Can you transfer into Nursing School after 2 years undergrad?

<p>I would love to go to Hunter College (CUNY) but I heard that one is not accepted into the nursing school until 2 years of undergrad, THEN you apply for the nursing school. So I guess it's not direct entry. And I also heard that it's super competitive and there is only 100 spots. This is super risky because what if I don't make it ya know? Then I have to wait a whole year to re-apply. :(</p>

<p>So I was wondering if one could start transfering into say, NYU's nursing program at the beginning of the 2nd year at CUNY as long as you've taken the required classes in the pre-nursing route (chemistry, anatomy etc etc) ?</p>

<p>Probably the smart thing to do is to apply for some transfers to other colleges in addition to applying to the nursing major at your own college. There are some colleges that only offer nursing the last 2 years, particularly below the Mason-Dixon Line. </p>

<p>There is at least one school that is a 2 year long program that only accepts transfers from other colleges - Thomas Jefferson University in Phila.</p>

<p>If a student doesn’t get into the nursing program at their own college and doesn’t want to transfer, the next option is to put yourself in a good position to quickly complete a nursing program for people with non-nursing bachelors degrees. The more required classes you can complete at your first college, the quicker you can complete the second program. Many of those programs are accelerated.</p>

<p>If you are interested in going to college in NYC there are relatively few direct entry 4 year BSN Nursing Programs available. Besides NYU the only other one I am aware of is at Pace. Perhaps there may be some others. In any event the odds of being able to transfer into any high quality direct entry Nursing program are very small as the dropout rate is usually very small and the number of available transfer slots are therefore very few (and other students at the same school are usually given preference for any available slots). I know of one highly rated direct entry Nursing Program (not in NYC) that only took 3-4 transfer students per year and that the compettion from students at the same college was so intense that some students with GPAs of 4.0 were not accepted for transfer). I feel that your odds of being able to gain transfer admission to a direct entry Nursing program would probably be less than if you were going to apply and take your chances of being accepted to the third year program at Hunter College after completing the first two years there. This is just my perspective. Others might feel differently. Best wishes to you.</p>