Capstone Scholars Day

<p>Can anyone share their experiences attending Capstone Scholars Day? Invite arrived today. We read the brief description on the website. Do kids and parents attend the same events? Sounds like the attendees will all be students who qualified for the honors program. </p>

<p>(Interesting to note that UA requests that the RSVP card be postmarked no later than Dec. 14 – the day before many students will receive their “Early Decisions.” These kids, if they get acceptances, will thus be bound to other schools. So it seems like kind of funny timing. My son did not want to be bound to anything in Dec., but I imagine that there are plenty of NMSF kids who did go this route.)</p>

<p>Anyway – sorry for the digression – any insights or impressions about the value of Capstone Scholars Day, as opposed to arranging our own visit another time, would be much appreciated. Thanks!</p>

<p>You can always RSVP “yes” and then change your mind. </p>

<p>I doubt Bama even considers what other schools’ ED dates are. </p>

<p>I went to CSDay last year with my nephew. If you’ve never been to the campus, I don’t recommend going then. There isn’t a full campus tour (just a very minor walk across the campus) and no personalization…such as meeting with faculty for a particular major.</p>

<p>Some arrive on Thursday night and then tour on Friday and then do CSDay on Saturday.</p>

<p>I spoke with Allison in the Honors College about last year. Last year, the HC was overwhelmed with the number of people that showed up a day early (many without any prior notice). She plans on preparing for this. </p>

<p>However, I want to also contact Admissions to see if they have any special plans for that “day before” CSDay.</p>

<p>I think you will get a variety of answers as to which day to attend UA for a visit.</p>

<p>I can share our own experience. We made Capstone Honors Day our first visit to campus and we thoroughly enjoyed the “Welcome” we received. It was a very vibrant presentation and the speakers were excellent. We did stay in the area for several days which allowed us to see the campus on several occasions. We had time to visit Nott Hall and meet the wonderful Honors staff, tour the grounds and get to know Tuscaloosa as well. However, it is a very busy day and although you will get to meet many people, you may not get as much personal attention as you might want. Try to stay one day extra and make some appointments for personal tours on that extra day.</p>

<p>I met many parents and my son met many students that we have kept in touch with. We found Capstone Honors Day to be a rewarding experience and a good introduction to the college.</p>

<p>You will have to take into consideration your student’s high school schedule, your work schedule, distance from campus, costs and other factors to see if it is personally worthwhile.</p>

<p>Robotbldmom said it very well. My D and I enjoyed our visit to Capstone Scholars Day last year. We were treated very well along with everyone else.</p>

<p>The students and parents had some welcome-type meetings together. The students were then split up into groups of interest. The parents had their own meetings. It’s very well planned out. We were fed a nice box lunch. I remember having a great conversation with a mom. She gave her opinions on the other Alabama college.</p>

<p>My D met a young man there that has become one of her best friends in college. Who knew? </p>

<p>It was my D and my second visit to UA. We both enjoyed the visit very much. I will try to find the old agendas for you. </p>

<p>Have you visited before? Is this the only chance you have to visit? Is your child hoping for CBHP or UFE? What state are you from? This info could help us help you decide. (If you want to share).</p>

<p>I first visited UA on the weekend of Capstone Scholars Day. While it was 12-18 degrees outside and I was wearing shorts since I wanted to be comfortable on the redeye flight I took to get to UA, it was still an enjoyable experience meeting with some deans on Friday and attending CSD that Saturday. I’ll echo m2ck’s comment that there is no formal campus tour for CSD. I will say however that a campus tour is somewhat unnecessary provided you have a campus map and a sense of direction. People in Alabama are very friendly, so don’t hesitate to ask for directions.</p>

<p>Echoing robotbldmom’s post, it all depends on your family’s work/school schedule, distance from campus, costs, and other factors to figure out when you should visit campus. Since CSD usually falls over MLK Weekend, it is often easier to take a day off and still have a lot of time at UA. Travel is often less expensive in January than in other months, which helps with the cost equation.</p>

<p>Last year in March, there were opportunities to attend seminars with Dean Sharpe and cover the Honors College. Three seperate dates. My D was a NMF and this proved to be well worth the visit and our only visit to campus. Dean Sharpe walked the room and talked to just about everyone before things got started. Then followed up with a letter. Very nice touch. Alabama made my D feel special, no other university or college did that for her. She was still waiting to hear from many top schools but on the drive home she said she was almost sure she was going to Alabama. She now loves it there. So there will be chances to attend functions later on in the spring. Being from the midwest, the warmer weather grabbed her attention!</p>

<p>I believe that Cuttlefish and child were there the day before CSDay as well. I think that if you go to CSDay as your first visit, you need to either be on campus the day before, or do as Robotbldmom did, and stay a few days later so you’re on campus during the beginning of the following week.</p>

<p>Either way, you’re there on a school day which I think is important. </p>

<p>I just don’t think that Saturday should be your only day if your only Bama visit is CSDay.</p>

<p>I also wanted to mention that many High Schools “allow” seniors to make college visits and will mark the absences as “excused” as long as they bring a letter from the college saying that they visited there (check with your school’s guidance office). Bama will have those letters prepared in advance, just ask.</p>

<p>We sometimes did back to back college visits and took a letter from each school so my son could be absent for more than one day. At his high school the student was required to make up all homework assignments and tests. His school’s attendance policy was very strict so you needed those letters.</p>

<p>@Cuttlefish – We are from NJ. Son is NMSF, was accepted and got the tuition scholarship letter. Probable bio major; probably not CBHP; hasn’t had time yet to closely consider UFE (busy finishing up all his apps). It is a long haul so we would want to get the most out of any visit we make down there.</p>

<p>Thanks, all, for your insights. Very helpful folks on this board!</p>

<p>bookmobile: I just reread your OP. Capstone Scholar’s Day is a fun event but as everyone recommended, you would probably want to come a day or two early to have a more personalized visit. CSD alone probably won’t tell you everything your child would want to know. But if it’s the only chance you have to visit then of course you should come and ask your questions.</p>

<p>My D and I visited 3 times. I found UA through M2CK’s posts when I thought my D would be a NMSF. Our first visit was the Wed. before Thanksgiving of her junior year. Took the bus and walking tour. Boy, was the campus beautiful. All the students were gone however. </p>

<p>The whole family came on the 2nd visit for my D. This time we had set up the meet and greets with the dept heads, Dean Sharpe in honors, current students, lunch at Lakeside, admissions, dorm tour, etc. Very well done. </p>

<p>Our 3rd visit was CSD. My D knew she was an NMSF at that point. We met M2CK that day. Such a sweet lady. I was so happy to meet her and thank her for her untiring efforts on CC. She is the reason that we found UA.</p>

<p>I would encourage you to visit whenever it is convenient for you. HTH</p>

<p>My D has been accepted into the Honors College for fall and is waiting to visit the campus before making a final decision. She has applied in CA as well. We want to go to CSD but based on feedback in the threads and also the fact that it falls right before her finals, we decided to plan our visit for the end of January instead. It’s a bit of a hike from CA so want to get the most out of our visit.</p>

<p>^^ sounds like a good choice for you cdenglish949.</p>

<p>M2CK’s usually posts this info. I found it for you.</p>

<p>Yes…If you decide to visit Bama, this is what you need to do…</p>

<p>set up a campus tour time online…try for the early morning one.
Campus Visits - Undergraduate Admissions - The University of Alabama</p>

<p>send an email to Allison Verhine in the Honors College </p>

<p>In the email, include:</p>

<p>tour time and date
student name & contact info
test scores and GPA
(if a likely NMF, indicate so)
intended major
professional interests (pre-med, pre-law, pre-dental, etc)
interest in Computer Based Honors program and/or University Fellows Program (if desired)
Also, include any thing else that interests you about the school…such as touring the new Science and Engineering Complex and Shelby Hall. </p>

<p>Allison will arrange the rest of the day…meeting with dept heads, honors faculty, touring honors dorms, etc.</p>

<p>Allison Verhine - Honor College Recruitment Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Thank you cuttlefish! We are both excited for our visit!</p>

<p>You are welcome! There are several students and parents from Calif. on this board including M2CK. I hope you have a great visit.</p>

<p>Really wish we could make Capstone Scholars Day. Seems like it would be a great opportunity for my son to meet some of the other kids. Unfortunately, CSD is the weekend before exams. Hopefully, we will get down there in Feb. for the Honors Band. Alabama in February sounds much better than Michigan in February. :)</p>

<p>Hi Cuttlefish,
I just wanted to say that M2CK is also the only reason that my NMSF son will be starting engineering at UA in fall 2012; we discovered UA through her posts, spent a day there in August (2-1/2 hours with Dean Sharpe) and are now bleeding Crimson. I don’t know if we will be able to come down from MD for the Capstone Scholars Day, but I look forward to staying in touch with the marvelous UA contingent here on CC.</p>

<p>What hotels would people familiar with the area recommend for Capstone Scholars Day weekend? One with an indoor pool would be great.</p>

<p>Thank you,</p>

<p>Don’t know of a hotel with an indoor pool. </p>

<p>I have personally stayed at the Capstone Hotel on campus, Hampton Inn nearby on Harper Lee Road, and the Microtel near Target. Last year, during Capstone Scholars Day, my D and I stayed 2 nights at the Capstone. It was convenient and expensive. (Close to $200 a night with tax, etc.)</p>

<p>Hope you all have fun. My advice is to try and meet people that you could potentially have as roommates.</p>

<p>xcitfan: Congrats to your son. He will love it at UA.</p>

<p>clsr83 - The Courtyard Inn has an indoor pool. It have good reviews and I know that we are staying there and my dd has talked to one or two other’s that are coming and they are staying there or at the Hilton Garden Inn. Also Microtel.</p>

<p>Hope this helps.</p>