Can I get into TAMU with a 23 ACT or a 1490 SAT (old)?

Neither of my scores meet the requirements for automatic acceptance, and I am retaking the ACT in October. If my scores don’t improve, would I still have a shot at getting in?

I am now in the top 20% of my class, my GPA is a 94.8 (3.9 on 4.0 scale), next year I will be in all AP and Honors classes. I am on varsity debate and placed second in district last year, academic decathlon, varsity choir (we get sweepstakes every year in UIL), and I work on top of all of that.

My reading score was a 30 on the ACT, and then my math was an 18 (it was my first time taking it). On the SATs, my reading was in the 600’s and my math was in the 400’s. I have always been like that, though. On every standardized test I take, math always is super low and my reading is extremely high. In school, the only B’s and C’s I have ever gotten were in my math classes. I’m just not good at it. I’m wanting to go to the school of liberal arts, so I understand that my math scores should not affect me so much, however TAMU recruiters have also told me that the office of admissions does not take your intended major into consideration if you’re a review admit.

Do I still have a chance at TAMU based on my scores, or do I need to be looking at some more back up schools? Thanks!

Admissions to college station may be a reach for you with those scores. That said, once you apply with your entire package (application, transcripts, essays, extra curriculars, etc), you will never know unless you apply.
If you are not accepted to College Station directly as a full admit, there are other avenues you may be offered. Personally, I think the Blinn Team approach is terrific for a lot of students for their entry into college. 1st semester of freshman year can be overwhelming and add to that, such a large and competitive university, Blinn helps so much with that transition.

You might be offered Blinn Team . http://blinnteam.tamu.edu/

You might be offered Gateway to Success. https://tap.tamu.edu/gateway/default.aspx

Order your high school transcripts now so they can be sent to TAMU Aug 1 (find out how your school sends them. Do they send it electronically or do you have to pick them up/have them mailed to you and then you are responsible for mailing them in - which is how our high school does it). Be ready to apply August 1 and send in the application. You can upload the other stuff as you get it but try to get it in asap because they won’t look at your package until it is complete.
Good Luck.

Thanks a lot!

Again, I am going to retake the ACT and see where it puts me. It’s frustrating because it is just math that kills me every time! :stuck_out_tongue:

@spinthatrecord I assume you are in state, yes? Do apply to TAMU. A girlfriend of mine’s son comes from a long line of Aggies and he was accepted to Blinn Team for fall. He gets to live on campus and have access to everything A&M offers, taking just one class at the main campus. If you get Blinn Team and not full admissions (not saying that will happen) not only will you save money that first year, but could get that math you need out of the way at Blinn (not that it’s a blow off but maybe a smaller class) and then be in a great place to transfer fully after the first year.

Do look at other schools, too. Give yourself some options to choose from. There are some great schools in Texas. I have friends with kids at Tarleton, Texas State, Tech, UT Tyler, UTA, as well as 2 kids of my own at other Texas colleges, and a host of others schools and they are loving it. One of the biggest things to having a great college experience where ever you are is getting involved in something. Have a purpose other than classes and going to your dorm room. Plug in and have a great time wherever you end up.

I got my ACT math score up by using this website daily
https://www.number2.com/exams/act/daily/question/index.cfm?s=0

Just a math problem every day taken from past ACT test. it Isn’t affliated with the ACT but it helps you sharpen your algebra / geometry / trig skills really quickly.

Thanks to the both of y’all! (: