Cal Poly Wait List Statistics Major

Hello,
My son was accepted into several CSUs and waitlisted to CalPoly SLO. Intended major Statistics. This college would be absolutely ideal for my son because of location, academics, and their ballroom team (S is a Ballroom dancer). The email my S received says the decisions will be made by May 15th so we’ll have to accept an offer from another college. I was trying to find stats for applicants admitted from wait list to different majors. I was able to find only general information. Does those stats exist?
Also, I’ve read here on CC that an applicant has to accept wait list but there is no such option on my son’s portal. Should we contact the college?
Thanks

The email our D received yesterday stated:

“If you no longer wish to be considered for admission to Cal Poly and would like to be removed from our waitlist, please follow this link to indicate your decision to be removed by Wednesday, March 20.”

So it seems that your S is automatically on the waitlist unless you ask to be removed from it.

2018 Waitlist data for SLO:

of qualified applicants waitlisted: 6643

of applicants admitted off waitlist: 2436

2017 data:

of qualified applicants waitlisted: 3168

of applicants admitted off waitlist: 15

Waitlist data is on the common dataset section C2. No way to predict how many applicants will be accepted off the waitlist until after May 1.

Thanks! I just wanted to make sure.

Wow! What a difference!

VeryCrazyMom, if your son does get an acceptance offer after being on Cal Poly’s waitlist, you may suddenly have a flurry of questions as you try to decide between your son’s university options. My son just committed to attend Cal Poly as a statistics major next year, so we attended the Open House and the statistics department information sessions. I’d be glad to answer any questions you have and share the various impressions we gained about the program and the school during that more in-depth visit.

Good luck with any waitlists and with the decision about what college your son will attend!

@verycrazymom, the difference is that they eliminated ED for the first time in the 2016/2017 application cycle and had much higher yield than anticipated. They didn’t have any capacity to take students off of the waiting list. Last year and this year they seem to be managing it differently by accepting fewer, waitlisting more and managing yield so as not to over enroll.