Can I double major in the college of letters and sciences?

Hi,

Would it be possible to double major in philosophy and political science? I’ve already been accepted to the college of L&S.

Thanks in advance!

I believe so. Found this which is a bit dated but may still be applicable:

https://kb.wisc.edu/ls/page.php?id=25408

My D17 is looking into this possibility as well. Hers is a bit more complicated as she’s not exactly sure whether she’ll stay in L&S or try to transfer to the school of Business.

Good luck!

Yes, it is quite do-able to double major within a single College, since you are only having to meet gen ed requirements for a single College. My kid is a double major in both poli sci and history and has completed requirements for Honors in the Liberal Arts. It doesn’t hurt to see what kind of distribution requirements a kid can knock out with AP scores – my kid is NOT a science kid, had no AP science credits coming in (too drained to self-study spring of senior year), and had to take 12 science credits at UW. He learned a lot, and there are some great options for non-science kid (biological anthro, bugs etc., but there were some semesters he would have been just as happy to skip the Sciences requirement and take another course more in his area of interest.

With all the changes to Common App etc this year, I don’t know if applications to Honors program in L&S will be the same but – make sure your student READS ALL EMAIL from UW! The invitation to apply to L&S Honors is sent to all admitted students, it is not reserved only for the highest stat kids. In the past, the deadline for the L&S Honors app was tied to the date of your own specific invitation, with the app due roughly 3 weeks later. If a student doesn’t check email, they might miss the invitation and due date. Of course, students can also apply once on campus, though being in Honors already for summer advising and registration can be useful. The application itself is not burdensome, some typical demographic and EC questions and then – at least several years ago – 3 thought-provoking short essays. My kid has had a great experience in his Honors classes, and has benefitted from completing the requirements to graduate with Honors in the Liberal Arts. As a parent, I really like that Honors in L&S is not some “separate” existence at UW – no one really knows who is in Honors, or doing Honors. Kids pursue because of intellectual interest, not for a bauble on their resume.

I’m going to double major in L&S w/ CS + Economics w/ Mathematical focus

Definitely. You should map out a tentative plan of when to get needed courses once you are at UW. There may be some that meet at the same times , are only offered a given semester et al for any double major combination. Remember, so much will become clearer after SOAR and once you are on campus. Don’t waste time worrying now- enjoy the rest of your HS senior year!