Double Majoring at Madison?

I plan to double major in philosophy and computer science. Do you think this would be feasible while graduating in four years? Do you need a lot of credits to get a computer science major? What about a philosophy major? How extensive are the gen eds? I have quite a few AP credits and would be willing to take summer classes.

I know there can be no precise answer to this question, but I appreciate your help.

CS is within the College of Letters and Science, same as Philosophy, so you are only meeting gen eds for one College – which makes it doable. Link for L&S requirements is here: https://lsaas.wiscweb.wisc.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/392/2017/11/BABS-Requirements-2017.5.8.pdf

Basic gen ed requirements are Comm A and Comm B (Comm A you can test out of through placement exam or standardized testing results); Quant A and Quant B (can test out of both through placement or standardized testing); foreign language (high school 4 years may complete requirement, but depends); 12 credits, though classes or AP/IB scores, in Humanities, Social Science and Natural/Physical Science (with at least 3 credits each in Bio and Physical Science); plus one Ethnic Studies class. Major requirements for each department can be found on the department webpages.

If you have the ability to test in AP or self-study for some AP this spring that could knock out some of the gen eds, that would be worth it. My own non science kid had to take 4 science classes to complete his 12 credits in Sciences – he was not a happy camper about that, but in retrospect would say he enjoyed those classes. I’m sure he would have appreciated coming in with at least 3 credits in some of those required areas.

Why not minor in philosophy?

For what it’s worth, many kids double major within a single College at UW, it is not hard. For comparison, my kid was a double major in a Humanities and Social Science major and completed the Honors program requirements to graduate with Honors in the Liberal Arts. He took one summer class at our local school to knock off a gen ed, but other than that, did all his work taking a regular courseload during the semester.

@NASA2014 There are no minors at UW-Madison.

Madison85, that is completely false. Where did you get that from?

UW College of Letters and Science does not have minors. It does have certificate programs – which are different than minors, they may be in interdiscirplinary or smaller programs, or they may be available in some departments. http://guide.wisc.edu/undergraduate/letters-science/#degreesmajorscertificatestext

And, for the record, @Madison85, @wis75, and myself are alum/parents of alum (and for @wis75 – both), and have a lot of knowledge and experience regarding UW. So if someone with that much knowledge provides information in response to a question, it might be worthwhile to research it before claiming the person is wrong.

@philosophered UW-Madison does not offer minors. There are some certificates but no ‘minors’. No one ‘minors’ in anything at UW-Madison.

@Midwestmomofboys Thanks!

I am an alum, parent of 2 alums, parent of a current undergrad, spouse of an alum, sibling of 4 alums, child of an alum. :slight_smile:

Go Badgers!

@Madison85 I knew you were a pro, but wow!

Repeat- UW has comprehensive majors and NO minors. They started some certificates several years ago but these are not minors. Should be easy to do both CS and philosophy majors. Son was a math major who took several philosophy courses (and CS- later added that major) and it seems easy enough to do both.

Check the UW website for degree requirements. Your SOAR advisor can be helpful as well in planning.

Midwest mom has me beat by a lot.

To add to the very good information others have offered. You can see how many credits you will received from AP here: https://www.admissions.wisc.edu/apply/transfer/apib.php

You can also use Guide to look at major requirements for both Computer Science and Philosophy. You’ll want to determine if you wish to get a BA or a BS. The minimum credits for any degree is 120, but you also have to fulfill all degree requirement, so some students go over 120. I’ve seen students come in with enough AP credits to triple major and graduate in 4 years, but this is with some overlap in course work for the three majors. Many students double major and complete their degree in 4 years. Seeing your academic advisors early to plan out your courses will help you to stay on track.

Good luck