Cal Poly SLO Fall 2023 Admissions - Class of 2027

But you don’t send your transcripts to them until admitted and enrolled. You self report on the application.

Unless the application self populates when you list a class for your high school and it says “elective” then? I obviously did not see the application when my kids filled it out.

Ah ok, ty!

2 Likes

If which is a big IF, Cal poly SLO is till using a similar rigor points system mentioned in the 2013 MCA score calculation, there was a cap on the # of rigor points so having the maximum recommended years of these A-G subjects may make or not make a difference. Unless SLO discloses their algorithm, all this is just speculation.

1 Like

Are they listed as electives here? They may be considered electives by your counselors/students but, may be classified in a different category with the UCs/CSUs. It depends on how the original coursework was submitted way back when.

Sure, many can be categorized within the A-F, but I was responding to this “it only counts if your school includes it under “English” on the transcript” which is confusing because the HS transcript would list them as electives.

At any rate, I’m not terribly worried about, just find the topic and how things are done interesting.

True. That was almost his exact wording. But as you said, it’s self reported. So, I don’t know. It’s odd he made a point of giving that example.

She took:

Algebra 1 in 7th
Geometry in 8th
Precalculus in summer before 9th
Algebra 2 in 9th
AP Calculus AB in 10th
AP Calculus BC in 11th
AP Statistics in 12th
College Math Course at UNR Reno in summer

So true, it is insane.

If students are in California, they can check if their class is in the English category according to the A-G.

My daughter’s school listed an AP seminar and another writing class under English.

Just type the school name and review the list.

2 Likes

They officially said all decisions will be posted by April 1st

They say that every year and all decisions last year were posted by March 30th.

1 Like

Especially for a stem engineering major those kids take math and sciences I do know they have a points system so if you meet max points without the 5th year it won’t matter I suspect but who knows

1 Like

When I called and asked they said some kids take it in the summer as a college course :woman_facepalming:t3:

Yeah, my kids take things in the summer but they would not choose to take a class that is already in their high school curriculum (like just more English or math).

They take advantage of the summer to try something they can’t normally just do during the high school day, like architecture, neuroscience, law, film making, etc.

5 Likes

How can you have 5 years of English in High School? The Cal State app will count math and foreign language from 8th grade but did not know they also counted English.

To meet SLO’s 5 year English requirement, I have seen students take a Literature/English course during the summer at their local community college. Also AP Seminar as noted by a few posters, would be considered an English course.

Curious, I looked at the UC/CSU course list (linked above) to see what different HS offer. I saw English electives such as Shakespeare, Expository Writing, Sports in Literature, Literature of the 1800s, Literary Magazine, Mythology, etc.

I know there are a decent number of people from Berkeley High School on CC. Berkeley High School offers at least a dozen English electives. They even have two that receive an honors GPA bump.

Yes, there are different English class options, but typically they serve as the student’s choice for 11th or 12th grade English, rather than being an extra elective added on to a schedule that also includes a core English class.

Yes my kids high school offers 20 English classes and that does not include the usual English 9,10,11,12.

1 Like

My kid has dual enrollment classes that count as two separate college courses, giving him the 5+ years of English. Math and foreign language were accomplished with 8th grade.

1 Like