Cal Poly SLO vs UCI EE major

I got into both UCI and Cal Poly SLO for EE and I’m having some trouble deciding between them. Any help is appreciated.

Have you visited both campuses? Likes and dislikes for each? Both EE programs are ABET accredited so curriculum wise they are similar. Locations are very different so do you prefer access to a more urban area or small town?

What kind of experience do you want for the next 4 years? Both are good options and both will set you well in the job market and for internships.

So you need to figure out which school would be your academic, social and financial fit?

https://engineering.uci.edu/dept/eecs/academics/undergraduate/electrical-engineering

1 Like

Totally different environments.

SLO is rural and the vast majority of students live on campus or in the surrounding community. Community is small town with mom and pop businesses. Students tend to be more outdoorsy and there are lots of social activities on the weekends. Education is more hands on - “Learn by Doing.”

UCI is urban and very close to an airport. Weekends are very quiet with many students leaving and going home to SD, LA or OC. Surrounding community has large commercial shopping centers. Beach cities of Newport and Laguna are very affluent.

1 Like

According to College Scorecard, average earnings at 2 years are similar, with a little advantage to Poly ($80K vs $87K). They are so different in all the ways mentioned above that I would think intangible, stylistic differences would clearly sway you one way or the other. Congrats!

2 Likes