Cal Poly SLO Fall 2023 Admissions - Class of 2027

SLO is a very closed book, hard to predict here.

1 Like

No, it’s just the Farmer’s market. Last year Cal Poly had a few booths set up -‘I accepted’ photo booth, etc - on the street but it isn’t mandatory. They will have photo booths during open house. I would not miss open house and the campus showcase days, though.

5 Likes

I find the process unsettling almost every applicant is going to have a similar GPA I bet 98% get max points and class rigor and then what they don’t look at leadership extra curricular aside from asking how many hours . My son will have max points and his leadership and awards are impressive but they don’t look at them so I’m not sure how they determine who is set apart .
He has a job but they want it to be 20 a week and his was not he couldn’t with club and varsity sports and ASB president stuff it was more like 8 hours a week but more in the summer but he won’t get max points for the job question . Cal poly is his first choice so we pray he is one of the lucky ones as all kids seems to be equally impressive :blush:

3 Likes

My question would be how can they be considering extracurricular activities when there is no place to put them on the application?? We found the Cal State application - especially to a highly competitive school like Cal Poly - to be bare-bones and lacking for a student to really show who they are beyond a GPA.

4 Likes

They consider EC’s by the hours listed on the CSU application under Program Materials. SLO does not know the types of EC’s but they do ask about Leadership and if an outside job was major related.

Each CSU campus/program may or may not have additional questions or required information in the Program Materials section of the CSU application but several offer this area to aid in the application review

My point being that college admissions for most schools is not transparent. Before a student applies to a school, they should look at the criteria that they are going to use to evaluate them (as noted easier said then done). If they feel that the evaluation process will not work in their favor, the student can choose not to apply or work with the system.

3 Likes

I agree but everyone applying has a similar gpa and class rigor so then what how do they choose it’s confusing

I do know 4 people who applied who said yes their job was major related and one was a waiter and applying for com sci so everyone is saying yes I doubt they will verify after the fact . I suspect most kids will have the same stats as my son it will be interesting for sure

1 Like

I have a rising Jr. who wants to attend SLO. She is “happy” to take an English class this summer at CC to meet the 5 year max. I am looking at the course choices and and wondering if any English class that is listed as CSU transferrable will work? Some say “UC/ CSU tranferrable” and others say “CSU only”. Maybe its better ask admissions which CC classes qualify?

Any UC/CSU transferable class will work. I would look at assist.org to confirm.

2 Likes

So if its says “CSU only” probably not a good choice.

I would have your student keep their options open so I would select an English course that is both UC and CSU transferable. Cal states have 1 extra English requirement for transfers that the UC’s do not require which is an oral communication (speech) course so that course you are considering might fit this category.

1 Like

I very much doubt Cal Poly “doesn’t care” about science for engineering. Lab science was scored second highest after math in the old MCA points system. If you have a child interested in engineering then they are much better off concentrating their APs in Calc, Bio, Chemistry, and Physics C Mechanics and Electromagnetics, not Physics 1 & 2. This will give them max rigor and prepare them well for their first year of engineering classes, no matter where they go. I think taking AP Lit and AP Lang is very important since the combo gets you out of three english requirements at Cal Poly but if your child wants to be an engineer or STEM concentrate on math and science. Cal Poly isn’t the only college they’ll be applying to and they’ll be very competitive with maxed out AP science classes. Physics C will be the discriminator since fewer high schools offer it and even fewer kids take it, particularly Electromagnetics.

FWIW, I had both my sons take Physics C and both got into Cal Poly. One in engineering, one in CAED. Overall, they were strong students, coming in with 14 and 11 APs, respectively, but I like to think the Physics helped tip it to them.

1 Like

Heard from a colleague that her son received Cal Poly admission last week. I wonder if acceptances have started to come out?

Cal Poly Pomona has been rolling out decisions within the last 2 weeks. I would be very surprised that Cal Poly SLO would have posted decisions this early based on their history plus this thread would have blown up.

SLO did admit some International applicants and US citizens that are studying abroad earlier than their regular decisions last year.

1 Like

And there’s always Cal Poly Humboldt as a possibility too.

3 Likes

I heard that they have! Someone got accepted for agriculture.

1 Like

You have more details since usually this thread starts to show more activity if acceptances are posting. So far crickets other than hearsay.

Any idea when we can anticipate decisions?

Last year acceptances started March 10, so I would say early March. If they start earlier than that, it will be a nice surprise. Also want to warn all applicants that SLO will drag out the decisions usually over a period of 3-4 weeks so be prepared. Their usual sequence is a wave of admits, followed a week later with waitlists and then followed a week later with denials. There is always the possibility they will change it up but since I have been a CC contributor, this pattern has been pretty consistent.

Cal Poly SLO admit wave started on March 10, 2022 with a mixture of OOS and In-state applicants. Waitlist decisions posted March 18, 2022 along with a few acceptances. Admits for students requiring a portfolio review trickled out on March 24, 2022. Denials were posted on March 30, 2022.

3 Likes

Not even for electives like PLTW for STEM majors? Does anyone even see if a kid took Project Lead The Way classes, or is it just an algorithm calculating the points?

1 Like