Can freshmen apply for First Street Towers?

<p>I'm currently applying for housing and First Street Towers looks good. I heard that it is only for upperclassmen? I'm finding a place that is single and has its own bathroom.</p>

<p>How about Purdue Village? Do they have singles with bathroom?</p>

<p>Thanks for the help!</p>

<p>-No. You have to be 19 and older to live there (basically upperclassmen) and I’m almost positive First Street Towers isn’t an option when you fill out your housing form. </p>

<p>-Purdue Village are apartments so you’ll have a roommate. Again, I don’t recommend living there. </p>

<p>Getting a single as a freshmen is pretty much impossible because upperclassmen have priority when choosing their rooms. And when filling out the housing form I think the only option you have is to get a double with a roommate.</p>

<p>On the seven choice list, the system allows me to list it as my first choice. Does that mean freshmen can apply for First Street Towers too? Just that chances are low.</p>

<p>How about Hillenbrand Hall? There’s a single/double layout. It’s a bit confusing tho. Does it mean a single bedroom but a shared bathroom?</p>

<p>Hillenbrand is suite style (mostly doubles) with a shared bathroom in the middle but is for upperclassmen only also and putting it as your first choices won’t make a difference since it’s already full for next year. There are also only about 10 (maybe 20?) singles or so in Hillenbrand and I can guarantee you they are all taken. And you can try to put First Street Towers on your list but it’s really not meant for freshmen students. Unless they change it but I don’t think they will.</p>

<p>Which housing would you recommend? Why is Purdue Village not recommended?</p>

<p>Do Hawkins have single with shower/bath? On the website it shows.</p>

<p>[University</a> Residences Rates](<a href=“404 Page Not Found | Purdue University Residences”>404 Page Not Found | Purdue University Residences)</p>

<p>There’s also 1 bedroom for 1 in Purdue Village…So i’m quite confused.</p>

<p>-Ah okay. Hawkins is also for upperclassmen, it even says on the website you posted- must be 20 years of age by August 21st. </p>

<p>-Purdue Village has 3 different “areas”- undergraduate, graduate, and then family housing. The 1 bedroom for 1 in Purdue Village is for graduate students and/or married students only. The only option for undergraduate students in Purdue Village is the 1 bedroom for 2.</p>

<p>I don’t recommend PV because it is old and needs to be renovated badly. There are much nicer dorms you can live in as a freshmen. I recommend Earhart, Shreve, Harrison, McCutcheon or Winsdor (Windsor is all women and mostly upperclassmen but freshmen still can apply for housing there). These are the more recently renovated dorms and have air conditioning.</p>

<p>how are the bathroom in the halls? and how many are there on one floor?</p>

<p>thanks for replying!</p>

<p>There are usually 2 community bathrooms per hallway/floor (one for each side). Some dorms have nice bathrooms and others are just okay. They get cleaned daily though so that’s a plus.</p>

<p>They don’t get cleaned in the weekends though. </p>

<p>Depending on when the new First Street Tower opens, it MAY be open to freshmen. I remember they had a tough time trying to fill in the rooms that they opened it to freshmen last year or two years ago… It’s a really small room I hear so I don’t think it’s worth it. </p>

<p>Be social your freshmen year since this is the year you will make a lot of friends, hopefully. Just be social yourself and you will be fine. </p>

<p>Cary surprisingly has a nice bathroom but small rooms if you’re a dude which I’m assuming from your username. I do agree with dixie’s recommendations on dorms. </p>

<p>If you want to live in an apartment, Hilltop is better because of location. The layout and amenities of PV and Hilltop are the same, PV is just further away. You get plenty of space there but it doesn’t look the greatest.</p>

<p>thanks for the contribution so far.</p>

<p>i’ve tried to search stalls and restaurants using the purdue’s map thing, but it doesn’t show much. where are the usual malls, shops and restaurants in purude? are they all walking distance from all halls/apartments?</p>

<p>Purdue’s campus map is only showing the campus… </p>

<p>The closest mall is in Lafayette on I-52 and it’s called the Tippecanoe Mall. It’s not the greatest mall and since I come from NJ where we have massive malls everywhere I have high standards. </p>

<p>There are a few local clothing shops in Chauncey area which is where a majority of restaurants are located as well. The Chauncey area is pretty much downtown West Lafayette. There are a few restaurants down by the Levee which is where the movie theater and B-dubs are located. Chauncey is walking distance from campus but a bit far from the dorms. The Levee is reachable by bus from the dorms since the Trolley services that area.</p>

<p>thanks jimgotkp!</p>

<p>can i rank my hall preference first, and if i do not get my top choice…can i change to off campus housing?</p>

<p>No cause you already agreed to the housing contract prior to doing the housing ranking. Unless you’re willing to pay the ~$4K to break the contract…</p>