Case-by-case or Standardized Evaluation of Test Scores?

Hi! I’m a current junior taking classes at a very rural high school (~300 students total). My school does not offer any AP courses and only offers one honors course (which I am taking) but does offer dual credit through a local CC. I just learned today that I scored a 1410 on my PSAT, which is the highest score of all time on the PSAT in my school’s history. I am projected to get a 1500 or above on my SAT, which I’m taking this April.

I understand that my transcript will be evaluated based on the classes that my school offers. My question is, will the SAT scores also be considered based on the region? A 1500 would be the highest SAT score of all time in my district and is a very competitive score, but I’m afraid that this score may not be considered in the context of my area, which is relatively low-achieving and non-competitive. It would be a great accomplishment here – like, newspaper-worthy. The next highest PSAT in my grade was a 1310.

1 Like

Congrats on your accomplishments. IMO, a candidate like you will get the most boost from a high test score. It validates your course work and likely signals “potential”. There is a podcast from Yale’s head of admissions on this very topic that is also a thread here on CC. Yale Admissions Director Favors Submitting Scores

4 Likes

The teacher recommendation letter could add tremendous value in your case. Please make sure that whoever writes the letter about you is completely aware of all these stats that you are sharing with us.

And a healthy congrats on your outstanding achievements to date!

Thank you! I will listen! This is a very valuable resource!

My principal (who I have worked with closely as a member of her advisory committee) offered to write my recommendation letter. Since she’d have access to all these records, do you think this is an appropriate option? I have not heard of principals writing rec letters before.

And thank you! :heart:

1 Like

The school is who will dictate who will write them - likely teachers and a counselor. Some allow for extras - but what could the principal ad that they wouldn’t already add about you?

btw - a lot of schools don’t even require or accept letters - so it will depend on where you apply.

Regardless of letters, etc. - congrats on your wonderful accomplishments and keep up the great work.

First of all congrats. Yes, colleges will definitely consider what your high school has to offer and what you’ve done to take full advantage of its opportunities. Most schools have letters from guidance counselors. Your Principal’s letter could fit that bill. Focus on grades and writing your essays when the time comes. Good luck.

I think all colleges say they take a holistic view of all candidates and consider what they are, where they are, and who they are. Some seem to really value building a truly diverse class. I think the fact that you come from a very rural area will earn you some points with many colleges…especially with strong scores.

1 Like

Ooh, I forgot about STARS. My top choices are UIUC and Purdue for their aerospace engineering programs, which is my primary interest. Illinois and Indiana are both pretty rural places in general, and those schools get lots of in-state applicants… do you think location of the school may be a factor? Would a higher concentration of rural applicants muddle those points?

I would think it would help to be the only rural applicant, but I don’t know where you will find that. I know that my kid (senior in HS) who lives in a pretty large suburb was hoping our suburb qualified as a rural place. Sadly, it does not.

For the record, I also got a 1410 PSAT and then got a 1510 SAT followed by a 1540 with superscore. Nice work, you’re set up well. UMich seemed to evaluate the score somewhat standardized, but I have heard that colleges take opportunistic areas into consideration and may think of scores differently dependently.

1 Like

I think you should feel great about how things are going and confident you can turn that into a great college result.

However, I don’t know of many colleges which have been quite as forthcoming as that Yale admissions officer about exactly how they think of test scores. So while what that Yale AO said is an encouraging answer as to Yale, I think you should also be cautious about assuming every college would give the same answer.

All this is just a lead in to me suggesting you take a kind of split approach to your college application list.

I would have a full set of great likely/target/reach colleges on that list where basically you do not need any special consideration. This would usually be 6-8 colleges, 2 likely, and 2-3 each of target and reach. This is not exactly limiting because if you do, say, get a 1500, that is a high score that will be considered desirable by many great colleges before even factoring in context.

Then ALSO add some targets/reaches based on the assumption you will get extra consideration. You don’t have to go crazy but maybe you do a couple more of each (target and reach) based on that assumption.

If you do that, you are covered either way. And again, I am confident that will end with you having some great options.

UIUC does not take LORs. They specifically state this.

I don’t believe Purdue does either - they’re not listed on their website as material needed.

This is why I said it’s on a school basis.

That said, I’m not sure of your state - but are you able to afford each?

UIUC out of state is about $60K a year for engineering and Purdue OOS (out of state) is low/mid 40s when you factor in engineering tuition - both per year.

PS - you won’t get into schools or not into schools solely based on LORs - so the fact that they don’t take them won’t disadvantage you. Everyone is in the same situation.

Good luck.

1 Like

I’m actually in-state for UIUC and qualify for the Children of Veterans tuition waiver, which eliminates 120 credit hours worth of tuition at any public school in Illinois. I didn’t know that they didn’t take LORs, though – oops. Oversight. Purdue has a better program IMO but I’d rather be debt free and it’s ABET either way.

I think there’s a lot of great aero programs.

Purdue is the cradle of astronauts and obviously is great. But UIUC is great too.

The campuses are very different - it’s not just big 10 to big 10, an hour away.

A debt free degree is FAR BETTER than paying and I suspect you will have equal job opportunities at UIUC as you would at Purdue - and I could name 20 other schools that don’t have the rank of either, btw. My son is in aero - turned down Purdue for a no name and yet works with Purdue, Michigan and more…you mentioned ABET and they have Akron, Western MIchigan too - same jobs, same salaries.

If you’re low income, than an Illinois state school is definitely for you. And I wouldn’t worry at all about the LOR situation.

You do want to ensure you have an acceptance though…I don’t know your budget but you might want to ensure you have match and safety schools too.

Good luck.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.