Calc I Evening Lab

<p>What’s the real deal with the Calc I evening Lab? Do they meet every session?</p>

<p>It will depend on the prof.</p>

<p>I can’t speak about Cal I, but for Cal II, etc, the profs my kids had only used it for exams or for extra tutoring time.</p>

<p>My son’s calc I lab never met. Some professors do use the time to give tests and recitation, though. It’s up to the teacher. He had an intro engineering class that met only on the first day, but then the rest of the classes were done online. The big PIA about these “phantom labs”, as I called them, is that they conflict with other courses you might want to schedule, but you will not be able to. It is very frustrating when you have to adjust your schedule and pass up a class you want to take, and then the recitation/lab doesn’t even meet. Unfortunately, this does not just happen in the fall. Son had recitation periods cause conflicts in the spring as well, but at least that time, the professors did actually use the recitation period for instruction and test giving. Look on the bright side. If the recitation/lab doesn’t meet, that’s going to give you some “free time” to catch up on some work or actually get something to eat!</p>

<p>The good news is that many of these labs “go away” after frosh year. The higher level math classes don’t have them. </p>

<p>I agree that they can conflict with other classes that you might want to schedule, but since they’re at night, they don’t conflict with scheduling day classes. </p>

<p>One of the odd things that I noticed when my older son started college was how many various lower division courses have “labs”…this is common at other universities as well. When I went to college, I only remember science classes having “labs”…now philosophy courses, foreign language courses, and others have “labs.” I guess it’s because of computer technology.</p>

<p>Just checked son’s schedule for the fall, and his Calc III class has an evening lab on Tuesday night. Don’t know how much more math he’ll have to take, he’s a mechanical engineering major, but this is his third semester with an evening lab in addition to his math class. CBH also has an evening lab, which definitely met last year, and both class sessions met together at the same time for that lab. Son’s Physics I class had a recitation as well, which always met. So, when planning your schedule, I’d assume these labs will meet and not overload too much on that day, if that’s possible. As you’ll find out, there will be some long days.</p>

<p>Montegut - DS had CalcIII spring semester and as M2CK said, they didn’t use the evening lab slot. Worked out nice for him since it opened the time up for his UH group to meet.</p>

<p>Thanks, socal. Not to hijack, but who was his Calc III professor? Still waiting for profs to be announced.</p>

<p>Back to topic, though. Even though the lab did not meet, he was not able to schedule by computer a class, right? The UH group meeting was probably an informal meeting set up among the group, right? Correct me if I’m wrong. Thanks!</p>

<p>Just checked son’s schedule for the fall, and his Calc III class has an evening lab on Tuesday night. Don’t know how much more math he’ll have to take, he’s a mechanical engineering major,</p>

<p>I think he’ll have to take at least Dif Eq as well.</p>

<p>Montegut - true he couldn’t schedule another course. The “meeting” was for their group project - somehow it turns out that was the best time for all. His calcIII professor was Martin Evans. Favorable opinion of him.</p>

<p>Both of my kids liked Martin Evans… ^^^</p>

<p>Socal, I think our sons were both in Evans’ Calc III class! My son thinks the world of Evans; if math is not your strong suit, you will emerge from Evans’ class with a solid foundation and newfound respect for the subject.</p>