Capstone Scholars Day 2013....Roll Call! :)

<p>Thank you Happytraveler for the schedule. I didn’t think D2 had gotten any other emails after the confirmation when she registered, and I was right. In that email it says “Further info will be mailed to you concerning event details.” I don’t believe we’ve gotten any mail, but she registered late. Is she missing anything?</p>

<p>Like RobD, we haven’t received anything else in the mail. DS did get an email dated Jan 15th saying that we should check in at the Bryant Conf. Center.</p>

<p>I was pleased to see the schedule posted on the website yesterday, now I have a clearer idea of what to expect.</p>

<p>Ugh Flight was just canceled. Not a great way to start the trip</p>

<p>Sent from my ADR6300 using CC</p>

<p>^ Bummer. Hope you can get on another flight.</p>

<p>I emailed Allison at the honors college about touring campus and what to see since all of the official tours are booked for tomorrow. This was her response: </p>

<p>" I’m so excited you’ll be visiting campus this weekend for Capstone Scholars Day. Because all students invited to campus are Honors eligible, Saturday will have a mostly academic focus. I would encourage you to use your time Friday to explore student life on campus. You may want to visit the Ferguson Center, our student union, as well as visit our Quad which is always a popular place to hang out on Friday afternoons when the weather is nice. We will also have our first home gymnastics meet of the season Friday night. WE are the defending National Champions in gymnastics (and women’s softball and women’s golf :)) as well, and we will be competing against LSU, so it should be a great matchup."</p>

<p>I feel like those things are very general and there is more I should see on campus, since it is my first visit and only visit for a while. Does anyone have suggestions of some must sees that won’t be included in the Capstone activities. Because of the parade, I don’t think I’ll be able to get around campus much Saturday, but I have all day tomorrow to get the full UA experience! :)</p>

<p>@Faith - If you can get into a dorm on Friday, I would suggest that. The best aspects of the campus from our summer visit was walking the Quad, eating in Ferg and visiting the Sup store. </p>

<p>I’d stop in the library and and the Bear Bryant museum. Drive past the Greek Houses - They are gorgeous on the outside.</p>

<p>===============
DS travel issues - They got a morning flight down to Georgia and figured they’ll just drive. Great for them; meanwhile I’m going crazy getting them a hotel at the Philly airport tonight and trying to find a way to have a car rental that isn’t $600. You know, the little details they aren’t thinking about. Oh, and DH forget his AAA card, and his hotel points card.</p>

<p>The drive’s not bad from Georgia. It should only be a 3 1/2- 4 hour drive depending on the speed of the car.:slight_smile: Plus you have the extra hour from the time zone change!</p>

<p>Crimson Tide Men’s Hoops Game on Saturday at 5:00pm, Coleman Coliseum
You will also get to see the student section, UA Pep Band, Cheerleaders, and my DS favorite the Crimson Cabaret…Fans number about 14,000 and great atmosphere for a Saturday Night…You may see some football players and recruits there, too. Coach Anthony Grant is building something special here…Roll Tide</p>

<p>Longhaul, you should be able to get a good priced car rental from carrentals.com or priceline</p>

<p>Faith - perhaps you’d like to see a real life dorm room of 4 male engineering students - but that may scare you off UA altogether</p>

<p>Those are great suggestions! Thanks! Class2012Mom, that might be a bit overwhelming for my first trip! Haha.</p>

<p>FaithLoveHope - as to the real life engineering dorm, if you get bored, just head on over there and play “Name That Smell!”</p>

<p>(Then PM me, because I really need to know what cleaning products to bring in February. :slight_smile: )</p>

<p>Travel rearranging done.</p>

<p>They’ll rent from Atlanta in the morning and then drop off at Birmingham Airport - over $100 for 6 hour rental. Then they’ll go to rental car company #2 - yup, I even had to go to a different company – and pick up a car to drive to Tuscaloosa and back to B’ham on Sunday.</p>

<p>Wow, they really kill you on 1 way rentals! No one had good prices on the one way.</p>

<p>After all this, no matter what if they have to lie to me, they better tell me it was the best Dad/Son bonding weekend ever. </p>

<p>They are going to the B’ball game Sat. I had to look up Crimson Cabaret. That should definitely be worth the male bonding. DS was more worried about finding time for BBQ then he was about missing the class sit in he had scheduled.</p>

<p>wow I’m surprised they weren’t able to rent in Atlanta and used the car and return it to birmingham on Sun. We’ve done a number pick up at one airport and drop off days later at another. Must be the time of year…</p>

<p>I’ll post for my daughter:</p>

<p>Major: Chemistry (Plans on attending grad school for Physical Therapy)</p>

<p>Arriving: Friday night</p>

<p>She will be attending with her dad, and this will be her first visit to the campus. I’m worried there will not be enough time to see everything she needs or wants to see, but we live in IL and schedules are tough.</p>

<p>I hope she gets to meet some of you and/or your sons and daughters. Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>@Kim - I’m sure your D she won’t do/see everything she wants, but she’ll still enjoy it. The best part of my quick summer visit was meeting the great folks in the Honors College (mainly Dr. Sharpe and Allison), Dr. Karr (Engineering) and seeing the layout of the school. </p>

<p>In my opinion, your D will get to meet the great folks of the Honors College and the perspective great folks. And she will see the beautiful campus. Total win on the visit.</p>

<p>Then, she’ll need to attend to do all the other things she’ll want to do.</p>

<p>So we got in today, a pain to get from Birmingham to Tuscaloosa (and expensive nonetheless). If anyone is looking for a place to eat, there is a great sports bar like restaurant called Baumhower’s near the Hampton Inn on Harper Lee Drive. On another note, I went on a tour of the engineering facilities today and a smaller tour of the campus with a student which was very informative and if you’re around long enough I’d highly recommend trying to do it while you’re visiting.</p>

<p>DS will be working as an A & S Ambassador this weekend. He is a junior double majoring in Political Science and Finance and doing the University Scholar’s program for his master’s in Finance in 4 years. If any of your children are interested in information from him, send me a PM and I’ll give you his name and contact! Roll Tide Yall!</p>

<p>I for one, would love some accounts of the day…</p>

<p>When my husband called this morning he said he thought there were about 300 people where he was. They were sitting in the front row, waiting it to start and the kids all got a free tee-shirt!</p>

<p>@TXArchitect I can give you my account based on what I experienced as an engineering student.
Registration started at 7:30 am, you’d check in, get a name tag, the students got a free long sleeve shirt, and then there was welcoming remarks at 8:45. At 9:00, Dr. Shane Sharpe, Dean, Honors College, spoke to us for about 45 minutes and answered questions and at 9:45, several students came in for a panel and answered any questions we had. After that, the students and parent separated for lunch where the students went to Bryant-Denny Stadium and the parents/guardians stayed at the Bryant Conference Center. Lunch was about an hour or so and then depending on which college the student was planning on going to there was a “college experience.” As an engineering student, I was placed into a group, separated by alphabetical order since we were the largest, and we headed over to an engineering building and were given several supplies and were asked to make a catapult that was self-supporting and you had to fire off with one hand. After that, the bus took us back to Bryant Conference Center to reconvene with our families. The parents/guardians had the opportunities to go to two informational panels while the students were out doing their activities. Afterwards, the parade was at 1:30 and you could stay there, or do a self-guided tour of the Rec Center or a Residential Hall. We stayed for the parade since we had already seen both. The only thing that bothered me was that the food courts on campus were mostly closed making finding another food source difficult on campus because online it lists that they are closed on Saturday/Sunday (which I’m very much hoping isn’t true because I am enrolling in fall).
Hope that was helpful! If you’ve any questions about specifics involving what the parents/guardians did I can ask to find out.</p>