Can a family's dog visit in the dorms?

<p>We are planning our visits this fall and we would love to bring our four legged family member up to see our d one weekend. He is going to miss her so much! We found a dog friendly hotel, but I wasn't sure how it worked in the dorms. Can we take him into her room for a brief period while we are there? I searched the VT website and couldn't find anything, and will have her ask her RA next week if no one on cc has done this before and knows the policy. Thanks!</p>

<p>Never mind–found our answer…For anyone interested, neither students nor guests can bring pets into the dorms. Oh well, we’ll make it work somehow- she can just visit us more in the hotel if she wants to see her puppy!</p>

<p>I remember one of my friend’s parents bringing a dog into the dorms during Spring Game of last year. Nobody cared. </p>

<p>If it’s a rule then okay, but I wouldn’t worry too much if you decided to bring the puppy in anyways.</p>

<p>There’s like a 95 percent chance people go “oh a puppy!” and like a 5% chance an RA says you can’t take the dog in and you just plead ignorance.</p>

<p>Yeah, as long as he’s well-behaved and there’s no risk to others (which I’m sure is the case here), I’d go with the “better to ask forgiveness than permission” route.</p>

<p>I would expect that a visit to the dorm could turnout to be taxing for the dog. A lot of strangers gathering around the animal, a lot of noise and commotion.</p>

<p>I’ll be honest. I don’t think it’s a good idea because I wouldn’t really want anybody’s dog in my dorm–and I’d resent it like crazy if somebody brought yheir dog in–but if I cared about the dog, I would be worried that it was unkind to the dog, too.</p>

<p>The dog isn’t going to be staying the night or anything, from the OP it sounds like it’ll be a few minutes max while the parents see the dorm room. If your daughter wants to earn a couple considerate roommate points she can ask her roommate if she’s allergic.</p>

<p>I get that. </p>

<p>But I know from experience what happens if somebody brings a pet or a baby into a middle or high school. It can be pandemonium, and it can be impossible to get in and out in “just a few minutes.”</p>

<p>And, really, if it’s only going to be a few minutes, what’s the point? I understand Grandma might want to see the daughter’s dorm and room, but does the dog? I think the pet-friendly hotel is a much better venue. Also, as previously noted, not against the rules.</p>

<p>Thanks for all of your thoughts and replies. We have decided it isn’t such a great idea for several reasons. One, I wouldn’t want anyone to get offended and it is against the rules, and two, this little guy is a pistol and three, as much as she would love to see him (and he see her) I think our trip would be more about trying to figure out the logistics of where to put him while we eat, visit her, etc. to make it worthwhile. </p>

<p>Oh well, fall break isn’t too far off. I wonder if dogs get the Skype concept? :)</p>

<p>We tried Skype a few weeks ago with my old lab and my niece (who used to own her). Niece now lives down under and the dog hasn’t seen her in a few years. The dog freaked out, ran and hid. Your milage may vary, my dog has a few neuroses and this could just be one to add to the list. :)</p>