Capstone Weekend - National Car Rental - $13/day + tax/fees Compact Cars

<p>Was just looking for a rental for an upcoming trip and found this deal. Good for you travelling next weekend. I was able to price a compact for $13 per day ($41.20 for 2 days with taxes and fees) and a midsize for $15 per day.</p>

<p>From the link, click Specials to Go, and then Last Minute Deals</p>

<p><a href="https://www.nationalcar.com/hotDealsTemplate.do?cm_mmc=Lacek--Retail--ECWeekly_20120821_Member_US_EN--35OffWeeklyRates&msg=national-35-dollars-off-weekly&TLGoff=46003&affiliateRes=Y&iataNumber=NC001537%5B/url%5D">https://www.nationalcar.com/hotDealsTemplate.do?cm_mmc=Lacek--Retail--ECWeekly_20120821_Member_US_EN--35OffWeeklyRates&msg=national-35-dollars-off-weekly&TLGoff=46003&affiliateRes=Y&iataNumber=NC001537</a></p>

<p>Join National’s Emerald Club for free via one of the many links listed on deal sites and rent a midsize car so you are eligible for the Emerald Aisle and can choose your specific vehicle from whatever they have parked in those spots. National doesn’t advertise or mention that BHM has an Emerald Aisle, but it does. I’ve been able to rent a $40,000 SUV for the price of a midsize car. That is an extreme example, but there are usually full size cars, small SUVs, crossovers, and some minivans on the Emerald Aisle. I’ve even seen a pickup truck there.</p>

<p>SEA_tide - I joined the emerald club and made a reservation for a midsize car. Under level of service it says “counter”. It does have my emerald club number listed. Will I be able to go to the emerald aisle, do you know?</p>

<p>Hmmm, found a better coupon code and rebooked, and now it says “emerald booth”. I assume that’s the one I want, right?</p>

<p>It likely said counter because you hadn’t completed your driver profile online. </p>

<p>National does not advertise or mention that BHM has an Emerald Aisle because the airport is too small to provide the enhanced benefits for frequent renters ie the “Executive Aisle”, so your reservation will say “Emerald Booth” rather than “Emerald Aisle.” </p>

<p>When you land in BHM, bypass the rental car counter and go straight to the National/Alamo Section of the lot (they also share their cars with Enterprise, which is located elsewhere in the lot). If you are standing at the booth, turn around and look for where the handicap parking signs would normally be at spots on both sides of the pedestrian walkway. There will be signs that say “National Emerald Club.” Those vehicles comprise the Emerald Aisle and you can choose any of them for free. If you see a certain car you like that is not in the Emerald Aisle, but is similar to what they have in the aisle, ie a different color, they will likely give it to you. I once got a crimson Chevy Impala with Alabama plates this way instead of a different color with OOS plates. </p>

<p>The best vehicles seem to be on the other side of the walkway where one parks the vehicle when returning. The $40k vehicle I mentioned (a Ford Explorer Limited with all the features, including free navigation and satellite radio) was parked there. The next time my family visited, it was parked somewhere else and was $25 extra per day.</p>

<p>It’s not advertised, but if you don’t like the car you picked out or the selection was not good, you can come back anytime and switch to another vehicle in the Emerald Aisle at any National corporate location for free. Some agents won’t know how to do this, but it is possible.</p>

<p>Thanks! I’ll have to bookmark this and look at it closer to Bama Bound. :)</p>