Capstone Summer Honors Ended?

<p>My daughter is a junior very interested in attending Alabama for engineering and the Honors College. We live in PA and she was considering the Capstone Summer Honors program this summer as a way to get a good feel for UA to help her make her decision. </p>

<p>I was checking on the details of the program last week and noticed that it is no longer listed on the HC website. I emailed them and they said the program had been moved to the New College and told me to contact NC directly. I called NC, but they said they are not doing this program.</p>

<p>I wrote back to Honors College letting them know what NC said, but haven’t received a reply yet. Anyone know what happened to the Capstone Summer Honors program? </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Who all did you contact?</p>

<p>If honors thinks that New College is doing it, but NC isn’t, then Honors needs to know that.</p>

<p>I would contact Dr. Jacqueline Morgan…she’s the Ass’t Dean of the honors college. Tell her who you’ve contacted and what was said.</p>

<p>These summer programs are excellent recruiting tools.</p>

<p>I used the main Honors College email for the initial contact and then had a reply from Yolanda Williams stating that New College would be offering it this summer and giving me their phone number. </p>

<p>The woman who answered the phone at NC checked with the dean and said the only summer program they would be offering is in photography.</p>

<p>I will try contacting Dr. Morgan next week–thanks for the suggestion. </p>

<p>Yes, we thought the program would be an excellent opportunity and hope that it turns out to still be offered.</p>

<p>Contact Kathryn Merritt. She’s the Director of External Affairs (I think that’s what it’s called). I KNOW for a fact that she is the one in charge of Capstone Summer Honors Program. I haven’t heard that they are canceling the program. It would be a shame, if so. </p>

<p>My daughter participated in CSHP this past summer (2011). She LOVED every minute of it. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. </p>

<p>Ms. Kathryn Merritt
Director of External Relations
271 Nott Hall
205-348-7053
<a href=“mailto:klmerritt@ua.edu”>klmerritt@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>She will email or call you back within a few days. She was always very prompt with me. Ms. Merritt is a wonderful source for the HC as well.</p>

<p>I will contact her–thanks for the suggestion and her contact information.</p>

<p>And I will take you up on your offer to answer questions if I find out the program is still on. Thanks so much!!</p>

<p>Glad to know your daughter had such a great experience with CSHP.</p>

<p>I attended CSHP TGIF past summer and it was a GREAT experience. People always use “Can you see yourself as a student there?” as a tipping point, and there’s no better way to do that than to actually become a student. I would recommend it to anyone. Feel free to PM me should you have any questions!</p>

<p>This***, excuse me</p>

<p>KP-Are you going to BAMA for certain? I know that you met my daughter at CSHP. She says to tell you “HI”</p>

<p>Does anyone have any experience with the Early College program? They offer a summer residential program. [University</a> of Alabama UA Early College](<a href=“http://uaearlycollege.ua.edu/summer-residential.html]University”>http://uaearlycollege.ua.edu/summer-residential.html) </p>

<p>I wonder whether this could be a replacement for Capstone Summer Honors?</p>

<p>PAY- The Early College Program sounds very much like CSHP. A few differences that I see:
-Early College appears to be an ongoing course load
-Early College doesn’t require an ACT score (CSHP 28 or 29 ACT)
-I didn’t recognize any of the Early College Staff
-The participants age ranges vary greatly, (CSHP is for Juniors only)</p>

<p>There are many similarities. It sort of looks like “an updated” version of CSHP.</p>

<p>asaunmom, yes I am going next year for sure.</p>