials Engineering. I hope that means they haven’t finished admitting for that major yet.

As bad as it seems at some of these state schools with their admission policies, just be thankful we don’t live in Texas - the process UT uses to admit is a complete mess, and leads to many high-stat students leaving the state for other schools.

I have no idea, but perhaps technically true if including transfers or international?

Sharky, waiting on materials engineering as well. Haven’t heard anything so far.

Study the acceptance patterns from previous years. The good news for you is that Art & Design or any portfolio submission majors usually come later. Check to see how much alter by searching past topics. Best of luck!

I agree. My son has still not heard from SLO (which from this board we are taking to mean a rejection is coming) and he was rejected from UCI on Friday. We previously thought he was a high stats student and he has that top 9% designation in his UC Apply account, but now it’s seeming it’s still not good enough compared to accepted students. He studied really hard for the ACT in fall of junior year and scored in the 99th percentile on the first try, but since he was also working and volunteering and had limited time he got two Bs that semester. Two Bs – horrors! (I’m being sarcastic in case it’s not clear). Anyway, who knows, but now it feels like possibly those two Bs and one more B he got in a really hard AP class are likely what is pushing him below the cut line. Like so many others he has tons of ECs, APs, and rigor. Anyway, it’s just a confusing time for him (and for me as his mom trying to understand how all of this works/doesn’t work). I’ve rambled, but yes, it would have been much nicer to get the SLO rejection over with sooner and not be left wondering/hoping for weeks even with all the evidence and history to the contrary.

5 Likes

@Momella21 I can definitely commiserate with how you are feeling. My daughter was waitlisted at SLO.
She also studied really hard and did really well on her SAT. I felt this combined with her grades would help distinguish her from the rest of the applicants. However, without even the option of listing her scores (which is a whole other topic) she became just an average applicant. I feel odd saying that given her gpa is 3.75, 4.15, 4.55. The Cal State app doesn’t give students any real opportunity to highlight their ECs or personal achievements either so this further hurt her application. Because of this, we focused all our efforts on the UC essays. My daughter literally worked on them from Aug to Nov. Hopefully it pays off. Good luck to your son. His 9% designation means he will get into a UC, just not sure which one. I know that does little to relieve your anxiety. The next few weeks when the remaining UCs release their decisions will be stressful for everyone!

4 Likes

Just an FYI: The top 9% designation for CA students is known as ELC and the default campus is UC Merced if room is available.

My D, who was accepted on February 23rd in biological sciences, just got an email invitation to apply to the Honors Program. Anyone else get it too?

Yes. My boys both received it too.

My son did not receive it. I had looked into it prior and probably not a good fit for him anyway, so I guess I won’t be too bummed :grinning:

You don’t need to be invited to apply but probably not a fit for mine either. I think they will have enough on their plate.

Ok, good to know. This was the part that was a red flag for me:

For students with a significant number of AP general education transfer credits, it will be very difficult to satisfy the elective Honors course requirements in a timely manner (if at all).

and there was a lot of talk about needing to have interest in sustainability and social justice, neither of which are my kid at all!