Cal Poly SLO Fall 2022 Admissions - Class of 2026

Understood. It just seems that CP is missing out on some good future engineers because of the way they structured their Admissions.

If I order an entrée off a menu at a restaurant and the waiter/waitress says that they are out of that item, they allow me to order something else. If they decided to kick me out of the restaurant instead for ordering something that they were out of, they would be missing out on some customers.

1 Like

Yes it’s true that students and parents have option to apply or not based on the college method of comprehensive review campus utilize; however, there is a flaw to Forum Champion’s argument based on following:

Berkeley Holistic review incorporating the faculty-approved comprehensive review factors with no fixed weight on any factor. Every achievement, academic or non-academic, is considered within the context of opportunities available to the applicant.

Davis Holistic review incorporating the faculty-approved comprehensive review factors with no fixed weight on any factor. Every achievement, academic or non-academic, is considered within the context of opportunities available to the applicant.

Irvine Holistic review incorporating the faculty-approved comprehensive review factors with no fixed weight on any factor. Every achievement, academic or non-academic, is considered within the context of opportunities available to the applicant.

Los Angeles Holistic review incorporating the faculty-approved comprehensive review factors with no fixed weight on any factor. Every achievement, academic or non-academic, is considered within the context of opportunities available to the applicant.

Merced Fixed weight incorporating the faculty-approved comprehensive review factors considering both academic factors weighted at 70% and non-academic factors weighted at 30%.

Riverside Fixed weight incorporating the faculty-approved comprehensive review criteria that are used to calculate an Academic Index Score.

San Diego Holistic review incorporating the faculty-approved comprehensive review factors with no fixed weight on any factor. Every achievement, academic or non-academic, is considered within the context of opportunities available to the applicant.

Santa Barbara Holistic review incorporating the faculty-approved comprehensive review factors. Every achievement, academic or non[1]academic, is considered within the context of the opportunities available to the applicant.

Santa Cruz Holistic review. Every achievement,

They all sounds similar to me so it’s like saying “even though I don’t like Social Security amount that I am getting, should I apply for Social Security? “ I would!

Love your analogy but i guess if the restaurant had a line out the door (like SLO) and you wanted sushi and they’re a burger joint they may just point you to the exit and offer your table to the cheeseburger lover in the line behind you. Probably a case of SLO having so many thousands of apps and it being too challenging logistically to compare your CS student (once “rejected”) to the EE pool of applicants.

4 Likes

I sure hope not. Sushi may be my first choice, but I would like to have the chance of eating a burger rather than being shown the door

I think the point is that there are always plenty of other just as qualified future engineers that do know, and that will take the spot. If demand weren’t so high, maybe they could think about the student “customer” they are missing out on. With Cal Poly there seems to be an endless supply of excellent future everything that want to attend.

5 Likes

I am sorry but the posters were discussing SLO not the UC’s. Different schools with different application review methodologies. I do not want to derail this discussion anymore about “What if” or “Why can’t SLO do this”. You are welcome to start a new separate discussion or join the current discussion on holistic review.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/t/holistic-reviews-of-applicants/

7 Likes

I don’t think EE and CS are that similar. They are on opposite ends of the computing continuum and EE also has a ton of areas outside of computing, such as power/energy and IC design.

Generally, CS is harder to get in but easier material and EE is easier to get in but tougher material :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

3 Likes

This is the main reason my daughter might not attend SLO even though she was admitted to CENG (software engineering). She loves STEM, really all STEAM, but would really prefer to try out different majors, change her mind, double major or minor, especially if she decides SE is not for her.

But we know it’s really hard to switch around at SLO and, it seems, most of our UC/CSU’s especially trying to move into or even within the engineering schools. We’ve come to understand that our state schools need to move a huge number of students through their systems to get their degrees, and there aren’t enough resources to allow every student the freedom to dabble, change their minds often, etc when there are just so many of them. So we still love SLO and our UC’s, and especially their price tags, but realize they might not be the best fit for our daughter.

So she’s applied to other private and OOS schools that would give her more flexibility even with the engineering students. If she does go to SLO, it will be with eyes wide open.

5 Likes

Clueless over here… how is the PSAT important?

It’s not, really, unless you have a good chance to be a National Merit Finalist.

3 Likes

My D applied for Biochem and hasn’t heard. (Not a good sign). She knew that only 16% would get in, but thought she would get in. Had she known that she wouldn’t get in, she would have picked an easier major

2years ago, my older D realized that she couldn’t get in for Animal Science, but would get in for Dairy Science. Since Dairy only had about 4 courses that were different than Animal, she applied for Dairy and got in. However, she decided to go to CPP instead

2 Likes

Is she happy at CPP?

1 Like

Yes

2 Likes

CPP has an excellent animal science program!

1 Like

Yes, she applied and got in for Animal Health Science, which is slightly more of a Vet Tech major, since that is her career goal.

In the past, SLO has awarded National Merit Finalists a small scholarship. I’m not sure if they are still offering it but, if they do, and you are a NMF, you should be receiving an email asking you to submit your award letter.

1 Like

Agreed, but if you do fall into the group of people for whom that sort of testing comes naturally, the National Merit program is (at least for now; I suspect it is going to lose some of its power as test-optional takes off) a major hook.

2 Likes

Your daughter got into SE, one of the most gated majors, so if she wants to change into one not as in demand, she shouldn’t have a problem. One issue is engineering has a very sequential degree flow so if she hops around too much, she’ll delay her degree significantly. I’m sure she could add a minor if she wanted.

1 Like

Thanks, she did apply to SE in hopes it would give her (relatively) more flexibility if she decided she wanted to switch later. But yes, I’ve been learning a lot on CC about how rigid/sequential the engineering majors are, so would be hard to move around a lot. I wasn’t sure if she’d really be able to minor in anything with such a rigorous major, or do much of any dabbling to decide what else she might be interested in. Still, we are so grateful she was admitted and still excited at the prospect that she could attend. :pray:

1 Like