Case Western Reserve University Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

But unless you are an Olympian of sorts (academic or sports), how are you supposed to know which school is a fit and if you are over or under qualified? What sort of a kid would be too good for Case? I wouldn’t know where to start.

3 Likes

True, it’s very hard to gauge given the increasing unpredictability of admissions. But, their average SAT for enrolled applicants is in the 1400s. If you have a 1550+ alongside a good gpa (4.5+ W), I’d say academically you’re on the higher-end of applicants. Also, from what I can tell of past admits, most of them engage in typical ECs – volunteering, school clubs, sports etc. If you have some sort of a published paper or a patent, you’re going to be “overqualified.”

1 Like

Certainly no patents or published papers here :wink:

By now I worry about SAT and GPA being too high.

2 Likes

I’m sure they don’t defer/reject all applicants who are on the higher-end of things. Individual profiles vary obviously, but I was just noting something I’ve been seeing. I hope things work out of you! <3

2 Likes

ehhh - i’ll have to disagree.

Yes, CWRU is the fall back for an Ivy. But at the same time, it’s also a reach for many.

And many with research or patents (and there’s not that many) get rejected other places.

As none of us are AOs, we don’t truly know. We’re all guessing and that’s fair - I personally don’t buy this though.

3 Likes

And many with research or patents (and there’s not that many) get rejected other places.

I agree. It’s just that papers and patents are truly rare achievements. Students with those kinds of things tend to have aspirations for schools like MIT, Stanford etc.

P.S: I’ll keep you guys updated. I have a patent and two papers and I applied to Case Western EA. I also have a 1590 SAT and a 4.0 UW. I have tried my best to show interest by visiting, attending sessions etc. but I’ve sort of reconciled that I’m not going to get in. I’d be happy to hear otherwise, though!

3 Likes

You may want to think about it in the terms yield prediction rather than yield protection. As much as colleges like to say there is a holistic review of every candidate to create a well balanced class… There is a big element of predictive analytics, and schools like CWRU with a 16% yield rate have to operate very differently than a school like ND that is almost 60%. Schools on the common app get all sorts of Meta on yield rate by profile, who they are losing accepted student to, etc.

3 Likes

No. CWRU asked for extra documents last year a couple of weeks before EA on my daughter last year. They also have forms specific to CWRU. She was deferred EA and accepted ED2. It means the financial aid department has more questions. As an fyi we don’t qualify for financial aid. She did get merit. Also of note she loves the school.

4 Likes

Oh that is easy. The typical CWRU student has multiple majors or secondary majors and interest across more than one school. They are there because maybe they want music - say a clarinet major and electrical engineering. They might also pick up an economics minor. Meanwhile they tend to be proud to be a bit on the geeky side. It is not unheard of for a frat to have aside from volunteering D&D as the connection. Many are excited by the idea of going into the thinkbox to build and develop things and yes they do have patents. Many want internships, co-ops or international programs and have plans on taking 5 years to graduate if that is of their interests. Others are hoping for the five year Bachelor/Masters program (which might be six if they co-op) in engineering.

Why is my daughter there? She originally thought she wanted where her brother is and I went though engineering really isn’t at that school. It rightly rejected her (thank goodness) because she simply wasn’t the right fit. With an EA deferral she went to listen to CWRU and said that she could finally understand what made a school special. She switched to ED2 and is there.

How does she fit? Plans on declaring Mech Engineering major, theatre - dramaturgy (being created for her since doesn’t exist) and directing secondary major. With interest in psych, soc, and history - any of which may wind up as a minor. She has already in her first semester performed on the CWRU stage and been cast in other show. She was also hired to work (not internship or work study) at the Maltz Performing Arts Center as production assistant working directly under the theatre director. She isn’t interested in partying at all. CWRU students know how to have fun but learning is number one. She knows how the school sports teams are doing but hasn’t seen any of them play. She proudly wears CWRU gear and with her roommate - nursing major - has mastered Cleveland’s public transit, visited the museums, theatres and neighborhoods. Hasn’t seen a cleveland team play yet though. Where are they from? Roommate Hawaii and we are from South Florida. What were their grades in High School? GPAs weighted in the 4.6-4.7 range and tests in the high 1400-1550s. Many students today at CWRU do have the 1500+ test scores. Remember test optional means the typical school averages are wrong and students aren’t sending the 1400s anymore and the ranges you see are antiquated.

CWRU really does look at demonstrates interest. In the ED round no nothing like yield protection exists. Those students are saying I am coming.

In thr EA round last year we saw demonstrated interest was clearly an issue for getting in.

Oh we don’t qualify for financial aid but CWRU is quite nice with surprise merit in the acceptance letter. They also add a line directed at the student as a PS. So my daughter has told them she would like to be a Disney style Imagineer. The response on her letter was “cannot wait to see you on the Case Western stage, I can just imagineer it”. Comes from the Dean of Admissions.

We know for sure she is a typical Case student - when she was invited and did audition for the theatre department for a scholarship and general introduction she was telling them her strange interest and how her friends didn’t get it. The laughed and said “oh typical Case Western student”. She is. Everyone she knows has the cross college majors/secondary major/minor thing happening except the nursing students because they don’t fully have time yet. The ones she knows do express the interest though.

3 Likes

I remember that story and it wasn’t actually a threat. It was also a correct assumption by the school. The school looks at demonstrates interest. The student posted on Reddit that they weren’t interested in attending CWRU and applied because it was free and no supplemental essays. They had not shown any demonstrated interest. The student then unsubscribed to mailings. That is how the school communicates with you and one way to demonstrate interest is by clicking. The emails to an applied student are different than the ones sent to encourage the app and to read them most are much more specific to the applicant. So people asking about engineering get mail about that etc. interested students would either click through or ignore the emails. This applicant dropped off the lists completely. CWRU then generated an email stating that they noticed the he student no longer wanted emails from the school and that he should respond to the admissions office if this was in error or if he was no longer interested in CWRU. They gave a deadline of a couple of weeks out. The applicant then didn’t respond and posted on Reddit and it was shared here that the school was removing him for unsubscribing. CWRU sent one more reminder and then removing him from
The pool.

Truth is the applicant would have hated CWRU. The school is very electrically chatty even to students and parents once there. Each student has not just advisors but a navigator to help them almost hand hold them through the process. I get daily or weekly at the least email updates telling me what is happening on campus and my daughter jokes about having to figure out when she has a package due to all the CWRU mail. If a student doesn’t want an email chatty school. CWRU is not the place.

2 Likes

The EA deferral didn’t seem like pressure at all. In fact U Miami did the same thing. There is some
Evidence that U Miami didn’t even get through all the applications Ea. Not sure about CWRU. It simply shared the student was given a deferral and said it was the students choice ED2 or RD and what to do by a certain date. students WL to Case get weekly emails checking to see if they want to stay.

I just went back and re-read the previous topic on this and I didn’t find any place where the student said they posted on Reddit that they didn’t want to attend. Perhaps we’re talking about different examples?

I don’t see how torturing people with multiple spam emails a day is an appropriate rite of passage to demonstrate interest. There’s attending info sessions, doing interviews, tours, reaching out to AO or other professors, reviewing the website, etc. But how is it if someone does all those things and simply doesn’t want several Case emails a day unrelentingly 7 days a week, month after month, they must not be interested?

I’ve unsubscribed from many emails from services I continue to pay to use. So I’m clearly interested in the service, even if I prefer not to get junk emails. It’s bizarre to me that some people think not wanting an inbox filled with spam is a valid barometer of interest.

6 Likes

I read the thread here and on Reddit. It was the same student for sure. There was another student that accidentally removed themself from mailings. When they revived the

same email that student wrote and said it was in error and were considered.

Any which way it isn’t an automatic not considered. It’s a school that email communication blasts is part of how they function. It makes sense to me for them to question that why. If it’s a school that either doesn’t communicate like that throughout your connection with the school or doesn’t look at demonstrated interest that’s different. But those as the student felt spam mailings are really part of the school.

For example - last week sent to students and parents here is a part of an email.

It’s who the school is…

Are you saying that an attending student or parent can continue to expect 2-3 emails a day every day like during the recruitment phase? If so, whoever is running that function is not aware that over-communication becomes noise that causes even the important communication to be ignored reflectively. My company has a team that approves (and challenges) all group wide communication before its sent for that reason.

3 Likes

Yes. They will still get a lot of communication. As a parent I get weekly emails like the one I posted as well as others from various departments etc. The student also receives them in the inbox plus safety notices etc. The students also uses school community apps - a few of them for organizations, departments, safety etc.

To be honest I also get weekly emails from Emory for my son. That one is funny though because I am an alum so I get two of half of those - one addressed as a parent and one as an alum.

Some universities tell parents nothing. CWRU tells everything. Emory is somewhere in the middle and at least with Emory you can tell them daily, weekly, monthly etc.

The student emails go to the school accounts. Parents one to parents. At most schools parents get nothing unless the student gives permission. Both of mine in college gave permission and access to some stuff not all - we can log on as a parent to pay a bill for example - we cannot see grades. The student can authorize grades and medical and more too. Depends on what they want.

2 Likes

I don’t have a particular dog in this fight, just wanted to note that the volume of emails my D23 receives has dropped significantly since her EA application was submitted.

Indeed, before she submitted, there were nearly daily communications, but since then it’s more like 2-3 a week.

1 Like

It’s been interesting that Case is one of the few schools that has sent emails specifically addressed to us as the applicant’s parents.

Dear Ms. Tamagotchi,

I’m writing a quick message to let you know how pleased I am to have recently received S23’s application for admission to Case Western Reserve University. I’m looking forward to reviewing S23’s application in the coming weeks. I know you will play an important role in S23’s college search, and I want to make sure you have my contact information in case you have any questions.

I don’t mind the email volume, it’s easy to filter them and put them in a folder or whatever. I would definitely prefer it if Case didn’t send so many physical mailings, though.

2 Likes

The physical mailings will drop off. We actually never got a lot of those. Admitted students do get a really cute package of merchandise. Mostly useful school supplies. If they attend an in person event for admitted students they will be mailed a package of other merchandise too. Only other physical mailing that should have come was a required reading book for all first years. There was an error with the publisher/distributor so it didn’t come in the mail but rather was given to them in person.

That tracks correctly.

I wonder if yield is one of the reasons they release EA results after most schools report ED. That way kids who got in with ED would withdraw before Case announces. Just a thought.

1 Like