Calculus 1&2 book

<p>Could someone please tell me the exact title and author of the Calculus 1&2 book? I would like to purchase it at Amazon for my DD to look at before BB. She’s an incoming freshman. </p>

<p>Another question: Would the Honors Calculus 2 book be different?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>^ I’d be interested in leaning about this, too!</p>

<p>Since a prof may choose a different book or a newer edition, it may be too early to know what book to buy.</p>

<p>I just checked on mybama, and the textbooks for those classes have not yet been named. So, right now, we don’t know if the same book from this past semester will be used or not.</p>

<p>I’m thinking that Cal 1 and Cal II are different books. Don’t know if honors usually has a different book or not. Cal II does NOT build on Cal I, so that’s why I’m thinking that they’re not the same book for both classes.</p>

<p>myBama</p>

<p>click on ‘Guest Sign In’</p>

<p>go to ‘Guest Resources’ tab</p>

<p>second box down on the left is ‘Banner Self Services’</p>

<p>Click on ‘Class Schedule’</p>

<p>Enter the term you want ‘Fall 2011’</p>

<p>Then select the class you want to see.</p>

<p>You can go ahead and plan your child’s full Fall semester for them without the guilt associated with signing in to their myBama account. You’ll note that many of the texts for the courses have not yet been provided. Stay tuned, they’ll update them eventually.</p>

<p>Now, anybody know why a couple of the mandatory Engineering classes are not yet in the schedule? DR 101 and GES 145 are not listed yet. Arghhh.</p>

<p>My son took Calc I and is taking Calc II now. He used the same book both semesters. I’ll check the title, but I would advise you waiting until closer to the semester to order the book, in case the teacher does change texts.</p>

<p>Just in case anyone else was wondering, those Engineering DR and GES classes have been discontinued and a new frosh engineering plan was incorporated last fall. I made a new thread with the details.</p>

<p>Ack!!! I just looked up Honors Western Civ to 1648 – using loring’s method – and the “detailed description” page says it’s already overbooked for Fall 2011!! There are seven slots, all filled, with a wait-list of five kids. How can this be? I thought registration wasn’t even available until Bama Bound??? (This is a freshman course, I believe. I looked up the class with Professor James Mixson, because he’s the one John’s doing his Freshman Learning Community thang with.)</p>

<p>I hope the detailed description was actually for the current semester. Otherwise, I’m about to have me a little ole panic attack. How can my son NOT get into a required core course in his major – more than a month before Bama Bound? (Warning: Parental Meltdown in Progress.)</p>

<p>Don’t need to meltdown.</p>

<p>Many of the frosh sections haven’t even been added yet, just so the upperclassmen won’t select them.</p>

<p>(LOL…relax…if these things are going to give you meltdowns, you won’t last a year.)</p>

<p>NR 40163 HY 105 001 MA 3.000 Honors West Civ To 1648 TR 02:00 pm-03:15 pm 16 14 2 5 0 5 George W. McClure (P) 08/18-12/03 TH 256 History and University Honors</p>

<p>NR 40168 HY 105 002 MA 3.000 Honors West Civ To 1648 TR 03:30 pm-04:45 pm 25 22 3 5 0 5 David A. Michelson (P) 08/18-12/03 TH 111 History and University Honors</p>

<p>NR 48994 HY 105 003 MA 3.000 Honors West Civ To 1648 MWF 01:00 pm-01:50 pm 25 20 5 5 0 5 Renee J. Raphael (P) 08/18-12/03 TH 253 History and University Honors</p>

<p>C 40170 HY 106 001 MA 3.000 Honors West Civ Sc 1648 MWF 11:00 am-11:50 am 25 25 0 5 0 5 Holly L. Grout (P) 08/18-12/03 TH 107 History and University Honors</p>

<p>C 45647 HY 106 002 MA 3.000 Honors West Civ Sc 1648 TR 12:30 pm-01:45 pm 25 25 0 5 0 5 Jonathon W. Hooks (P) 08/18-12/03 TH 258 History and University Honors</p>

<p>Looking at Fall 2010 to get an idea of what will be offered in Fall 2011, there were 5 sections of Honors Western Civ to 1648 offered with 25 kids in each class.</p>

<p>Provided that they aren’t changing the assigned textbook, the same textbook is used for the honors and non-honors sections of Calculus I, II, and III.
The book is Essential Calculus : Early Transcendentals by James Stewart, ISBN: 9780495014287. I have a copy sitting in my closet that I’ve been meaning to sell back; the Supestore is still buying back the book, so I assume it will be used next semester, but there are no guarantees that it will be.</p>

<p>Thank you for the advice against buying the book too early. They are pricey.</p>

<p>Sea_Tide: Thank you for the book title. Do you remember which chapters or topics are included in Calculus 2? My D just wants to feel comfortable with her decision on taking Calc 2 Honors. </p>

<p>Does anyone know how the Calculus 2 honors course is different than Calc. 2?</p>

<p>Cuttlefish - I’m not sure about this coming fall but last fall they did not offer an Honors section of Cal 2, so she might not have a choice. They did, however, offer Honors Cal 3this Spring (go figure!). My D thinks Honors Cal 3 has been a good course but a lot of homework and quizzes that are time consuming.</p>

<p>momofonly1 - They didn’t offer Honors Calc 2? So did your D take regular Calc 2 in the fall and then Honors Calc 3 in the spring?</p>

<p>Pinot - That’s right, Honors Cal 2 wasn’t offered so she took regular Cal 2 first semester and she is currently taking Honors Cal 3.</p>

<p>Thank you momofonly1. We haven’t looked at the fall schedule yet. I guess we had better do that next. D is studying for her 3 AP tests. They are only 2 weeks away. Hard to believe that high school is almost over.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>One of my sons took non-honors Cal II because Honors Cal II is not usually offered in the Fall. I don’t know why they offer Honors Cal I and Honors Cal III in in the fall and not Honors Cal II. </p>

<p>My other son opted to wait until spring to take Honors Cal II.</p>

<p>I’m not sure if there are “set rules” about the difference between Honors Cal and non-honors. Since usually the best profs teach honors, I think those profs are given leeway as to how they are going to teach the honors version.</p>

<p>I know that for honors philosophy deductive logic there is one more exam - so they covered more material (same prof taught honors and non-honors). I know that for one of my kids’ honors physics, then used programming, while non-honors didn’t. </p>

<p>Math profs my kids have liked (I’m probably forgetting some).</p>

<p>Jim Gleason (you will always learn a ton if you take one of his courses, because he teaches the “why” and not just the “how”…his mission in life is to improve America’s math knowledge…seriously. My son took 2 math classes that he didn’t need just to take HIS classes.)
James Wang
David Halpern
Bruce Trace
Shan Zhao
Martin Evans
Layachi Hadji
Tan-Yu Lee</p>

<p>I’m sure there are other good math profs, but either my kids never had a class by them or I’ve forgotten their names.</p>

<p>^^^Paul Allen, awesome professor. Great Calculus I teacher. Even though son had AP credit for Calc I, he retook it with this prof. Best decision ever made.</p>

<p>^ that said, after much debate DS used his AP Calc credit and moved on to Calc 2, Shan Zhao, non-honors since it wasn’t offered in the fall. Good decision for him :)</p>

<p>^^^This is definitely an individual decision. If you did great in math in high school, had great teachers, understood the concepts, you would probably feel comfortable taking AP credit for math. If you did not have that experience, it might be better for you to start out with a good teacher for your foundation classes in engineering, as you’ll be dealing with these concepts a lot during your college career. Since you don’t deal a lot in American History in engineering, for example, I’d take the AP credit, whether you did poorly in it in high school or not. I should add the caveat, when I say “poorly”, I mean a B or C, not failing. Son has friends that did poorly in AP History, yet got a 5 on the AP test, and took the credit. Hopefully, that will not affect their ability to be good engineers.</p>