Is it hard to double major?

<p>How hard would it be to double major in Anthropology and Journalism ( of course that is if one gets into the J school first) ? </p>

<p>Realistically speaking could you still graduate in four years?</p>

<p>They're both in L&S but they seem to have different requirements. :/</p>

<p>I think it’s doable for a double major if both are in L & S, but much more difficult if the majors are in different colleges.</p>

<p>Parent of sophomore here – we have heard generally that it is more manageable to double major within a single college. To double major across separate colleges, say college of engineering and college of letters & science, is very difficult because you are meeting degree requirements for two separate schools. </p>

<p>Within Letters & Science, a BA student needs to have 12 credits in humanities, social sciences, and sciences, plus 2 courses in quantitative reasoning and 2 courses in communication. For a typical non-math/science kid, those science and quant reasoning credits are pesky. If my son could do it over again, he would have made himself self-study for an AP science and math to get some credits out of the way. With the AP and IB credits he came in with, plus freshman year classes, he has met his humanities and social science 12 credit requirements. But fulfilling the science credit requirements will take 2 years. Painful for someone who doesn’t love science. </p>

<p>A long way of saying, I would encourage incoming students to use test scores in high school to knock off some breadth etc. requirements that may be outside your areas of interest/strength. That way, you will have more flexibility coming in. </p>

<p>Good luck, UW is truly an amazing school.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice :slight_smile: looking forward to joining the badger community next year!</p>