Can I apply into a UC college if I have a "F" grade on one of my courses?

<p>Hey everyone. My freshamn year, I took Mandarin 1 and I failed with an F my first semester. I transferred into another school the next semester and continued that class, I got an A on it. Weird right? F in another school but an A on this school? Anyways, would I still be eligible to apply to an uc college? will I need to retake that class I failed in? I remember my counselor telling me I need to have c’s and higher. I am a junior btw. By senior year, I will complete all my a-g requirements. </p>

<p>I am a junior at the moment, i’m taking ap lang, ap us history, and honors chemistry. ( the ap classes are soooo much work…) </p>

<p>I am going to apply to uc santa cruz, do you think they will accept me if I drop my ap’s? (not take any ap classes through high school) </p>

<p>I am on my 2nd year of spanish right now, will be taking spanish 3 next yr. got a c first sem of spanish, b 2nd sem. will be getting a’s this yr.</p>

<p>I am on my second year of spanish btw ( spanish 2) will be taking spanish 3 senior yr</p>

<p>The F should not matter since you will have fulfilled your language requirement with the spanish. Now as for the AP classes you can get into college without them but it is harder. What is your GPA right now?</p>

<p>freshman classes:
english 9 reg: d, a (retook this summer got an a)
Pe:b,a
world history: d, a (retook this summer got an a)
Mandarin: a, f ( should i improve it?)
drama: b, a
algebra 1: c, a</p>

<p>sophomore classes:
english 10 hon:b,b
spanish 1: c,b
geometry: d, c ( will be retaking it)
biology hon: b,c
pe:a,a
art:c,b</p>

<p>currently a junior
my classes currently are apush, ap lang, algebra 2, spanish 2, virtual enterprise, and chemistry hon. </p>

<p>I will be retaking the d i got in geometry this summer or maybe night school if i can
also will be retaking the mandarin class ( if it is worth it) if colleges won’t look at it i will use my time taking something more useful. </p>

<p>gpa unweighted: as of now, a 3.0 :’( ( would be 3.17 if i retake the mandarin class i got an f in)</p>

<p>gpa weighted: 3.08 </p>

<p>by the end of this year, gpa will be 3.53 weighted and 3.39 unweighted :)</p>

<p>The UC GPA calculation does not include grades from freshman year.</p>

<p>so if uc doesnt include the grades from freshman year, retaking all the d’s i have gotten that year was a waste of time?!!!
and if they don’t count the grades from freshman year, I could have done terribly on them and they would not count it against me!?!</p>

<p>D or F grades disqualify the course from counting toward a-g subject requirements (except in a few cases where a higher level course can validate the missing or failed lower level course). Those received after 9th grade will count toward the UC/CSU GPA, and all will be visible to UC holistic admissions readings.</p>

<p>I have a question: so if you’re just basically “sliding under the radar” by pulling b’s and c’s; how will you be able to adapt to a faster and harder pace of schooling at the college level? I’m not talking UC’s, I’m talking Community College level. </p>

<p>“The AP classes are soo much work.” (These are just barely the level of freshman college assignments, or, did you not understand that?) </p>

<p>I gotta tell you and be honest, that unless you start pulling more A’s in your classes, you will probably have to attend a Community College to bring your scores up to the level of your peers. </p>

<p>OP, a major factor at UCSC admissions is improvement from sophomore to junior year, so if you pulled off a major improvement this year - As and Bs with mostly As, you would have a chance. The importance of the AP classes to UC GPA is the extra point you get with an A, B or C, so it’s doubtful you’d get your GPA high enough without them. They can be a lot of work , but I agree with aunt bea - if you are truly finding AP classes too much you should not be going at this point to a UC. Take the opportunity to go to a CC, figure out where your strengths are, and transfer. </p>