Calling all Greek parents!

<p>Would you be willing to ask your greek children if they were told not to attend the protest today and/or even discuss this issue? I just read a few things as will as the following news report quote but hoping they must be isolated incidences. Right? If you are too scared for your child’s safety you could post anon to be safe. I can’t believe in 2013 I even have to consider this. Kind of in a shock state I guess and hoping you all can convince me I am over reacting.</p>

<p>“Yardena Wolf of Corvallis, Ore., a 19-year-old sophomore at the University of Alabama, said she is still a member of her all-white sorority, Alpha Omicron Pi. But she moved out of the sorority house after facing criticism on social media for breaking sorority policy by speaking publicly about the decision to not offer membership to black pledges.”</p>

<p>I think you’re overreacting.
Ask your child, but also ask more questions of people who actually know what’s going on. There’s a WHOLE lot of misinformation out there, and it keeps getting repeated.</p>

<p>I believe the university asked students not to talk to the media in an effort to curb that misinformation…but I don’t really know. I’m not there, and I’m not an adviser, and I haven’t talked to a student or an adviser.</p>

<p>Mine did not know about it, so she told me, till this morning. She did say last week that the house had told them to not talk to the media. That is understandable. As I posted in another thread on this subject, in this day and age with wrong information on someone at your fingertips, best to stay quiet. These are the same kids that have heard us parents, teachers and school administrators to tell them to be very mindful of what they post on FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc as the schools and future employers are watching and checking. They have been told they could lose out on a future job if they have the wrong thing out there in cyber space. </p>

<p>Then, as Souhtlander has pointed out, there would be way too much misinformation if everyone was talking to the media about what THEY thought was going on. Best to be quiet and take care of business and let the ones that have the legal teams behind them be the ones doing the talking. As a business owner, if something were to happen to put a media spotlight on us, I’d let my attorney handled it so they could choose their words more carefully and I’d have too much passion in the whole situation and could possibly say the wrong thing.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Can you give me some examples of misinformation?</p>

<p>I asked my pledge son, he has been given no instructions by his fraternity, no discouragement from going to the today’s rally.</p>

<p>mine has told me that many are spreading a lot of misinformation, too. she has a close friend who was in the meeting on sunday and is REALLY in the know, so she knows the real scoop on what is going on. she hears plenty of other stories that people are passing around … they don’t know what they are talking about.</p>

<p>D just texted me, she was approached by the media. She just said “no comment”</p>

<p>Misinformation could come from anyone. How does the media know if a person they approach is in a sorority or not and asks them about the situation. Someone on the outside may not know squat about any of the whole Greek organizations. I barely know what we had to do for rush and a little bit of what’s going on now. I’m in no position to offer up information that could be taken as the gospel by outsiders hearing/reading my comments.</p>

<p>“Yardena Wolf of Corvallis, Ore., a 19-year-old sophomore at the University of Alabama, said she is still a member of her all-white sorority, Alpha Omicron Pi. But she moved out of the sorority house after facing criticism on social media for breaking sorority policy by speaking publicly about the decision to not offer membership to black pledges.”

[/QUOTE]
</p>

<p>Her “sisters” were too cowardly to criticize her in person?</p>

<p>if she was tweeting about it, then it is only natural for her sisters to respond to her on twitter.</p>

<p>Did it say her sorority sisters criticized her? Or are you just assuming that? Were you there or did you read that in the media?
There have already been numerous misstatements in the media about what COB is, what happens, what total is…I’m just saying: don’t assume what you read or hear is correct unless you see the person saying it.</p>

<p>And I hate to have to write that since I am a retired journalist.</p>

<p>Southlander, I was just commenting on what I read in this thread.</p>

<ol>
<li>Sorority girl speaks out sorority on racism.</li>
<li>Sorority girl is criticized on social media for breaking sorority policy of speaking publicly.</li>
<li>Sorority girl moves out of sorority.</li>
</ol>

<p>Maybe my logic is faulty, but these points indicated to me that she was being criticized by her sorority sisters. Am I misinterpreting what was written here?</p>

<p>If there are misstatements, and I don’t know if there are or not, more transparency would reduce them. That’s what the group today was calling for.</p>