Housing Question

<p>Hi! I’m going to be headed to the University of Alabama in the fall as a freshman. :slight_smile:
Me and three other girls in my town all want to room together, but we’re not quite sure how the process works. I’m the only one in the Honors College. If I go ahead and put myself in an Honors dorm when the Honors Housing opens just to ensure I have a space if it doesn’t work out, can I change my room later to regular housing with them? </p>

<p>Also, if we all signed up for housing at different dates, but I pick first can I still pull them enter the room using their housing codes?
And, since hopefully I’ll have a scholarship for the dorms and will be living there all four years (they might not), is it easy to make sure I will get a super suite each year, even as an upperclassman? I understand that if you don’t live in Honors the first semester, you can’t any other time. </p>

<p>Thanks so much!</p>

<p>Hi zgrace, congratulations on your successes thus far. I am not sure you can pull your (non-honors) friends into a supper suite that is designated as “Honors”. I suggest you contact the Housing Department for clarification. My son is a third year NMF student that has remained in “Honors” designated suites and always took the luck of the draw when it came to roommate selection. As an upper-classman, he has tried to get his non-honors friend into his suite. Even though both are varsity athletes, the computer program still would not allow the non-honors student to select a honors room. My son could have selected a non-honors room but would then forfeit getting back into a honors room in the future. That was a risk he did not want to take. </p>

<p>I may be wrong but I think there are non honors super suites available. You have to decide what is more important to YOU! Even the BEST of FRIENDS in HS turn out not to be the best roommates. You might try to select a room in Ridgecrest Honors tower and have your friends select a block of rooms in the non-honors Ridgecrest tower. It will still be convenient to meet up for meals and activities. </p>

<p>In my son’s case, he does not spend much time in his dorm. That may be because he is very busy with Research, Athletics, extra curricular activities. There is nothing worse than not feeling comfortable in our own dorm (supper suite). Discuss the pros and cons with your parents first before you decide if it is even worth discussing the room selection with your friends.<br>
IMO: spread your wings and seek new roommates in Honors. You have the opportunity to make lasting friendships with three people who you can introduce your HS friends to. More is better when it comes to friends! : )
Roll Tide Roll!</p>

<p>Remember, if you decline the honors housing your freshman year, you can’t ever live in honors housing.</p>

<p>Momof3boyz is right, figure out what is best for you in the long term. Good luck and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>IMHO a super suite is a super suite. The “honors” ones are no better or nicer than the non honors ones. The only difference is whether your roommates will be in honors classes or regular classes. </p>

<p>If living with people that take honors classes is a big deal to you then you’ll need to select an honors room and live apart from your friends. If you all want to live together you’ll have to sacrifice and live with the academic riff raff in a non honors dorm. Oh the horror :-)</p>

<p>wonder if they have less people pulling fire alarms in honors vs nonhonors dorms.</p>

<p>my D has had 14 fire drills this year!!! (her dorm is mixed)</p>

<p>I heard that about a fire drill last night. I’m sure that is something that D would whine to me about :wink: and I’ve only heard about 1 so far this year (hope I’m not jinxing them!) but her dorm is all honors…</p>

<p>NJBama - I agree that a super suite is a super suite. I think the difference comes when recontracting for subsequent years. If a student with a housing scholarship plans to stay on campus, I would think that as an upperclassman they might want to be able to move in with other friends who are staying on campus. I imagine a large percentage of upperclassmen on campus are there because because of a housing scholarship. The vast majority of those kids are going to be in honors housing.</p>

<p>momofonly1,</p>

<p>That is a very valid point. And if the original poster isn’t sure her friends will be re-contracting then it’s certainly something she should consider. </p>

<p>I really don’t understand The University’s reasoning behind not letting kids get into honors housing if not in it originally. What difference should it make if someone lived in Ridgecrest East or West their freshman year. </p>

<p>From my understanding the honors college is open to all current students with a 3.3 GPA regardless of whether they were in honors upon admission. Why exclude these kids from living in honors housing?</p>

<p>

I don’t understand the relevance of your son having been a NMF student three years ago to this topic or your post. Why did you include this unrelated information?</p>

<p>NJ - I agree that the policy is a little odd. I think it is probably because there isn’t enough housing and the policy is one way to set some limits. </p>

<p>I’m sure the shortage is also why they don’t allow students in traditional dorms to move to suites the next year.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the responses! I hadn’t considered that most of the upperclassmen staying would also be in the Honors suites. I do want to stay with my best friend though; the other two girls are just kind of tagalongs. Does anyone with experience about the NMF scholarship know if that will pay for off-campus housing such as the Retreat as well?</p>

<p>Aglages…since the OP is a NMF and was asking for housing info, Momof3boyz was providing relevant info. I’m a little concerned about your rather impolite post. </p>

<p>MikeW…are there cameras to catch who is pulling fire alarms? If not, there should be! Has anyone asked?</p>

<p>I think if students knew that cameras would “see” who pulled fire alarms (and there were consequences for doing so), this kind of stuff would stop at colleges…It’s a common complaint at many schools.</p>

<p>NMF scholarship will NOT pay for The Retreat. However, currently, it will pay for The Bluff.</p>

<p>there are NOT cameras. i asked DD about this yesterday. they said it was some kind of invasion of privacy to install cameras, so they have not done so.</p>

<p>that was my thought too. find out who is doing it and make some tough consequences and the problem will stop.</p>

<p>and i agree that aglages post was kind of rude. i can see easily how that info is relevant!</p>

<p>

Don’t be…I’m sure you have enough other issues in your life.
1st - the OP didn’t state in her original post that she was a NMF.
2nd - how does being a NMF affect housing choices? Do NMF students receive special Honors housing that non-NMF students do not receive?</p>

<p>Gee, I thought the relevance of momof3boyz’ post was readily evident. zgrace indicated that she might be receiving a scholarship that awards her housing for four years and momof3boyz gave her an empathic response, indicating that her son has a scholarship (NMF) that also, as many on this forum know, awards housing for four years. She then went on to share his experience regarding attempts to pull non-honors friends into honors housing, which, it appeared, might have been a challenge facing zgrace. And, lo and behold, it turns out that zgrace is actually interested in info from those with NMF experience!</p>

<p>momof3boyz, I find your posts unfailingly helpful and relevant. Keep 'em coming.</p>

<p>*1st - the OP didn’t state in her original post that she was a NMF.
*</p>

<p>Uh, yes she kind of did… *And, since hopefully I’ll have a scholarship for the dorms * </p>

<p>That suggests that she is a NMSF, hopefully to be named a NMF and get the scholarship for the dorms.</p>

<p>And, yes, Bama “runs the numbers” and figures that NMFs will likely stay in on-campus housing all 4 years (at least most of them). Therefore, for planning purposes, Bama estimates how many frosh and total NMFs will be in the dorms to determine how many will “left over” for others.</p>

<p>

Kind of…“hopefully”?
So the only scholarships that can be used for housing at Alabama are NMF? Do some scholarships allow you to pick your roommates as the OP asked and therefor it is necessary to specify that your son was a NMF student and the rules might be different for the OP?
If NMF students stay in the same honors housing as non NMF students and the same roommate selection process applies equally to both…what bearing does being a NMF have on the OPs question about roommate selection?</p>

<p>Having a bad hair day Aglages? The other posters were very gentle in their responses. The Brooklyn in me wanted to respond but my wife tied my hands so I couldn’t use the key board. Kind of like the old joke of how do you gag an Italian (I am Italian). Answer: You tie his (or her) hands together! </p>

<p>Aglages, while it may not have been apparent to you at the time, the response of MO3B was relevant. Let’s not stifle the information that is being put on this forum by making the posters feel hesitant in offering their opinions and the experiences of their children. There are potential students and parents of students who constantly use this forum as a resource, even though they may never post on it. </p>

<p>And please, let’s keep it civil, as these future students could get the wrong impression of our University!</p>

<p>you go, bill! : )</p>

<p>I am new to posting, but I have read the Alabama forums extensively since my child has been looking at Alabama. I always find that the more information someone includes in their reply, the better. As far as I know, there are not many scholarships that cover room except the Fellowes and the National Merit Finalist. At least, that is what my research indicates. I really appreciate all those who have “been there” giving out information to others. Some may feel that it is bragging when others mention the honors and scholarships of their children. I find it helpful because I may not know of that scholarship. People read these posts from several years back to find out approximate deadline dates and scholarship options. Please post away about ANYTHING you feel is relavent because even though it may not help the OP, it Might help them or someone else a few years from now.</p>