Case Western Reserve University Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

So, was he waitlisted or deferred? The special program at Case is prob PPSP, which is what I’m applying for too. Can you tell me a bit more about how we can apply “regular but submit EA”? I thought this wasn’t allowed, and thus I didn’t do HYP REA, even though I wanted do.

Yes he applied for PPSP as well. He was waitlisted. I don’t remember well but I think there should be an option that you choose regular round when you apply and you just need to submit application early by the deadline. My son applied for both PPSP and HYP REA.

2 Likes

Can you (and everyone) share the merit scholarship amounts so we can see what CWRU is offering these days?

4 Likes

@sherik I have reached out to CWRU admissions in the past and they have stated that the method of application ED/EA/RD has no bearing on what merit aid is offered (and I have seen the evidence of that over the years in this forum)

3 Likes

Yes. It is 28,000 for 4 years. Hope this information helps. The claim of being close to half tuition was based on the amount from 2022-23. Tuition then was 62,000.

6 Likes

My son received $24,500 per year in merit with the ED acceptance

6 Likes

Case western is 61k per year ?

that’s just tuition ^^

1 Like

61k is the tuition cost for 2022-23. https://case.edu/admission/tuition-aid

COA ~$82K per year

1 Like

Not overqualified but probably yield protection?

Yield protection is typically for overqualified candidates.
If a student has a profile that is competitive for Yale, for example, they are definitely an above average applicant to Case. Thus, Case is hesitant to offer them acceptance because they assume the student will get in elsewhere, and choose to attend there instead (which would indubitably lower Case’s yield).
I concede geographical residence is also a factor to yield protection, though.

US Citizen (in USA), applying FinAid. Does Case asking for further docs/FASFA verification mean anything for EA?

I think so. I’ve heard that the fin aid office gets a list of prospective admittees a few days prior to help them ensure everything is in order. Case, I’m pretty sure, sends fin aid info with the acceptance email.

1 Like

I don’t buy the yield argument. Case has a horrific yield.

It could be that an AO just saw the student differently. Could be they woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

1 Like

Case has a horrific yield.

Which is why they’re trying to fix it? I’m no AO but I’ve seen a pattern over the last 1/2 years of them deferring applicants EA and then pressurizing them to ED2. Wasn’t this also the college who threatened to revoke an application because the students got off the mailing list? They’re desperate to make sure the people they take in are going to attend. I thought it was quite well known that Case, among Northeastern and Tufts, are infamous for their yield protection tactics.

2 Likes

Well a lot of schools seem to exert that pressure. That’s just good salesmanship. Miami is another and my daughter had 1-2 more.

Looking at the CDS Tufts yield of over 50% is three times that of CWRU. NEU is in between.

But I see your point.

1 Like

Is there a sense for what percent of Qualified EA’s they pressure (or attempt to) into ED?

1 Like

Case is the only school I’ve heard of that threatened to withdraw a student from consideration for unsubscribing to their spam.

And I wouldn’t call that good salesmanship.

4 Likes

@MrkInMerrick - I don’t know - but even as RD applicants, my daughter and son were getting lots of - there’s still time. Emory, WUSTL, Miami - you name it.

@citivas - yes, I remember that story on here. If I recall they didn’t threaten, but asked the student to confirm their interest in staying on - and yes, from the POV you can call it yield protection.

But at 16% yield (21/22) - whatever they are doing isn’t working.

Good salesmanship maybe the wrong words - but if they pulled 50 or 100 or 200 people out of their apps, it would help their yield under the assumption those aren’t going. So maybe it’s good yield management. But that’s different than purposely turning down an accomplished candidate.

Of course, would they send them back their check? I don’t know…

3 Likes